Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?Support

1. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Probably bad sd cards. Happens more than you think. Also, could be 100% user error as well.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
  2. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Comment not was not for this thread.
  3. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

There's several of us, and I'm not using ATK.

Try again.
    Archon810 and mrk like this.
  4. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

The issue posted on other threads. :D
  5. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

Bek -

Just out of curiousity, do you have another SD card you can compare the problematic one with? I don't have any but I was wondering if some manufacturers are using a more flimsy thin plastic than other brands. I'm also wondering if the contacts are raised enough to keep in constant contact with the pins.

Thanks
  6. Lloyd50

Lloyd50 New Member

Ok guys. I had my girls 1gig Sd in and had no issues. I just went out and picked up a new 8gig sd. So far no issues out of the new 8 gig sd that I purchased. Will report back with the status of my 8 gig sd that I'm using now.
  7. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Good news for now -

I used the SD Formatter Tool linked to earlier, and fully formatted the SD card. Took my system about 30 minutes to do. Since then, I've reloaded 2 gigs worth of photos and MP3s, and have not been able to reproduce the failure again.

Hopefully that did the trick. To the others who have been having issues, back up your files then try it as well. Hope this sticks!

Unfortunately, I do not have another card. My 16gb card is en route from Amazon and should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I had added some scotch tape to act as a shim, to ensure that there is constant contact.
  8. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

AAAAhhhh i see now....yea not an issue for me I have my own 16GB card that have all my apps and stuff already waiting for the EVO....Have used it in 2 other android phones and works great. That would suck if the stock card has issues but I am sure sprint or BB will replace it and its certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker or cause to worry.
  9. h2_hummer

h2_hummer Active Member

OK, so this is getting worst. At first it was just a one time thing. Tonight it happened about 5 out of 10 times I tried to use the camera. Sometimes turning it off and back on would fix it. Sometimes I had to remove the battery. Once I had to remove the card.

Could someone tell me what folders I need to copy to keep what I already have on the card? I have a new 16GB card that I can switch to. Should I format it in the EVO or use the SD Formatter that someone mentioned above?

Thanks... C
  10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Someone in the main thread linked to an Android developer bug thread. There was an implication that this could be OS based, but the thread itself is inconclusive.

I'm thinking/hoping a solid, zero'd out reformatting will do the trick for me.
  11. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

The only folder I pulled off was the DCIM folder, which contains your camera photos, and the media folders I put there myself.
  12. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

SHO_ONE and shokher99 like this.
  13. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

14. theone29

theone29 New Member

Ahh, you beat me to it. My Google Alerts just delivered the same news you just posted.

There is probably be a recall with a swapout.
  15. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

if it was OS based, wouldn't it be happening on ALOT more Evos? Unless it was a certain app or setting that caused the SD card to become unreadable.

I'm still going with the "Bad SD Card" theory. I wonder who makes the Micro SD cards that Sprint is including in the Evo.
  16. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Sandisk - so not a crap manufacturer.
  17. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

Thanks, I didn't know what brand they were using.
  18. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

I've had sd card issues with my WinMo phones but have yet to have one with my Heros or my sisters Moment.

TS
  19. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

is there a sd formatter program you can use on a mac?

thanks
    fofy21 likes this.
  20. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

You would be surprised how many low quality cards get passed off as brand name and sold to major retailers.

On MicroSD Problems bunnie's blog

Kind of a long read... tl;dr version: Chumby maker ordered a ton of MicroSD cards only to find many were defective, leads to investigation into seamy world of grey market MicroSD cards and late night factory "ghost runs".
  21. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

I've never had any issues with my SD card in my hero or my Evo. Both have worked great. And I uae ATK.
  22. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

Just got the error again. So the SD Formatter doesn't seem to do the trick. Will try another 8GB SD card I have here that I used with my old Nexus One.

Edit: This card seems to work fine. It was also formatted with SD Formatter and I tried everything to get the no permissions error to come up and nothing. Looks like a hardware issue?
  23. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

I think odds are good we see an update at release or right after
  24. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

andddlay and djdisturbed like this.
  25. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

With all due respect to the OP, I am renaming the thread from:
    "EVO 4G owners: Do you have the same dismount/disappearing SD card problems?"
    to
    "Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?"

also added the thread to the "All Forum Links" thread.

TS