• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?

Maybe try this App?

Reload SD - Android app on AppBrain

Let me know if it works because I'll then be putting it on my EVO when I get it. It sounds to me like this is indeed an EVO problem, not an SD Card problem. (People saying it happens even with new cards)

After reformatting last night, I'm still seeing the issues this morning. For me, I can always trigger the failure, simply by opening Astro File Manager and trying to browse photos.

I tried to use your Reload SD widget, and the system does remount the card. However, it only sees the card as being a blank or unreadable card, thus asking me if I want to format it! If I reboot (and thank goodness this phone reboots fast), then it'll see the card again.

I noted during one try, that I could do plenty of other things like run SD Speed Test (a nice read/write test which doesn't work after the SD card fails), listen to music, or use the Gallery to browse photos.

I'm going to try a few other things. I'll re reseat the card once again, and maybe test to see if there's wiggle room that could be the root cause. If so, I'll look into maybe using a scotch tape shim to secure it further.

I'm also curious to try plugging the phone into my laptop after a failure, to see if I can see it as a USB drive still or not.

Upvote 0
i have opposite results. if i don't open the gallery i can look at pics through astro and take pictures all day long. if i open the gallery the photos will show up as thumbnails and maybe work for a short while but eventually when i try to bring a pic up full size it will hang. after it hangs if i try to use the camera it says that it doesnt have the file permissions. i think the gallery isnt letting go of the sd card. the weird part is i can browse the photos all day long if i go to the camera and hit the film icon to look at the pictures that i took. is that the same gallery app? when i plug in the phone to a computer after the failure, it doesn't give me the option to use as a disk drive at all. presumably because the phone doesn't detect it any more. so can anyone else isolate the gallery app as being the culprit??

Upvote 0
Alright gang, so I continued having the issue if I had the failure, then plugged the phone into my laptop - my PC wouldn't recognize the USB drive.

I popped my battery and took a closer look at the card slot mechanism. I cannot describe it, but the mechanism that secures the SD card is spring-based, and does have a tiny bit of play. I attempted to push the card in as far as it would go.

After rebooting, I have not been able to reproduce a failure - a GOOD THING. I'm going to keep an eye on things and see how it goes. If I suffer a failure again, I'm going to put a few small pieces of scotch tape on top of the SD Card. This'll make it thicker, forcing the battery to push it all the way down, hopefully securing it better.

I'll report back if I have any further issues. To those who are, try reseating your card and cross your fingers.

Oh yes, I found out about and secured a copy of h2testw, which can be used to test the data integrity of the card itself. I tested 1/2 of my card (it only tests sectors that are free space) and had no issues.

Upvote 0
I popped my battery and took a closer look at the card slot mechanism. I cannot describe it, but the mechanism that secures the SD card is spring-based, and does have a tiny bit of play. I attempted to push the card in as far as it would go.
Glad to hear it.
Re-seating the card did it for me. I think you need to make sure that the card is pressed firmly into the slot and that the release lever is pressed down firmly as well.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem - Camera app says it can't save to the card due to file permissions. The gallery sometimes shows all blank images, sometimes hangs.

I looked from a PC and reset the file permissions on some Thumbs.db files
(attrib -s -h h:\*.* /s)
When I upplugged the phone said preparing SD card, and now it's working at the moment.
I don't know if it was these files, or just making it prepare the card again, or how long it will last.

Upvote 0
I had this problem when I first got my EVO, but have not had it since.

Tried your way of making it come back - browsing with Astro - and I went back into camera and sure enough it said I didn't have permissions.

Decided to format the card using the official sdcard formatter here: SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association (takes awhile to do a full format because it writes to the whole card and then formats). I unmounted the card before I did this on the phone.

Put the card back in, browsed around and did everything I could to make it come back and everything seems ok now. YMMV.

Upvote 0
I had this problem when I first got my EVO, but have not had it since.

Tried your way of making it come back - browsing with Astro - and I went back into camera and sure enough it said I didn't have permissions.

Decided to format the card using the official sdcard formatter here: SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association (takes awhile to do a full format because it writes to the whole card and then formats). I unmounted the card before I did this on the phone.

Put the card back in, browsed around and did everything I could to make it come back and everything seems ok now. YMMV.

i also did a full format (took about 20 minutes) in vista and have not been able to duplicate the failure anymore. weird because i formatted them both in linux yesterday and that didnt stop it. keeping my fingers crossed...

also, i didnt put any of my old pictures on the card thinking that some of the files might not be playing nice with the phone.

Upvote 0
I've been doing alot of research on Android since first hearing about the evo since this will be my first Android device. I'm still eagerly awaiting Friday but now i'm kinda nervous since I read the sd card post. I will be using the camera religiously for taking pics of my son. Anyone else nervous about this? It's been a known issue for over a year and it's still around...

Upvote 0
Finally just got back home from running around all day.

I'm both disappointed and glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Thanks for posting up that SD Formatter - I'm going to try that immediately. Also plan on digging further into the Android Bug Report thread. I'll report back if I find anything useful, that hasn't been shared here already.

Upvote 0
that is not going to affect me. the people who post online do not represent the masses so although we have seen people post about it i dont think its anything to get alarmed about. i have the htc hero (had.. just sold it) on launch day and had a 16gb card in it and it was just fine. i stored facebook photos i would upload and some 3 stooges shorts on the card and never had any issues. the evo is a first gen phone so it will have bugs just like any first gen phone. we will be early adopters of this new tech so bugs will show up... mass produced products have bugs in them... the evo is no different..

but no im not worried because of a few posts...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones