Is this possible????

Last Updated:

1. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm just wondering if its possible to somehow run a program on the EVO that is normally ran on Windows mobile phones? Is this something that's possible with a "Rooted" EVO maybe? Is it possible at all? Thanks for any assistance.

Advertisement
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

I don't think so. You'd need to be able to run the WinMob OS, or an emulator, on top of Android, and I'm not aware of any such options.

QuickDraw likes this.
  3. QuickDraw

I kinda had a feeling that it wasn't, but I had to ask. Oh well, thanks for the info.

4. adseguy

adseguy Well-Known Member

What's easier is to remote into your desktop on your phone, then you can run any program you want. I do it all the time and on our 4.3" screen it is nice to navigate around.

midget likes this.
  5. midget

midget New Member

thanks adseguy! which remote program do you use?

6. QuickDraw

You'll have to be more specific. I have no idea what you're saying here. Also, it would be nice if you could throw in some instructions/or point me to some somewhere on the web. Thanks.

7. uapyro

uapyro Active Member

midget and QuickDraw like this.
  8. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

Then after you get remote desktop to work, you'll need a windows mobile emulator for XP, Vista, 7.

Imo, not worth the trouble

QuickDraw likes this.
  9. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Remote desktop clients are super slow even on Wifi... You can probably manage a few changes on servers but to use it as a small laptop is too far fetched... The delay time and rendering they use is atrocious... It takes a few seconds to render a webpage loading up so I wouldn't recommend it other than to do a few setting changes while away...

You can't even stream music over remote clients...

QuickDraw likes this.
  10. QuickDraw

Thanks for the reply. That logmein option looked like a good idea, but after researching it a bit, it didn't look like it would be much better/or different then the windows remote option [VERY SLOW]. I've pretty much decided to put this "WANT" of mine on hold until I have better options on the table. Thanks again.

midget likes this.
  11. uapyro

uapyro Active Member

I use Remote Desktop on my netbook all the time. It work's great over WIFI and is not sluggish at all. Even on the phone, as long as I have a decent signal, about half the bars, it works great as well.

Part of the sluggishness you mention may be from having everything set all the way up and turned on. There's different optimizations for different connections, but I have mine set set for full screen at 32bit color with no drives mounted. I don't remember the other settings at the moment.

If you have the setting for bring audio to device, you can stream music. I don't remember if the android client does this, but it's built in for the desktop clients.

12. uapyro

uapyro Active Member

I just tried it on my Evo, and yes, you can stream music over it. And it sounds very good over the cell connection.