• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone worth 530$ ?

Nexus One worth 530$ ?

• Yes !

Votes: 51 38.9%
  • No !

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • Ehh Maybe...but will wait for price drop.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Not really so Ill opt for subsidized...

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManMythLegend

Sep 3, 2009
I stand by my opinion that the only way a phone can ever be a "iphone killer" is by being in the 200$ price point and open to existing plans.

Nexus has failed to do this. So IMO that question has been answered before its released.

That said....

From a purely computing , gadget , electronics stand point.
Is the Nexus one worth 530$ ?

3GS unlocked on Craigslist will run you 3-500$ depending on memory size.

Moto Droid can be had for 200-300 on CL.

I usually fork over 3-350 for new phones((unsubbed)) usually within 2 months of release.

So this phone would be by and large my biggest phone purchase. Considering it really cant do anything my rooted G1 cant do ((it just does it faster)),that 3-350 has and remains my make or break point. Considering how fragile phones are and how easily it can be misplaced not sure I can justify it

What about you guys ?

LMFAO at all the people that throught Google was really going to sell this unsubsidized for 200 bucks.

Yes this will be a great phone but is this truely the game changer it claimed to be? Hell no.

One rate plan to choose from and current tmo customers need to up their plan. Fail.

I'm not entirely sure how many people will be lured away from their current providers for this phone honestly. Seriously its a nice phone but just another android phone (without rate plan options of course). I don't plan on moving to America's most limited 3g network for this phone.

Upvote 0
My rooted G1 died today (got dropped and one of the battery pins came loose.. Seems to be common) so this has me thinking that spending $530 on a phone is a bit concerning.. I wonder if any option will offer insurance.. Also if it is possilble to go data only with the unlocked version and use google voice this will be way cheaper as far as cost of onwership is concerned.

Upvote 0
Thats not bad.. isn't the droid $559.99 with no contract? $199.99 2 yr contract? This is better IMO and cheaper...

As mentioned he one year contract...and theres no ridiculous mandatory increase in price plan or restriction to non family plans.

I could have accepted a high price if Tmo subd and you could get it for any existing plan. But BOTH the ridiculous high price AND super limited plan is a smack in the face.

I thought if Google subd that it would be a sign of ad filled phones. I didnt think theyd go so far in the opposite direction as to help telecoms gouge consumers even further.

If Google isnt evil they sure are doing a good job of masking it.

Upvote 0
Americans are too stupid to understand that subsidies don't solve everything. You're still paying the same amount even if you get it on contract. Here in Europe if it is the equivalent price it will sell like crazy.

I bet we will get a bunch of taxes and shipping/customs fees on top of it. Also, what do we do if it breaks or something? Ship it back?

Upvote 0
The price seems to be the same as any other decently capable smartphone. I don't understand the outrage. You didn't think that you could buy it for $200 with no contract did you? And get a rebate on top of that too? I firmly believe that the only way this screwed up industry will ever change is when we start paying for the phone, have no contract, and tell our providers that we're switching because of the service issues and plan price gouging. You know, actual competition.

But don't fret, after the excitement dies down the phone will appear like all the others with lower prices and the same old contracts. Same old issues that we idiots in north amerika are most comfortable with. But by gawd our phone only cost $100 so that makes it ok. It is like leasing a car, it seems cheap up front but we pay more in the long run and have many restrictions and extra costs over time. We can bitch and moan online and point to polls that show how dissatisfied people are with the business practices and yadayada but that doesn't change anything. They have you over the barrel all because the toys seem cheap. Doesn't matter that the usage costs are insane and the actual service is substandard in many cases.

Upvote 0
"Americans are too stupid to understand that subsidies don't solve everything."

We "stupid" Americans are the ones that designed this phone. We "stupid" Americans are also smart enough to figure out that unlocked doesn't always mean useful - this phone is effectively locked to only one US carrier as the phone simply doesn't support the carrier frequency of the only other GSM provider.

I suspect this comment came from a "smart" european, likely someone in the sunshine-filled no-so-Great Britain. Am I right... mate?

Upvote 0
We "stupid" Americans are the ones that designed this phone.
Nope. HTC designed and manufactured the phone and they are a Taiwanese company.

We "stupid" Americans are also smart enough to figure out that unlocked doesn't always mean useful - this phone is effectively locked to only one US carrier as the phone simply doesn't support the carrier frequency of the only other GSM provider.
The reason unlocked isn't useful is because, unlike the rest of the world, the US carriers all use different frequencies and some even use CDMA. That's not smart.

Upvote 0
That's true. I've never bought a subsidized phone ever, because my provider is the cheapest for me so far. I pay 19 cents per minute (charged per second, not minute) and a text message costs 1.5 cents.

OTOH, these smartphones are a tad more expensive than what I've been used to, so I'll probably end up getting a subsidized one anyway, and after the 6-month contract is up, change back to what I currently use.

That's the beauty of having compatible networks :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones