• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is wifi tether for root dead in 2.2 yes or no?

THANKS!! Saving me some time. Is there a kernel that will work with the Version 7 wifi tether.

Not sure...I'm not even sure of the difference between Version 6 & 7...I'm still using version 2 and see no need to upgrade cause it working just fine......

The different versions may just be for compatibility reasons i doubt they add anything new...

Upvote 0
Not sure...I'm not even sure of the difference between Version 6 & 7...I'm still using version 2 and see no need to upgrade cause it working just fine......

The different versions may just be for compatibility reasons i doubt they add anything new...

same. I'm on version 3. BTW, I just wiped for the heck of it and reflashed the rooted OTA 2.2 ROM and the netarchy custom kernel. Then I restored my apps. My wifi tether stopped working.

I cleared the app data, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it. it works again. Worth trying if anyone is still having issues.

Upvote 0
You will lose root and have to wait until they come up with a way to root 2.2.
I dont delve that deeply into root. I currently have 2.1 and use unrevoked3 for tether. All I would like to know is, if I do the OTA update to 2.2 in my current state will the root stick or will unrevoked3 need to be updated and reapplied?

Reactions: CaptEvo
Upvote 0
Hey guys im a complete noob when itcomes to rooting etc ive got an evo and im interested in wifi tether and to overclock and under clock. too be quite honest, all this talk and terminology on kernals,flash,roms, ive no clue what it is... is there a step by step instruction available starting with backing my system up in case something goes wrong and i can bring my phone back to stock or the way it was?

Upvote 0
See my signature at the bottom. It is one of the easiest methods out there if you are still using 2.1
Hey guys im a complete noob when itcomes to rooting etc ive got an evo and im interested in wifi tether and to overclock and under clock. too be quite honest, all this talk and terminology on kernals,flash,roms, ive no clue what it is... is there a step by step instruction available starting with backing my system up in case something goes wrong and i can bring my phone back to stock or the way it was?

Upvote 0
See my signature at the bottom. It is one of the easiest methods out there if you are still using 2.1

Easiest possible way for Full root:
Step#1 SimpleRoot OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition
Step#2 Unlock NAND: How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers
Step#3 Load a ROM: [ROM] 8/3/10 | Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1 | FroYo | OFFICIAL 3.26.651.6 OTA + fresh goodies - xda-developers

You don't need "step 2" if you do step 1. Simpleroot unlocks NAND. Technically, you're already fully rooted after step 1, so you don't need any other steps :) Your step 2 is for people who are running custom ROMs and want to return to rooted stock everything: radio, wimax, OS, kernel, etc. and for redundancy, it also includes the engineering bootloader (which you need in order to run it, so kinda pointless) and a custom recovery image (Amon RA). Step 3 is entirely optional. Alternatively, instead of flashing a full custom ROM, you can just flash a custom kernel, which gets you all the goodies like wifi tethering, 50+ FPS, 5-pt touch, touch/slide sensitivity, CPU throttling, etc.

Reactions: autorail1
Upvote 0
I only listed it because when I had done the simple root before where it had 4 steps, I had to go to Step #2 to unlock NAND.
You don't need "step 2" if you do step 1. Simpleroot unlocks NAND. Technically, you're already fully rooted after step 1, so you don't need any other steps :) Your step 2 is for people who are running custom ROMs and want to return to rooted stock everything: radio, wimax, OS, kernel, etc. and for redundancy, it also includes the engineering bootloader (which you need in order to run it, so kinda pointless) and a custom recovery image (Amon RA). Step 3 is entirely optional. Alternatively, instead of flashing a full custom ROM, you can just flash a custom kernel, which gets you all the goodies like wifi tethering, 50+ FPS, 5-pt touch, touch/slide sensitivity, CPU throttling, etc.

Upvote 0
Are you positive with simple root 1 click it also unlocks NAND?? now It did not before.

Upvote 0
Are you positive with simple root 1 click it also unlocks NAND?? now It did not before.

The way I understand it is that you can't install the engineering bootloader if the exploit doesn't unlock NAND. Since Simpleroot puts the engineering bootloader on your phone (now and before), it successfully unlocked NAND.

I too was led to the "step 2" when I initially rooted, but I distinctly remember checking my bootloader version at that time and saw that I already had the engineering bootloader after Simplerooting.

Take a look at post 16 (note the date of the post as well) in the Simpleroot thread. The OP states that NAND is unlocked. I didn't dig further into the thread to see if he misspoke.

Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/all-things...ooting-get-your-bearings-before-plunging.html

Upvote 0
Do I have to download and run this from my SD card? Not sure how to install apps from a weblink. :thinking:

I have a /download directory in my SD card for all third party apks. The easiest way to install them is to download an app called "Explorer." And if you're feeling generous, get the paid version, which is called "Root Explorer." It will allow you to navigate to your SD card where the .apk file is. Then, just click on it, and it will install. The paid version allows you to mount all areas read/write.

Great app to have when you need to access your phone's filesystem and don't want to plug it in and run adb or whatever.

Upvote 0
I have a /download directory in my SD card for all third party apks. The easiest way to install them is to download an app called "Explorer." And if you're feeling generous, get the paid version, which is called "Root Explorer." It will allow you to navigate to your SD card where the .apk file is. Then, just click on it, and it will install. The paid version allows you to mount all areas read/write.

Great app to have when you need to access your phone's filesystem and don't want to plug it in and run adb or whatever.

Sweet I'll try this.

I got the wireless tether from Appbrain, it worked by my download was VERY slow. I could connect but no data could be sent.

Thanks again.

Wow, looks like the one I installed earlier. Still only getting 0.4kB Down and 0.1kB up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones