• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this the end for us?

The end? You mean that if HTC announced today that they are never, ever, going to update Hero to 2.x, your Hero would suddenly become unusable, or perhaps explode?

Please proceed to the popular "zomg giev me my update!" thread and rant there. There is no need to create a new thread for every marginally coherent thought that passes through your head.
Hopefully a moderator will come and remove your irrelevent ranting. My question is totally valid and not part of any general "I want an update thread" of which you will not see a single posting from me. My comment is in the context of a new model being released and where this leaves the Hero. Perhaps another genuinely helpful forum member (obviously not yourself) might have some previous experience of how HTC have dealt with this in the past. I am truly amazed that my tongue in cheek use of "the end" could be actually taken literally by someone!

Upvote 0
There's definitely no need to post insulting comments. If you think a post is pointless then simply pass on by or use the Report button to bring it to a Mod's attention.

On topic:
HTC have openly committed to bringing Android 2.x to the Hero, and to then fail to deliver would be a huge PR disaster. If anything, the announcement of upcoming devices running the Sense UI is a good thing for the Hero; it means that the UI framework will be well-tested before release.

Upvote 0
There's definitely no need to post insulting comments. If you think a post is pointless then simply pass on by or use the Report button to bring it to a Mod's attention.

On topic:
HTC have openly committed to bringing Android 2.x to the Hero, and to then fail to deliver would be a huge PR disaster. If anything, the announcement of upcoming devices running the Sense UI is a good thing for the Hero; it means that the UI framework will be well-tested before release.
Hi Slug - thanks for that - just looking for a bit of reassurance! Back to waiting now:)

Upvote 0
It seems extremely likely that the Hero will be getting the 2.1 update. The only thing disconcerting about the news of this new device is that they are claiming it will be the first Android 2.1 device. That bothers me because I can't imagine this phone is quite ready for prime time, and if it's to be the first 2.1 phone, that means our Heros will need to wait until after its release.

If this does turn out to be the case, I will very likely be flashing my Hero to one of the unofficial 2.1 ROMs, assuming MoDaCo doesnt have a 2.1 flavored version out.

Upvote 0
Why will 2.0 be SO much better out of interest?
To be honest I'm not really sure and wasn't actually that bothered until I found out that Googles last 2 apps/updates (Goggles and maps) won't run on 1.5. I can live without extra operating system bells and whistles, but do like to benefit when an app is improved.

Upvote 0
Why will 2.0 be SO much better out of interest?

Android 2.0 is the same OS version that is on the Motorola Droid. It has extended bluetooth features, as well as the whole Google Maps Navigation.

The Hero is still running the old 1.5 firmware, and sadly just about everything has moved on to at least 1.6 or even 2.0, so all of a sudden we're losing App support, just take the new Google Maps update, giving additional layer options and distance features (it's only available on 1.6 and newer). That is why we are all desperately wanting this 2.1 update. Our Heros are starting to show their age and are in dire need of a facelift.

Upvote 0
@phillevy: HTC have told us theyre putting 2.0 on the hero. I dont see how the fact that theyre developing other phones should affect this. IMO, youre panicking over nothing.

If anything, the fact that the legend is coming out is a Good Thing for hero support. It's basically the same phone as the hero (with a few hardware tweaks), and so it's pretty likely that there's an awful lot of commonality between the firmwares.

i.e. if the legend gets updated to 3.0 at some later date, its going to be minimal extra work to port that update to the hero. The bulk of the hard work (i.e. integrating senseUI) has already been done.

If the legend wasnt being released and HTC were concentrating solely on the Bravo (a very different phone internally to the hero) i'd be more worried about a drop off in support post 2.0 (but i still wouldnt be worried about getting 2.0 itself because theyve TOLD US we're getting it).

Upvote 0
It seems extremely likely that the Hero will be getting the 2.1 update. The only thing disconcerting about the news of this new device is that they are claiming it will be the first Android 2.1 device. That bothers me because I can't imagine this phone is quite ready for prime time, and if it's to be the first 2.1 phone, that means our Heros will need to wait until after its release.

If this does turn out to be the case, I will very likely be flashing my Hero to one of the unofficial 2.1 ROMs, assuming MoDaCo doesnt have a 2.1 flavored version out.

This also a worry for me, I have heard several times that the new wave of devices will be the first 2.1 devices, so will we have to wait until next April to get the update? I know the phone is still as great as the day I bought it, it's just hard when I know I am missing out on goggles and navigation :p

Upvote 0
Hasn't the Droid now been updated to 2.1? So technically that's the first. I think when HTC say that the Legend will be the first with 2.1 I think they mean that it will be the first to ship with it as standard... probably...

Then, assuming that that argument is correct you can surmise that we might actually get 2.1 before the Legend is released. Well, we can hope anyway.

Upvote 0
A lot of you guys are in UK/EU and have probably had the Hero for awhile. For North America (Canada especially) it's a brand new phone... only a month old. So I'm 100% positive there will be updates.

Now after the 2.0/2.1 it's anybody's guess what will happen. Maybe if Android becomes more resource intensive it might require more memory/cpu to run. Or some apps just won't work for us. But i'm hoping that's at least a year down the road.

Upvote 0
This is the message that I received from HTC tonight.
Regarding 2.0

No word so far Andy. I imagine we are looking at early next year now :(

I can't see them doing an upgrade until they release their next batch.
I would just add that I think this has been a PR disaster for HTC and in the long run will have lost them a lot of repeat business.

Upvote 0
I imagine HTC will continue to support out amazing handset, untill it is seen to be no longer financially viable, which will be when Phone companies stop getting demand for them, and as our American friend mentioned its a new handset there in a massive market, so hopefully we can rely on our all consuming cousins across the pond to keep the updates flowing. Because lets face it HTC's European market share is not going to support it!

Upvote 0
I imagine HTC will continue to support out amazing handset, untill it is seen to be no longer financially viable, which will be when Phone companies stop getting demand for them, and as our American friend mentioned its a new handset there in a massive market, so hopefully we can rely on our all consuming cousins across the pond to keep the updates flowing. Because lets face it HTC's European market share is not going to support it!

To be honest the slow uptake in Europe is probably why they might have rested on their laurels a little bit. The only reason Android is big in the US is because of the Droid, which already has 2.0.1, and I think they are probably just waiting for more devices to be in the field (i.e the HTC Legend) to make it viable to pour time and money into getting the Sense UI to work with 2.0 / 2.1 (and updating the features, such as the rumored Footprints and People upgrades), they don't want to make an old handset the big showstopper, they want to come out with something new with the upgraded software, and do a big marketing push, an the quietly give all the Hero users the same benifits.

If you think about it, at the moment the legend is looking like quite a good upgrade for the UK Hero users, the Hero has been out 12 months or so, and the legend will have the updated version of Android with the new sense UI, along with a better screen and slightly faster CPU. If Our hero gets the software upgrade first, there is little to no reason to upgrade, except wanting the latest new toy, but if they hold off on the update, a large portion of us will probably go "Oh well time for an upgrade. I like my Hero, what's the next best thing?".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones