• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iso guide to reclaiming space?

So I have basically run out of space on my s4. I went thru the app manager and hit the move to SD card on all apps. Very little space there is used. I suspect pictures and video are taking too much space. Right now I use the gallery app to view organize and upload imaged. Is there an app to replace gallery that would move them all to the SD card and still work easily with them?

So I have basically run out of space on my s4. I went thru the app manager and hit the move to SD card on all apps. Very little space there is used. I suspect pictures and video are taking too much space. Right now I use the gallery app to view organize and upload imaged. Is there an app to replace gallery that would move them all to the SD card and still work easily with them?

Use the file manager app on your phone. Basically it lets you view the phones files similar to searching through the hard drive of a computer. In there it will allow you to move selected photos or files to the SD card.

Upvote 0
In your settings, storage, check to see what is using up the storage. If it is indeed your photos/videos, go into your camera app's settings and there should be an option to make the camera store pictures/videos to the SD card by default.

Take a couple of pictures and see where the photos/videos are being stored on the SD card. Then, using a file manager, move existing photos/videos from your phone's internal storage to the SD card.

You shouldn't have stop using the Galery app - that same app should show you pictures from your SD card as well.

(sorry, i don't have my S4 anymore, so can't provide screen prints of where to click - but it should be fairly easy to do)

One other thing that I would highly recommend, if you aren't already doing so: Please make sure you are backing up your photos/videos automatically. Just in case the SD card goes bad, or your phone crashes. Google+ has an option to back up your photos automatically, and so do other apps like onedrive or copy or dropbox

Reactions: lvirden
Upvote 0
In your settings, storage, check to see what is using up the storage. If it is indeed your photos/videos, go into your camera app's settings and there should be an option to make the camera store pictures/videos to the SD card by default.

Well, the pictures and videos were just a tiny part of the use of memory.
I did change the camera store location so that it goes to the SD card.
I haven't figured out yet how to move the ones still on the camera's memory.

One other thing that I would highly recommend, if you aren't already doing so: Please make sure you are backing up your photos/videos automatically. Just in case the SD card goes bad, or your phone crashes. Google+ has an option to back up your photos automatically, and so do other apps like onedrive or copy or dropbox

I did set this up - thank you!

Upvote 0
So, since the pictures and videos turned out not to be the problem, and even though I have indicated in the application manager that I wanted all apps that were eligible to move to the SD card to move. I still find myself with more than 90% of the phone's 16 GB full.

I deleted the Kindle reader - I only had one book on the phone - and that freed up a few MB.

I guess I can go through and delete even more of the apps that I don't use that much. I have about 125 apps (which includes all the stuff that came out of the box and that I don't use right now).

When I look in the application manager > storage > space used, it says 9.21 GB is used.
8.7 GB of that is used by Applications.The 6 largest together use less than 1 GB. Of those, 2 are games and the rest are bits "of the system" (facebook, chrome, yahoo mail ,and google play store).

The other 7 GB is spread across all the apps, services, etc. that come on the phone (well, except for a dozen or two apps each less than 100 MB that I've downloaded).

Upvote 0
So, since the pictures and videos turned out not to be the problem, and even though I have indicated in the application manager that I wanted all apps that were eligible to move to the SD card to move. I still find myself with more than 90% of the phone's 16 GB full.

I deleted the Kindle reader - I only had one book on the phone - and that freed up a few MB.

I guess I can go through and delete even more of the apps that I don't use that much. I have about 125 apps (which includes all the stuff that came out of the box and that I don't use right now).

When I look in the application manager > storage > space used, it says 9.21 GB is used.
8.7 GB of that is used by Applications.The 6 largest together use less than 1 GB. Of those, 2 are games and the rest are bits "of the system" (facebook, chrome, yahoo mail ,and google play store).

The other 7 GB is spread across all the apps, services, etc. that come on the phone (well, except for a dozen or two apps each less than 100 MB that I've downloaded).

Unfortunately, that is the way things are on devices with manufacturer/carrier "software" *cough* bloat *cough* :(

Why is 90% of the 16GB used up though? You explained the reason fr about 9.21GB. What about the remaining 6.8GB or so?

Upvote 0
so I used the link above about locating pictures and moving them to free up a small amount of space - enough for diskusage.
When I run it, I see 2 storage areas - storage card and external storage card.
I select storage card. It shows it with 9948 MB. Of that an area called "Media" has 4377 MB, Apps has 3341 MB, System has 517 MB and Free space is now 1711 MB (I deleted another 4 or 5 apps this morning just to be able to update one of my apps that I use alot).
I look at media - it is comprised of Android taking 3872 MB and DCIM taking 287 MB.
Anroid consists of 3568 MB of data, 304 MB of obb, and .thumnails 287 mb. The data appears to be associated with the apps still on the phone.

Now, the app that uses the most of the data was moved to the SD card. So the app's data files don't get moved to the SD card when the app does? That really limits the number of apps and kinds of apps one can load onto the phone.

Upvote 0
Might I suggest clearing out cache and data in the apps them selves. This will reset most of them, but you will clear up old stored information.

Is this the button on each app page within application manager?

Could also try a factory data reset, start from scratch.

If I had a way to "capture" all non-factory settings of the phone in a document that I could review after the factory reset, I would do this.
However, I am afraid that if I did this I might never get some bits working again. I have had help from a couple of my kids over the months just to get things working like it does now.

Upvote 0
I select storage card. It shows it with 9948 MB. Of that an area called "Media" has 4377 MB, Apps has 3341 MB, System has 517 MB and Free space is now 1711 MB (I deleted another 4 or 5 apps this morning just to be able to update one of my apps that I use alot).
I look at media - it is comprised of Android taking 3872 MB and DCIM taking 287 MB.
Anroid consists of 3568 MB of data, 304 MB of obb, and .thumnails 287 mb. The data appears to be associated with the apps still on the phone.

Could you share screen prints of your storage usage screen? (settings/storage)

If possible, could you try to uninstall one of these apps (large one if possible) and see if you get back that space? And then, reinstall the app (and move to SD) and see if you retain that space?

Upvote 0
Is this the button on each app page within application manager?

If I had a way to "capture" all non-factory settings of the phone in a document that I could review after the factory reset, I would do this.
However, I am afraid that if I did this I might never get some bits working again. I have had help from a couple of my kids over the months just to get things working like it does now.

Answer to your question is yes. In the application manager.

Upvote 0
I have a LOT of space on my SD card. For some reason, marking all apps that could be moved and telling the system to move them did NOT free up much space. Right now, my S4's tiny little 9 GB drive has more than 8 GB full.
That's because the "Move to SD" feature only moves the app's data, not the app itself.

Shot in the dark, but try this: go into the stock phone dialer and enter *#9900# as though you were dialing it. At the resulting screen, select "delete dumpstate/logcat." If you had accumulated dump and/or error logs (which can be HUGE), this should clear them out. It doesn't work on all phones, but it worked on my 4.3 S4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones