Is this the case?

Last Updated:

1. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it true that sprint for the most part has the same coverage as verizon because of sprint and verizons roaming agreements.

Advertisement
  2. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Well-Known Member

Yeah from what i have heard and read, this is indeed true.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yes. This is a fact. It is mandated by the FCC.

4. rldev

rldev Well-Known Member

This is not entirely true. The roaming agreement does not guarantee evdo coverage. Also roaming phones are not a priority on another's network. So the coverage is not the same. Still, Sprint's coverage is pretty good.

5. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay I have a sprint air card and get good service and there coverage maps show me in there 3g area. But there coverage maps show in the fair area for voice it's all 1900MHz should I expect good voice service two or are voice and 3g two different beast's. If anybody knows thank you in advance.

6. Moe2005

Moe2005 Member

Usually, when you are roaming on Verizon you only get 1x data (or none at all). Before the Alltel/Verizon merger, Sprint had an agreement with Alltel in which there was EVDO roaming. I don't know if that is still the case...

7. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

I get EVDO coverage when I'm roaming, at my dads in Jackson, MI. and in Reed City, MI..

8. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I've always had similar coverage. When I can't get Sprint, I can usually get either 1x or EV roaming on Verizon for free. Overlapping networks at a lower price has kept me on Sprint for the better part of 7 years now.

9. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I have at least three places in the Philly burbs where I get almost no Sprint signal but Verizon is fine. Tried to get my sister to switch to Sprint, but her house was a Sprint dead zone where Verizon was kicking strong. I've experienced that in a couple other areas including my office.

10. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

I heard from a friend that Verizon was going to downgrade their towers to save money. He said his buddy is an ATT rep and told him that. Can't say I really believe that coming from a person that works for Verizons main competitor, just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

11. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

I suppose an ATT rep could be the 16 year old kid that sells ATT phones off a cart in the mall

How does one "downgrade" a tower?

Do they take equipment out and sell it to some other Carrier? If so who is gonna buy the CDMA equipment.

12. IOWA

I very very highly doubt that. Verizon is raking in the dough right now. With their sky high prices and subscriber base, downgrading would be in the worst interest of their company. The ATT guy is clearly lying to make up for the bad ATT network. Ive encountered misinformed, or lying reps at every carrier. All they want is that sale. Especially 3rd party brokers.

13. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

In my experience around the country with Sprint and roaming often calls will not come through - but you are able to get texts and make calls just fine. Experiences may be different in different areas and at different times of the day (because of priority).

14. IOWA

I myself haven't had any problems.. but this can be device specific.. and it could also mean your prl is not up to date. That's why I loved my sanyo phones. Full featured flips(at that time) very durable, high quality speakerphone and ear piece microphone, and exceptional reception. I remember many times traveling my phone would have 2 to 3 bars service and my gfs rumor right next to it would have little to no service. I still to this day think us smartphone users sacrifice a bit of radio power for everything else we get.