• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is xscope worth the purchase?

jguns112

Dec 30, 2010
I've been using the xscope trial as my default browser for awhile now and I have just been wondering if there is any advantage to buying the full version besides just to support the developer. Are there any features that I'm missing out on with just having the trial.. or is buying the full thing just more of a donation?

I used the free version of XScope for a while too. Still had a few small annoying bugs, but I liked the features it had. I never bothered with the paid version though.

I have now moved to Dolphin Mini and I find it to be more stable. I don't miss any of the XScope features at all.

Upvote 0
Except the speed! Dolphin is a slug compared to other browsers.

Try loading a page in Dolphin and then the same page in another browser (even stock) and see the difference. It is noticeably slower.

Nothing is fast for me, being that I use mostly US websites from outside the US :)

What Dolphin are you using? I think Mini is significantly faster than the HD.

Yes, X-Scope was fast.

In the end, the thing that got me to switch was that I always had problems using pinch zoom on X-Scope. Anytime I did that, if I happened to touch on a link it would actually open the link instead of zooming, and that got to be very annoying.

Upvote 0
When XScope was initially rewritten it was a speed demon. Lately it seems a bit pokey to me. Even loading the bookmarks can take an insufferable amount of time. If I only want to read text and light graphics (ie. no Flash or heavy graphics), I found Opera Mini to be the snappiest of the browsers. That's funny to me because I've always disliked Opera and only tried it again for a goof. That goof found gold!

If XScope does what you're looking for, then I'd say buy it to support the developer. Nothing wrong with paying for something you use all the time.

Upvote 0
What Dolphin are you using? I think Mini is significantly faster than the HD.

I've used HD, I never tried the mini. However I've been exclusively on XScope for about 4 or 5 months now.

I'm never scared to try new apps. I loved LLP for a long time, but it eventually got too buggy and I've moved to another launcher.

I'd be happy to try out some more browsers if people feel like something is better than Xscope. But I just about tried them all 6 months ago and decide Xscope was best for my situation.

Upvote 0
I just don't think we should have to pay for a webbrowser. Every web browser I've ever used has been free.

You have a poor grasp of economics.

Please read this post and the two following it:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...itouch-pinch-zoom-browser-26.html#post1672487

These developers work hard and deserve to be compensated. Don't under-value something just because some large developers can make money without charging for the product directly. Opera makes money on this because they have a whole PC/Mac market as well as the mobile market to leverage, and they're a large, established organization. Firefox makes money on this because they are already making money through other channels, because they're a big company.

One developer putting together a web browser in his spare time is not in the same position. If the app is valuable to you, pay for it. If it's not valuable to you, skip it. But just because "it's a web browser" doesn't mean it should be free.

Also, this particular web browser has a killer feature - the text selection. It's the only web browser on the market that has movable handles to resize text selection and make it easy to copy/paste like iOS does on the iPhone.

I like xScope a lot. Absolutely worth paying for.

Upvote 0
BV - it isn't worth arguing over. Some people just are unwilling to pay for apps. Fortunately that is there choice (as long as they are not stealing it).

For the rest of us, we see the value of the product. How many times a day do you use the browser on your phone? It's probably a lot. Most of us feel that spending $3 to improve that browsing experience is well worth it.

Upvote 0
You have a poor grasp of economics.

Please read this post and the two following it:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...itouch-pinch-zoom-browser-26.html#post1672487

These developers work hard and deserve to be compensated. Don't under-value something just because some large developers can make money without charging for the product directly. Opera makes money on this because they have a whole PC/Mac market as well as the mobile market to leverage, and they're a large, established organization. Firefox makes money on this because they are already making money through other channels, because they're a big company.

One developer putting together a web browser in his spare time is not in the same position. If the app is valuable to you, pay for it. If it's not valuable to you, skip it. But just because "it's a web browser" doesn't mean it should be free.

Also, this particular web browser has a killer feature - the text selection. It's the only web browser on the market that has movable handles to resize text selection and make it easy to copy/paste like iOS does on the iPhone.

I like xScope a lot. Absolutely worth paying for.

I'm a bit biased but, well said.

Upvote 0
Obviously we just have contrasting views about how to spend our money, truth is I'll probably eventually cave in and buy it anyway.

Anyway, everytime I do a google search when I press in the search bar it will exit full screen mode for some reason. Does anyone know why this happens or a possible fix? I know it's not really a big deal but the notification bar is very intrusive to the browsing experience.

Upvote 0
BV - it isn't worth arguing over. Some people just are unwilling to pay for apps. Fortunately that is there choice (as long as they are not stealing it).

For the rest of us, we see the value of the product. How many times a day do you use the browser on your phone? It's probably a lot. Most of us feel that spending $3 to improve that browsing experience is well worth it.
Didn't you (whoever is reading this) recently spend more than that for one fast food meal? I smell elitism ... Pay for it, the developer deserves it.

Upvote 0
I just don't think we should have to pay for a webbrowser. Every web browser I've ever used has been free.

Why did you start this thread then? It sounds like you already made up your mind that no browser is worth paying for. So, does it matter what extra features are in the paid version? You aren't going to buy it anyway because it's just a

slightly better web browser for something I don't even need in the first place.

Just to let you know, there is a "free" browser that came with your phone. It works perfectly fine. I say "free" because you are paying for it as part of the purchase of the phone, in one way or another. So, if you have ever used the default browser on your phone, you have used one that isn't really "free".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones