is this physically possible?

Last Updated:

1. JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can we get the Droid's screen to use less power...anyway that the power can be manipulated to draw less battery?

Advertisement
  2. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Lowering the brightness uses less power. I don't think there is anything else you can do to make it use less.

3. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

turn the brightness down

Go into settings:sound and display:brightness

4. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

Use the auto brightness option. Dims the screen in low-light situations. Brightens the screen when in brightly lit / outside in the sun. Works great.

FYI ... I just got two days of talk, text, web, app use out of my Droid before recharging. I'll admit, my talk time was less than normal, but I was stuck in a car, bored, playing games, surfing the web and texting with friends. I am super impressed with this!!

5. JoeProcopio

I keep the brightness low all the time...but I steam and get a day normally. On the weekend I get two days...no streaming.

6. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

That's probably pretty normal depending on how much you are using it throughout the day.

If you do a lot of texting or short burst usage (use for 10 seconds, put it down for a minute or 2, use for 10 seconds, repeat) Lowering the screen timeout could help some as well.

7. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I use screebl (screen blank ) and have seen a noticeable difference in battery longevity. This way i can keep my device screen timeout to 15 seconds. I wish there was a 5-7 seconds setting and I would be in heaven. Did I mention its FREE :D or if you prefer the Pro version offers locale support for $1.99

'Screebl is an application that controls power saving features of your phone based on orientation. Never have the screen blank again while using your phone, and SAVE BATTERY at the same time. It's possible with Screebl!'

Screebl Lite v1.9.0 Application for Android | Tools

I am telling you once you get used to the ability of screebl you cant live without it. After I flash a new rom before I have it reinstalled and enabled I go nuts with the screen timing out. Screebl stops the black outs and saves battery too!

8. JoeProcopio

I use screebl too. But the screen still uses upwards of 40%...guess the technology just doesn't allow any other battery savings. That's the only thing I find really annoying...that and the slowdowns on the android keyboard in landscape mode I get all the time...

9. bigbee

bigbee Well-Known Member

If only handset vendors like Motorola would think of this when creating a product. They could build in timeout values, automatic dimming, and a proximity sensor to turn the screen off when you hold it up to your face. Oh, wait...

10. JoeProcopio

Just want better battery life...would settle for a 2000mah battery that fits in the regular battery compartment

11. keyesdav

keyesdav Member

Hey B. In Screebl Pro there is an option to set the screen timeout, including a setting of "minimal" which on most phones is about 5 seconds. That's what I use myself, and once you're used to it, it's quite nice.

12. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

If only we had a phone that allowed people to develop apps to solve shortcommings with the default install or to enhance the usability of the phone...

Oh wait.

13. JoeProcopio

Well I was off today...MLK day...and was using the phone for web from 8a-2p and threw it on the charger with 30% battery still left...that was 6 hours of use with the screen at 30% brightness...so it seems that the act of streaming or the apps themselves do most of the draining that I experience during my 2 hour commute in the morning. So now if the phone wouldn't draw so much battery when it streams...I would be very satisfied....

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it. LCD's use power, and so does constant 3G/EVDO streaming. Besides having a AMOLED screen I don't think it can get any more efficient then we are now.

15. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

You pwned me :( I am fanatical about screebl. I even picked up the pro version and I dont even use locale :D and on top of that I even knew about that setting you just pointed out but I thought it meant the phones minimal setting which is 15 seconds on the Droid that I already have set. But alas changing the setting to minimal does make it black out after 5 seconds.

You my friend, are da MAN and I have given you reputation as a result. Many thanks buddy!

16. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

lol, but all sarcasm aside, screebl is sweet because yes timeout values are nice except for when they turn your screen off when you are still using it. that's where screebl comes and I <3 it for this!