• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is your battery overheating or not charging right?

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Okay folks, I know this article references what Samsung is calling "isolated incidents" in South Korea:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sa...so-overheating-2016-09-23?link=MW_latest_news

But I'm in America, and something is wrong with this phone. After restoring and setting up my phone, I put it on the fast wireless charger at 37%. Fifteen minutes later, it was at 38%. Took another ten minutes to go to 39%. That's not FAST, folks. And talk about HOT! Man, this thing is hot! My old Note 7 never got this warm charging!

It's currently on wired charging to see if it charges any faster or cooler. If this continues to be a problem, I'm going to have to go to Samsung with it... and that's not going to make them happy at all.

So is anyone else in here having battery issues, or is mine just another "isolated incident"? o_O

EDIT: Okay, so I've had the phone on the wired charger for about half an hour, and it's only at 51%. Should be at least 75% by now. It's cool, but it's not charging very fast at all. I'm going to try a few more things here to further isolate the issue, but it's not looking good.

Last edited:
    Okay folks, I know this article references what Samsung is calling "isolated incidents" in South Korea:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sa...so-overheating-2016-09-23?link=MW_latest_news

But I'm in America, and something is wrong with this phone. After restoring and setting up my phone, I put it on the fast wireless charger at 37%. Fifteen minutes later, it was at 38%. Took another ten minutes to go to 39%. That's not FAST, folks. And talk about HOT! Man, this thing is hot! My old Note 7 never got this warm charging!

It's currently on wired charging to see if it charges any faster or cooler. If this continues to be a problem, I'm going to have to go to Samsung with it... and that's not going to make them happy at all.

So is anyone else in here having battery issues, or is mine just another "isolated incident"? o_O

EDIT: Okay, so I've had the phone on the wired charger for about half an hour, and it's only at 51%. Should be at least 75% by now. It's cool, but it's not charging very fast at all. I'm going to try a few more things here to further isolate the issue, but it's not looking good.
    Hmmmm. Strange. Both my recalled and new N7 didn't have overheating issue.

Upvote 0
    I put my phone on my older Tylt Vu wireless charging stand overnight. It's not a fast charge, but who needs that overnight? Anyway, I woke up to a 100% charge and a cool phone. Okay, so I'll swap out my fast wireless charger with another one (I have spares) and see if it's somehow related to that one charging stand.

Upvote 0
    Jury's still out, Koki. Since it had a 100% charge on it, I'm going to play around for awhile and let it discharge a bit before I do more troubleshooting.

EDIT: It's really crazy: my new Mansoor portfolio case is the exact same thickness as my Spigen Wallet S case... yet my phone will wirelessly fast charge in the Spigen and it won't in the other one! It will SLOW charge in either case, which makes it even more perplexing!

o_O

So I'm back to the Spigen again. It's on the fast wireless charger now at 87%. We'll see how warm it gets.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Ordered and received 2 Note 7's originally. One day after I received mine, the recall started. Ordered replacement 'green' ones as soon as we could. Took 3 weeks of using our original ones before our replacements were in and ready. We did take precautions and watched the temperatures of the phones while using them or charging them. 108 degrees is the warmest the old 'non-green' Note 7's got, and the same 108 for the new 'green' ones. I am 100% with the original ones, and with the new 'green' ones.

Upvote 0
    Ordered and received 2 Note 7's originally. One day after I received mine, the recall started. Ordered replacement 'green' ones as soon as we could. Took 3 weeks of using our original ones before our replacements were in and ready. We did take precautions and watched the temperatures of the phones while using them or charging them. 108 degrees is the warmest the old 'non-green' Note 7's got, and the same 108 for the new 'green' ones. I am 100% with the original ones, and with the new 'green' ones.
    What app did you use to show your battery temp..?

Upvote 0
    Both of mine have worked flawlessly but I do like my new one better for various minor reasons.

Maybe it's me but this battery wont die! I like to cycle my battery a couple of times when new (please don't tell me how it's ineffective) and I can't get it to zero. I had to actually leave the flashlight on to kill it. 1xsculler something feels different about my new Note 7 in a good way. Maybe it's just knowing it's mine for good? Feels smother or fluid or something.

Bottom line battery/charging working perfectly.

Upvote 0
    Any news Chief?

I woke up this morning with 8% as I forgot to charge last night, put my phone on my Samsung quick wireless charger about an hour and 10 minutes ago at 6% and right now my battery is at 59%. My lock screen says fast charging wirelessly, approx 1 hr 3 minutes untill fully charged.

The phone is just moderately warm, not hot at all. I'm just surprised it'll take over two hours to get to a full charge, when I thought it said it would take 1:45 to fully charge. (maybe I'm wrong)

I tried the Moto Droid Turbo, and Turbo II in the past, and if I remember correctly, those phones only turbo charge until the battery reaches 70%. Not sure if the Galaxy's have that same scenario or not, but I think I've noticed that it does seem to charge slower when the battery is near full.

Upvote 0
    Is it normal for the battery % to decrease from 100% to about 97% by just using it for about 2-3 minutes? Had it for 3 days now. New to a Samsung phone and wondering if this is a normal thing or do I have a defective battery? Note - this is the new "safe" note 7.

Appreciate any feedbacks.
    My battery usually drops a percent or two every 5 minutes or so

Reactions: GeekInTraining
    Upvote 0
    My battery sucked up a lot of power during the "Smart Switch" process. I was concerned that it wasn't going to make it but just as I got the low battery warning, things wrapped up.

I started charging my SGN7 this morning from 8% to 100%. It took 1+25 to charge. At the start of the charge, it was 99 degrees in temperature. After the charge, it was/is 83 degrees on both sides. I used a 1500 degree dual laser infra red gun to measure the temperature.

Last edited:
    Reactions: The_Chief
    Upvote 0

Since my ATT Note Edge on Marshmallow updated to MM - my phone gets VERY hot while charging. So hot that if I have it in the car charging, it is to warm for me to hold in my hand or on my face to talk. I either have to put it on speaker and place in my pocket or unplug and hold in front of the blasting AC to cool it down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones