• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this useful information for rebooting issue?

gripweed

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2010
So I got my incredible about 40 days ago. I live in Cleveland, OH. We have spotty reception at our house, and it has always affected our phones, so a year ago we bought a network extender. Now it's my understanding that the incredible, for some reason, only acknowledges the network extender when in a call, not on stand by, so my stand by signal is still going to be low.

My dad got an incredible about 2 weeks after I got mine. He lives back in PA in a smaller town. The town has good reception though and we've never had issues with signal strength there.

So I stopped drove home to visit him today and I looked at his phone information to see this....

51ord0.jpg

219 hours or roughly 9 days. I can't break 24 hours out here. Since I left my house today and drove the 3 hours home, hung out at home all day, then the 3 hours back, it hasn't rebooted at all. Probably will tonight sometime.

We then went into the Network part to look at the signal strength and his phone was saying -80dBm and mine was at -60dBm and the phones were under a foot away from each other.

He's going to drive out tomorrow where he knows there is no signal and sit there for a while and see if the phone reboots. If it does....it has to be a signal strength problem, no? His phone, that never reboots, suddenly reboots with no signal, I think that'll confirm that. I don't know if it's been confirmed such a way before, but I thought I'd show you how his phone has been running for 9 days and how he had such a better signal than mine (even though mine showed full bars and his showed 2, but I know that was an issue discussed before too).

Does anyone else's up time not get affected by the "random" rebooting? I've seen my phone reboot right in front of me, but when I check the up time, it's listed as if it never rebooted. In fact my phone rebooted an hour ago and my up time is currently 21 hours. The only way I know of a reboot is the location warning comes up again.

Upvote 0
I agree that the random reboots have something to do with the cell towers not connecting properly to the phone. At my house I have not experienced any issues but there is the intersection close to my house where I go often to different restaurants. Each time I am at one of those restaurants my phone will continue to reboot. Once I leave that intersection my phone does not reboot at all. It only happens there. My GF's bb storm will work just fine there with no issues.

Upvote 0
My phone reboots constantly (every 15 mins or so). I don't think it is just a signal issue as it does it in all different kinds of locations. It doesn't do it when I am using it or touching it. It only does it when it is just sitting on the desk or on the car seat. I am sending it back and getting another one sent to me on Tuesday. This will be the third phone.

Upvote 0
If you go into: menu/settings/about phone/battery/batteryuse----open battery use and check to see how long your phone has operated without a signal. May be very handy for those wondering if the rebooting is being caused by lack of a signal. This will show you in % how long the phone has operated without a signal. It will also show you the awake time.

Upvote 0
If you go into: menu/settings/about phone/battery/batteryuse----open battery use and check to see how long your phone has operated without a signal. May be very handy for those wondering if the rebooting is being caused by lack of a signal. This will show you in % how long the phone has operated without a signal. It will also show you the awake time.

I don't understand?

I got Cell Standby at 33% and Phone Idle at 32%.

Then Android System at 3% and Screebl at 32%.

That's all it shows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones