Is this worth going to Verizon for a replacement?General

Last Updated:

1. hdevine

hdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did a factory reset last week after reading some of the posts about it here. I had some lag issues, and the Verizon tech also suggested that. I also did the *228 tip to reprogram the phone as was suggested. It was OK for a few days, but I'm having similar problems again. Before I go to Verizon, I thought I'd list them here and see what you good folks thought.

1) I still get terrible lag from time to time, and at all different times. I know that when I'm trying to do something with the battery low (under 25% lets say), its slow, but I chalk that off as understandable.

2) Sometimes when I send a text message out, I see that it takes at least 5 minutes to get sent. During this time, I do notice that time in the notification bar is anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes behind. Then, after a few minutes, catches back up to be in sync with the time shown on the HTC Sense widget on my home screen. BTW, that frozen time has occurred when the phone is just sitting there, not necessarily during a text message being sent, so SOMETHING is bogging it down.

3) Sometimes, and this has been increasing over the last few days, when I try to type something, either in a text message or in someone's contact info, I get the text box up and the virtual keyboard, but no text shows up at all when I'm typing. I see the characters that pop up, but nothing ends up in the text box. I have to exit out of that app and try again later. Very frustrating when you're trying to text someone and you have to wait 5-10 minutes to do it.

4) I know about the battery issues and how poor the battery life is. I've tried to remedy that by only checking my email, Twitter, and Facebook once per hour, but my battery still drains pretty fast. Today, for example, I took the phone off of the charger @ 7:30am. It was at 28% left @ noon! Granted, some of the issues that I describe above were going on and probably had a lot to do with that (clock lagging behind, texts taking 5 minutes to go out), but still, almost 75% of the battery gone after only 4 hours SUCKS!

I've done the usual remedies (power the phone down then back on; battery pull; factory reset last week, etc.). It seems to help for a very short period of time but reverts back to the problems I describe above.

So, is a trip to Verizon in my future? If they replace it, is a refurb acceptable to get? I've read varying stories ranging from "my refurb works like a charm" to "my refurb has the same issues as my old phone". I don't want to inherit the same problem, or someone else's problem. Am I basically stuck here until my "new every 2" is up in November 2011?

Thanks for any tips!
    Harry

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

What apps do you have installed?

3. SlickRick

SlickRick Well-Known Member

I say try a refurb. I got my first refurb last week and sfsg. I had the silent call bug on my old phone, bad.
    Yours has bad lag issues, mine never was that bad.
    I'd try a refurb otherwise pay the $ and get the droidX, imho.
    SlickRick

4. hdevine

@Frisco: I have Handcent SMS, K9 Mail, Dolphin Browser HD, Astro File Manager, GolfCard (for my golf scores), Camera 360, Facebook, Dialer One, iMusic, KeyRing, Locale, Sirius XM, NFL Mobile, Pure Calendar Widget, Ringdroid, QuickApp Clean Cache, Quickoffice, Shazam, SMS Backup, Spare Parts, SportsTap, TagReader, The Weather Channel, Tikl, and Twitter. I didn't list the preloaded ones, and most of these don't run all the time. But you asked so I listed them.

@ SlickRick: I'm leaning towards that (the refurb), but wanted to get a consensus from those who have done it. I'd really like the Incredible, but can't see spending the $$$ for it. But I will if all else fails.

Thanks for the tips!
    Harry

5. Frisco

That's quite a load, amigo.

Thinking back, can you recall at what point during app installations you began experiencing problems?

More importantly, are you willing to uninstall all that stuff for a few days to see how your device runs, and then reinstall one or two for a few days, etc, in an effort to make the problems happen related to one or more of the apps?

6. hdevine

I can try it, but when I reinstalled them, I did it from the Astro backup that I made. I just did a restore and let them all go back on. So they were all reinstalled right after the factory reset, and all was OK for a few days.

But I can remove some of those that I don't use all the time and see what happens. I'll just make a list before I do it so I can put them back on later.

Thanks,
    Harry

7. Frisco

In Market, "my downloads" keeps a list of all apps I've downloaded; there are markers for each, saying "purchased," "installed," etc.

Whenever I flash a new ROM, the first thing I do is go to Market and get the stuff I rely on back into my phone, no worries about forgetting any of them.

The method you're using, of using an app to keep track of apps is popular, though.

8. hdevine

Yeah, I realized that after I posted my response. But its good to have a backup plan, right? ;-) So, on your topic, if I remove a purchased app, then want to reinstall it later, I can do that correct? I won't have to re-purchase it, will I?

Also, while I'm sitting here removing apps, I mistakenly uninstalled Mobile Defense. Before I put it back on, do you think that could be a suspect? I know that it uses GPS, but could it be running in the background and causing some of the lag?

Harry

9. Frisco

Anything GPS dependent is going to cause lag. The Eris is just not a CPU load-friendly device, although overclocking can help a bit; so, yes, I'd suspect that app.

Other apps in your list seem like good candidates for dragging down the system, as well; that is why I suggested taking the trouble to get rid of them all and waiting for a few days, then one by one reinstalling them and monitoring for at least a full day before reinstalling the next app.

Purchased items from Market have always remained with the "purchased" marker on them in the "my downloads" list, for me. I've never had to pay twice. I have seen it posted, though, that somebody or other did have to re-buy their app (I cannot recall what it was) once. I don't know why that would happen, unless they were accessing Market from a different device than the one they made the purchase with, or following a factory data reset.

10. hdevine

Thanks for the tips. I ended up removing most of the apps on my list, leaving only the major ones that I use (K9 Mail, Handcent, Facebook, etc.). I also removed the HTC Sense clock/weather widget as was suggested here: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/116619-noticed-something-about-lag-issues.html. Its only been approximately 12 hours, but it seems better now. But I'll wait a few days before passing any judgments. I'm not sure if its that widget or the fact that I have virtually NO apps on it now, but I'll slowly add apps back that I think I'll need and monitor it.

Harry

11. Frisco

Good, hang in there with that strategy as long as you can.

Also, you'll likely see posts coming along from people who see this thread and are reminded of something they did, or an app they had to get rid of or modify settings on, which helped a lot with lag and/or battery life.