Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?

1. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

I am having quite big problems with my EVO 4G's 8GB card that it came with.

The symptoms are: all data on it would randomly disappear and only a reboot would fix it.

The camera app starts complaining that it can't save pictures due to bad permissions.

The music app (TuneWiki) would go crazy and almost freeze the phone while trying to play the playlist that is loaded into its memory.

The gallery app would see no pics.

The ASTRO app would show empty dirs and some dirs as unavailable.

At least another EVO user is experiencing similar problems: Twitter / Neil Lund: @AndroidPolice I had the s ... Twitter / Neil Lund: @AndroidPolice I believe t ...

I am wondering how global this problem is and if other EVO owners are experiencing the same issues. I don't want to lose all my data one day and would rather alert HTC and Sprint if it's widespread.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  2. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

No issues at all for me.
  3. Evo_Pimpin

Evo_Pimpin Well-Known Member

Could be a bad card. Do you have another one you could try.
    marctronixx likes this.
  4. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

I don't at the moment while I'm traveling on my honeymoon but what concerns me is that it indeed may be a bad SD card, in which case I'm wondering how many other EVO 4G owners are affected. The one I knew was affected - what are the odds of that?

Also, it doesn't happen every day but I am using my camera and music app a lot due to traveling, so you might still hit it one day.
  5. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Could you try reformatting your SD card?
  6. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

Perhaps your new bride is sabotaging the device so you'll stop using it! :)
    ibleedbloo likes this.
  7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

LOL! That's what you get when your attention is more on a phone then your wife on your honeymoon....

Seriously though, I hope it's just your card and not your hardware. :)
    septro likes this.
  8. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

god this reeks of the mytouch3g problem. hopefully its an isolated incident and just a bad card.
  9. h2_hummer

h2_hummer Active Member

I had a very similar problem. Tried to save something and said the card was full. When I checked the storage, it said there was 0.0 there and 0.0 available.

I took the card out, put it back in and it worked fine. It has only happened once so far.

C
  10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Actually I'm having the same exact issue as well. I didn't bother starting a thread since I'll be getting an aftermarket 16 gig Class 6 card, in a few days.

There is a widget out there that will unmount & remount your SDCard, so you don't have to reboot. That is a temporary workaround.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I wonder if the Evo's were shipped with super shitty sdcards.

One of the things I was planning on doing tonight was pulling all of my files off and reformatting the card, to see if that helps.
  11. Colorado_Al

Colorado_Al Well-Known Member

Try re-seating the card. I had the same problem at the first startup. Powered off, removed the battery, pulled the SD card lever, removed the SD card, reinserted SD card, pushed in the SD card lever, installed battery and back cover and have not had the problem since.
  12. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

i had this happen to my tp2 and a 16gb card. it would just randomly disappear. i think its just a defective card.
  13. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

I just tried to reseat my card, and files disappeared again via Astro File Manager.

Am going to pull my data off and reformat the card. I'm hoping it's the card itself and not something in the Evo itself!
  14. h2_hummer

h2_hummer Active Member

What is the easiest way to move to a new card? Want to move to a 16 GB card. Do I have format the card in the Evo? Then I can just copy folders over?
  15. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

16. Colorado_Al

Colorado_Al Well-Known Member

Bummer. Did your EVO come with a 2GB card as well from Google I/O (full of music)? Maybe you can try that before you wipe the 8GB.
  17. mcnutty

mcnutty Well-Known Member

This is a "known issue" that requires a disc format to permanently resolve.
  18. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate with details please? I'm rather curious.

My card seemingly took its final shit on me, so I just reformatted it. Thankfully I didn't lose anything, so I'm copying my photos and music back over right now. Irritating and doesn't give me much confidence. At least my replacement 16gb card is en route.

Nope, the seller kept it (I didn't really want it anyway).
  19. Lloyd50

Lloyd50 New Member

I've been having the same issue. I'm trying a different sd card to see if I have any issues.
  20. shokher99

shokher99 Member

I have an I/O Evo that came with a 8gb card and it was disappearing also. So I bought a new card thinking that it was the card but it happened again. I tried re formatting both of them but it didn't make a difference. I was thinking of hard re setting the device but didn't really want to do that if It wasnt going to fix it.
  21. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

I am curious to know if the I/O phones are the same hardware version as what is shipping this coming Friday.
  22. shokher99

shokher99 Member

A hard reset didn't fix it either. I have run out of ideas.
  23. Mahoni

Mahoni Active Member

Im confused..the evo doesn't even show on GSM arena? I thought it hadn't been released yet..at least not in aus.
  24. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Maybe try this App?

Reload SD - Android app on AppBrain

Let me know if it works because I'll then be putting it on my EVO when I get it. It sounds to me like this is indeed an EVO problem, not an SD Card problem. (People saying it happens even with new cards)
  25. tx_brandon

tx_brandon Well-Known Member

uh oh...looks like this is the first pain in the ass issue.