• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Isn't anyone afraid...

Isn't anyone afraid that 6 moths from now we will all be back here talking about the newest end all be all phone?

I had seriously resigned myself to waiting for either a Verizon iPhone or switching to ATT when my contract was up.. Until I caught wind of the DINC.

Here is what scares me the most. I am going to get this phone and in 6 months still wish I would have waited for an iPhone and here is why..

In 2 years when my contract is up I would like to be heading to the Verizon store knowing I am going in to buy the Droid Incredible 3 Running Android 3.1 or whatever. This is the security that iPhone users have. They know that when their contract is up there is going to be a newer better version of the phone they already love and are used to available for them.

I hope there is a company out there that is willing to stick with 1 form factor, and one interface and improve upon that the way apple has done with the iPhone.

Any thoughts??

Update: 2/1/2011 So an update, I am in no way disappointed in my choice of this phone. A couple of days ago I finally decided to root & Wow.

I loved the phone before I rooted it but now it seems faster and smoother than ever.

Running CyanogenMod 6.1 & Invisiblek's #28 kernel.

iWhat?

I may not even want to upgrade!

Have you only ever owned one make and model of car? Never bought a different brand or line of computer? Is everything you own and replace an exact replica of what came before it?

To me, a great FAULT of the iPhone is the startling lack of progression. It's all the same as it was three years ago, the only changes have been little things like 3G support or some speed boosts. With Android phones, you get to check out new stuff.

Upvote 0
Isn't anyone afraid that 6 moths from now we will all be back here talking about the newest end all be all phone?

I had seriously resigned myself to waiting for either a Verizon iPhone or switching to ATT when my contract was up.. Until I caught wind of the DINC.

Here is what scares me the most. I am going to get this phone and in 6 months still wish I would have waited for an iPhone and here is why..

In 2 years when my contract is up I would like to be heading to the Verizon store knowing I am going in to buy the Droid Incredible 3 Running Android 3.1 or whatever. This is the security that iPhone users have. They know that when their contract is up there is going to be a newer better version of the phone they already love and are used to available for them.

I hope there is a company out there that is willing to stick with 1 form factor, and one interface and improve upon that the way apple has done with the iPhone.

Any thoughts??

Yea, true... but does it really matter if it was the Droid Incredible 2 / 3
It's really just a name, and there WILL be a better phone that makes the DINC look like POS... just get that one. :)

Upvote 0
No in fact i'm excited about where android is heading. If you want 1 form factor, 1 way of doing things then by all means apple products are exactly what you are looking for. If you like to venture outside the lines then you have no choice but to adopt technology thats not gaurded like guantanimo bay.

Sure in 6 months something better will be out. Will i care? Not even slightly. I like what i've got and am very happy with my decision. Now if i had stuck with my eris then yeah it would upset me to be stuck with it for 2 more years, but i sent it back and got the incredible instead. Not because of the speed, not because of the amoled screen, not because of the increased memory. But because of app storage space. Within a week i ran out of room on my eris (it has 160mb of app space) but now that i've got 748mb i'm as happy as a fly on a turd ;)

Upvote 0
If you want an iPhone go get an iPhone, While i hope the android software stays consistent I would prefer a little variety in form factor and such. So in 2 years all the iphone fanbois will still be saying should I buy the droid fantabulous or the iphone cause the iphone blah blah blah, or the iphone will go the way of the Razr when they start pimping it out to all the carriers and they all look the same and the masses will want something "different"

Reactions: chigins
Upvote 0
Having one form factor is also why the iPhone is missing a lot of the features that are available in the Incredible. If you bought an iPhone 3gs on the day it was released, or today... you're buying the exact same phone. Some people may see this as an advantage, but I see personally see it as a disadvantage. An Iphone on launch day is the same price as an iphone 6 months from launch or 11 months from launch. With Android, you have options/competition between the handset manufacturers, which is a benefit for you, as a consumer. 6 months from now, we may be talking about a better phone but my "old" phone will still be able to do everything the new one does, just not as fast. Apple users experience the same thing... just ask anyone who is still using a first generation iPhone.

Upvote 0
Interesting perspective..

I just have never had a phone that could keep my attention for 2 years. But there are iPhone owners that are just as happy with their iPhone now as day 1..

Yeah my little brother bought the 1st gen iphone. And you are right he is as happy with it today as he was day 1. And by happy i mean utterly disgusted. He could never make a call, he had to sit in his vehicle in the parking lot with blue tooth enabled to make a phone call. He doesn't have very good data connection speeds. Spends way too much on his monthly phone bill and oh he just bought an incredible. So yeah hes just as happy with his iphone today as when he got it ;)

But yeah he uses it to listen to music, watch videos and downloads the occasional app which usually costs $3-5 or more. When i told him the apps i have access to and that most of them are free, well lets just say he is now awaiting for his new phone to arrive from verizon.

Upvote 0
Look at BB. You could have easily gone a decade with very little form/function change in the OS and handset. One of the many reasons they have held on to the corporate sector for so long.

Trust me, training a sales force on how to use a "new" device is hell on the pocketbook (and on the trainers). I went thru it with a new Handheld last year and despite it running a VERY recognizable OS, it was still a mountain to climb.

The issue now, is the market is so fragmented and all the players are trying to carve out their niche. But even so, the function of the touchscreen phones has become fairly static. I don't think anyone switching from one to another faces a terrible learning curve.

I made it 18 mos between phones and didn't feel that I was utterly behind the curve. That isn't bad at all. Soon, we will hit the 2 year cycle (which is generally the aim for most electronics).

Upvote 0
If you spend all your time waiting for the next best thing, then you'll never have anything. This applies to most purchases (cars, appliances, etc), it's just that consumer electronics evolve at a much faster rate.

I just have never had a phone that could keep my attention for 2 years. But there are iPhone owners that are just as happy with their iPhone now as day 1..

Even if this device falls by the wayside after 6mo-1yr~ and receives no updates from HTC, there will be custom ROMs once root is acquired.

More and more Android apps are coming out each day as well, and the combined sales of Android handsets indicate that they are flying off the shelves, so demand for said apps is not going to wane anytime soon.

Hardware is only as good as the software that runs on it, and software is only as good as the developers and community that support it.

Upvote 0

Any thoughts??

FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt! Not having to worry all the time that your chosen device is being obsoleted so quickly.

That said, I agree with you! I would love to see a hardware platform mature, develop and progress like the Iphone has. It would assure its users first that glitches and bugs are constantly being addressed and that the hardware itself was being incrementally improved upon.

Unfortunately, the other component of this equation is that Apple makes both the Hardware and OS for the Iphone so they have all of their developmental eggs in one basket...Plus they only have one US Carrier. In my opinion, it probably makes it harder to do when you factor in hardware for different budgets, different carriers and OS's.

Upvote 0
There's always something new and better on the horizon. You can wait for the next big thing until the world ends, or buy something now and enjoy it. Sure there's always something new and shiny that will probably be better than what you have, but if you wait and wait you'll never get a phone!

The Incredible is what stopped me from waiting around for a VZW iPhone too. I was all stoked for WWDC, thinking that perhaps we'd FINALLY get some VZW news...and then I heard about the Incredible and promptly forgot about it.

Plus the iPhone is just...really boring now. It's been the same thing pretty much for about 3 years now, bar minor changes of course. I realized that the iPhone wouldn't really be "new" for me anyway—I have an iPod Touch I'd been using regularly. I also found that the apps I used most on my iPod Touch were all available on the Android platform. The only thing I couldn't find? Sonic 1 and 2. This was of course remedied with the Genesis emulator app :)

Another thing that turned me off from the iPhone (and the Blackberry too) is that EVERYONE HAS ONE. I really HATE having something that everyone else has (I really don't have a justification for this, I'm not sure why I feel this way). I had a RAZR and an LG EnV before both became ridiculously popular and it annoyed me that everyone suddenly had the same damn phone I did. I realized that I didn't want an iPhone when—especially after VZW gets it—everyone is going to have it!

Upvote 0
I've said it before in other threads.. but this is exactly where the iPhone market thrives. They give you this false sense of security/comfort in knowing that you're a part of something, your phone won't become "obsolete" and you don't have to worry about some crazy fragmentation that'll kill your beloved OS/Phone.

Apple helps consumers who like their decisions made for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all Apple users are drones - I myself use Apple computers both at work and home - but they help the group of people who keep getting hysterical over their stuff becoming "yesterday's model"

This is how I look at my phone purchase. I choose carrier first.. to me, Verizon is the best. A phone on any other network is not preferable to me at all, its almost not even an option. After that, I pay for hardware... for the price I pay.. the DInc is well, incredible hardwarewise. Right now.. I know my $100 paid is for premium hardware with one of the best cameras out there. I would not pay the same amount for any current phones with inferior hardware, no matter what "experience" they promise me with their apps, os, etc.

I couldn't be happier with my phone now and it'd take a really amazing phone ON the Verizon network for me to sell off my Incredible for another phone. I'll worry about it when it gets to that point.

Upvote 0
To everyone that is concerned about new shiny devices that are "coming soon", there will ALWAYS be a new device on the horizon that's better than what you have.

That's actually a GOOD thing. One of the beautiful things about Android vs. Apple is that because Android is just an OS, it drives competition between manufacturers making Android phones. Because of this, Android technology will advance much faster than that of the iPhone.

It's the same exact thing that happened back in the early days of the Apple vs. IBM. As soon as PC's went from IBM to "IBM Compatible", and everyone was making PCs or parts for PCs, the technology exploded and left the Mac in the dust.

If Steve Jerbs wasn't such a good salesman, and Apple wasn't so good at making products that look pretty, they'd be up poop creek by now.

Upvote 0
I'm not worried about. As others have said, with technology, there is ALWAYS something better around the corner. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do these new and better phones offer something that you just can't do without? 9/10 the answer is NO.

The Incredible is perfect for my needs and workflow. I don't need a bigger screen, I don't need a faster processor, I don't need more internal memory, I don't need a 12 MP camera, I don't need to record high def video, etc.

Would I like those things? Of course. But not having them is not going to adversely affect my experience with the Incredible I already have.

Upvote 0
Yeah my little brother bought the 1st gen iphone. And you are right he is as happy with it today as he was day 1. And by happy i mean utterly disgusted. He could never make a call, he had to sit in his vehicle in the parking lot with blue tooth enabled to make a phone call. He doesn't have very good data connection speeds. Spends way too much on his monthly phone bill and oh he just bought an incredible. So yeah hes just as happy with his iphone today as when he got it ;)

This is one of the reasons I never wanted to switch carriers. In all the years I've had Verizon, the coverage has been GREAT. We used to have Cingular before switching to Verizon and I remember all the issues we had with them. Carrier trumps the awesomeness of the phone as far as I'm concerned and while I could have jumped ship long ago to get an iPhone, I didn't want to go onto AT&T's network.

I went to a party last night and sat next to a girl that had an iPhone. We exchanged numbers and she looked at my phone and said "You have service AND internet here?" Honestly I hadn't even thought about it, but her (and other people with AT&T phones at the party) couldn't get on the internet or make calls.

The iPhone is a great phone

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone here. The iphone is a great phone if it works for you. If you are looking for variety, a change of the norm as it were, then look at the different offerings. Android is very flexible and allows you to really make the hardware your own. I spent years on winmo (4 phones in a row in 6 years), and for what each phone was, they all worked for me. I really went outside of the box in picking the Incredible. It is the first phone I have purchased unseen (hadn't used one before getting mine). And my experience with it has been everything and then some with it. I especially like being able to change damn near every aspect of the phone with apps and widgets. Something I never really had in any of the winmo phones I had before it..

Upvote 0

Usually electronic gadgets wear off on my in about two weeks, but I keep my phones for a while typically anyway because i just find something else to entertain me ;)
And alot of those users are completely oblivious to the other options out there, believing the Harley like marketing that it is the best, and that Apple is somehow doing them a favor by not updating anything drastically and keeping prices high. Not trying to dog them, if your purchase makes you happy and does what you need who am I to argue, but at least in my circle of friends/acquaintances there are the ones that bought an iphone and defend it to the bitter end (going on the offensive usually because I don't go around flaunting my phone), some that say ATT works great for them and their family and such are on ATT and they don't want a BB so its carrier based more or less, and others that are completely bored with the thing and drool over my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones