• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is wimax even worth turning on?

From what I've heard the 4g radio in the evo is just ok... when compared to the sprint overdrive mobile hotspot device it's sensitivity and throughput performance was noticeably worse. I'd say that's to be expected for a 1st gen 4g radio crammed into a phone. We'll see if Samsung can do any better with the epic.

Also, wimax is being deployed in the 2.5ghz spectrum... higher frequencies just don't penetrate structures as well as lower frequencies.

We'll see how things progress... sprint and clear have their work cut out for them to make the network and the devices perform.

3G speeds are plenty fast for the stuff I need to do (I don't stream video though... so I'm probably the exception), I'm actually looking forward to 4G simply so I can use data while I'm on a phone call. The speed isn't really a big draw for me.

Upvote 0
My real problem was building penetration...i was upset when my signal dropped from 3 4g bars to a fair our poor signal when I walked into walmart. The worst was I could see the tower. I hope this doesn't kill sprint 4g plans...thanks for your input
When you walked into WalMart? Are you kidding me? If I am anywhere past the registers in WalMart I don't get any kind of signal. Same thing in all WalMarts I have been to.

Upvote 0
I leave my radio on all the time, but I am never away from a place to charge either.
I just wish 4G penetration was better. Our City is blanketed by 4G coverage and the speed is awsome, and I pick up 4G just about everywhere I go....... until I walk inside a building. Then the signal just disappears.

Upvote 0
I never turn it on. The 2.4ghz frequency 4G WiMax dies when you enter a building (unless there is a tower 10 feet away).

There's a legit reason Sprint and T-Mobile are looking to hook up with LTE.

Oh well, it was neat when I bought it. Wonder how those Clear customers get 4G indoors. Fancy signal blocking on the EVO perhaps?

Upvote 0
My house is literally 1 small 'square' out of the coverage area....how crappy is that lol. It's not lying either, I can get coverage standing outside of my neighbor's house just 2 doors up but not when standing in my driveway (much less my house). They are just teasing me I think :(

f1b30a834c3628ba783b51f5d3baf15d.png

Upvote 0
I never turn it on. The 2.4ghz frequency 4G WiMax dies when you enter a building (unless there is a tower 10 feet away).

There's a legit reason Sprint and T-Mobile are looking to hook up with LTE.

Oh well, it was neat when I bought it. Wonder how those Clear customers get 4G indoors. Fancy signal blocking on the EVO perhaps?

Switching to LTE won't significantly improve reception for clearwire. It's not a problem of the transport protocol, it's a problem of the frequency used and the fact that this is a first gen 4G radio. The radios will get better (and in fact are already better in some devices).

Verizon and AT&T were able to spend billions to acquire spectrum in the 700mhz frequency range (freed by the Analog to digital TV switch). There's a good chance that when full 4g rollout is complete they will have the networks with the best coverage due to the fact that they will have the best frequency spectrum. It's not due to the LTE vs wimax protocols though.

Sprint has a first mover advantage in 4G but they do have their work cut out for them, they had to make do with the spectrum they have available. I really like sprint but they have a tough road ahead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones