Is this battery life normal?

Last Updated:

1. Haste75

Haste75 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My settings are: Juice defender running,
    brightness on the middle setting (set from the control panel widget)
    email syncing every 15 mins,
    Nothing else syncs automaticly and i dont use any widgets.

According to my battery usage, Android System takes up around 45% of my total use.

At the moment, im getting around 12 hours from a full charge and i've had the phone now for just under a week.

Personaly, 12 hours just isnt quite enough. Im happy to charge every night, but i when i come to charge i want there to be a reasonable amount of battery life left so that i have some leeway should i need to use my phone for whatever reason.

Is this battery life normal or average, or are you achieving better results? If so, any further tips to improve? (I have read the majority of battery life topics on this board)

Advertisement
  2. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Ditch juice defender. Many find it actually zaps battery.

Especially if on t-mobile, switching on/off the apn seems to use power

4. Haste75

I had actually noticed an improvment in battery since installing, however this could be due to the battery 'settling in' having had a few charges.

Having just unplugged it, i'll uninstall today and see how well it lasts and report back later.

5. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

On the other hand, some people find it an excellent app that saves their battery...... (including me on O2)

Each to their own...... try it and see if it works for you, if not, un-install...... but don't write it off until you've tried it.

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I did.

Normal overnight with data syncs running is 3%. With juice defender 8%.

Read the market reviews and you'll see a lot of people having the same experience as I did.

7. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

I have read the reviews and I don't concur. But that's the beauty of free apps. If they work for you keep them, as I did with Juice Defender.....if they don't work for you bin them, as you did.

But I wouldn't go around telling people not to install it, i'd suggest try it and see what it does for their usage pattern. (as everyone is different)

Although I did find Juice Plotter a little heavy on the CPU cycles, so I removed that. ;)

8. Haste75

Im going to re-take my topic here, as my main question hasnt been answered :p

Would you say that 12-13 hours is normal battery life, considering my usage mentioned in my original post?

9. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I was getting the same when i first got my phone for about a week until i read a post that suggested switching off and a battery pull. Dont know if its co-incidence but since then my Android System usage has gone right down to < 10%. But it may just be that my battery has now bedded in as i get about 14+ hours with 50 - 60& battery left. One other this is around the same time I stopped using the HTC live wallpaper which might account for the high Android System usage but now I'm using the Ocean Wave Live wallpaper and its still fine.

10. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

12 hours seems a little low, I got at least got 8 hours when I left the thing on permanently screen on (about 30% backlight) and active for a night (set to clock) and I still had about 20% charge. The best I had was in airplane mode about 2-3 days and I was using the camera and MP3 a fair bit.

11. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

I think it might be worth you looking "under the hood" and see if you've got any processes clocking up CPU cycles and subsequently hitting battery life. (or any services/programs running that you don't actually need as each one will take CPU and battery)

12. Haste75

Could you be a little more specific when you say look under the hood? Where do i look for my CPU cycles?

13. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the link in post #2 there's detail in there how i do it.

Haste75 likes this.
  14. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

12 hours does seem a little low. and 45% high unless you fiddle with the phone a lot. Do you have a task killer? I know some people say you don't need them but I find it helps stop things running in the background and using juice

15. Haste75

I did think 45% seemed high, and having just checked its now 50%. I've followed the previous posters advice and installed system pannel in an attempt to figure out whats using up the juice.

I have rooted my phone....is this likley to be a source of battery loss?

16. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

I get about that. Less if I use it loads. :(
    I have brightness on middle, email pushing through whenever, but I think that's it.

17. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

As an example, I unplugged my phone from power at 6am this morning. I've sent some texts, checked out facebook, had email sync all day, checked some forums and messed about with a few other things. Not a heavy day by any stretch of the imagination.

But my battery now stands at 60% (6pm), just by using the settings/techniques in my post earlier. And that includes juice defender, even though people slate it, it works for me.

Hope this helps.

"Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk"

18. Haste75

Zarch, i wish i could claim the same battery level. I unplugged my desire at around half 11-12 today, and im currently at around 60% with what i would consider mild usage.

I have followed the instructions in your blog post, although i have uninstalled juice defender today to see if i can fare better without it.

My battery is definitely a sore point for this phone, and im still hoping for a magic fix but it's starting to look less likely.

Maybe Froyo....fingers crossed.

19. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

Try disabling always on mobile data in the settings, and turn off 3g when you're not using it. I use GSM only unless I need 3g. You can download a widget that allows you to switch quickly.

Those tips massively helped me!

20. Haste75

If you turn of always on mobile data, does that mean my mail wont sync as i have it set to do?

21. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

Your mail will still sync just fine.

Haste75 likes this.
  22. Haste75

I've tried searching, but no one seems to have a definite answer....What does enabling/disabling mobile data actually do??

If things still sync on demand, what is happening?

23. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

As I said before, this seems to use MORE power as you have to re-establish the connection each time anything needs net access.

On Tmobile I find this uses lots more power.

24. Jayceewuk

Jayceewuk Member

I'm getting similar results to Zarch as far as battery life goes. Today its currently at 13 hours since unplugged and I still have over 50% left. One thing I did was install Astro File Manager which has a Process Manager built in. Using this you can see which processes are running and therefore hopefully work out whats eating your battery.

25. Zarch

Zarch Well-Known Member

Good call. Along the similar lines to me using SystemPanel Lite to find out what is running under the Hood and using the battery.

Remember, the Desire is a mini computer and you have to manage it as such.

16hrs now and still around 30%

"Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk"