Is VOIP better on the Nexus now with FROYO ??

Last Updated:

1. pdmt99

pdmt99 New Member This Topic's Starter

So a alot of folks went back and forth over the board of the quality of VOIP calls with the original N1. We were all waiting for the Gizmo5 data only options that never fully materialized. Then it seemed that VOIP quality wasn't really that good.

Has FROYO changed that equation? Are folks using VOIP options hearing any change in sound quality now with FROYO's arrival? We want to hear?

Advertisement
  2. loganss

loganss Active Member

Can you elaborate on why you think the Nexus One is not a good VoIP phone?
    I've made several VoIP calls on the N1 and it sounded great. Quality varied with each VoIP app I used.

3. pdmt99

pdmt99 New Member This Topic's Starter

There seemed to be alot on the boards a while back that VOIP on the Nexus wasn't up to snuff compared to the G1 and other handsets. Sounds like you've had a different experience.

4. loganss

loganss Active Member

Yeah I read some of those articles and was a bit shocked that they claimed the N1 wasn't a good VoIP phone. The odd thing was that those articles came out around the time of the N1's release and given that VoIP is highly software dependent the software wasn't up to par. VoIP app developers have since improved their software to allow the N1 to be a good VoIP phone.

I've created a blog archiving my findings and have made several 20+min phone conversations using VoIP. I have some minor gripes but call quality is not one of them right now, at least over WiFi. 3G VoIP calling is highly dependent on your carrier, location, speed, etc so at times it can be choppy.