• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?

Good news for now -

I used the SD Formatter Tool linked to earlier, and fully formatted the SD card. Took my system about 30 minutes to do. Since then, I've reloaded 2 gigs worth of photos and MP3s, and have not been able to reproduce the failure again.

Hopefully that did the trick. To the others who have been having issues, back up your files then try it as well. Hope this sticks!

Just out of curiousity, do you have another SD card you can compare the problematic one with? I don't have any but I was wondering if some manufacturers are using a more flimsy thin plastic than other brands. I'm also wondering if the contacts are raised enough to keep in constant contact with the pins.

Unfortunately, I do not have another card. My 16gb card is en route from Amazon and should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I had added some scotch tape to act as a shim, to ensure that there is constant contact.

Upvote 0
There's several of us, and I'm not using ATK.

Try again.

AAAAhhhh i see now....yea not an issue for me I have my own 16GB card that have all my apps and stuff already waiting for the EVO....Have used it in 2 other android phones and works great. That would suck if the stock card has issues but I am sure sprint or BB will replace it and its certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker or cause to worry.

Upvote 0
OK, so this is getting worst. At first it was just a one time thing. Tonight it happened about 5 out of 10 times I tried to use the camera. Sometimes turning it off and back on would fix it. Sometimes I had to remove the battery. Once I had to remove the card.

Could someone tell me what folders I need to copy to keep what I already have on the card? I have a new 16GB card that I can switch to. Should I format it in the EVO or use the SD Formatter that someone mentioned above?

Thanks... C

Upvote 0
AAAAhhhh i see now....yea not an issue for me I have my own 16GB card that have all my apps and stuff already waiting for the EVO....Have used it in 2 other android phones and works great. That would suck if the stock card has issues but I am sure sprint or BB will replace it and its certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker or cause to worry.

Someone in the main thread linked to an Android developer bug thread. There was an implication that this could be OS based, but the thread itself is inconclusive.

I'm thinking/hoping a solid, zero'd out reformatting will do the trick for me.

Upvote 0
OK, so this is getting worst. At first it was just a one time thing. Tonight it happened about 5 out of 10 times I tried to use the camera. Sometimes turning it off and back on would fix it. Sometimes I had to remove the battery. Once I had to remove the card.

Could someone tell me what folders I need to copy to keep what I already have on the card? I have a new 16GB card that I can switch to. Should I format it in the EVO or use the SD Formatter that someone mentioned above?

Thanks... C

The only folder I pulled off was the DCIM folder, which contains your camera photos, and the media folders I put there myself.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You would be surprised how many low quality cards get passed off as brand name and sold to major retailers.

On MicroSD Problems bunnie's blog

Kind of a long read... tl;dr version: Chumby maker ordered a ton of MicroSD cards only to find many were defective, leads to investigation into seamy world of grey market MicroSD cards and late night factory "ghost runs".

Upvote 0
Just got the error again. So the SD Formatter doesn't seem to do the trick. Will try another 8GB SD card I have here that I used with my old Nexus One.

Edit: This card seems to work fine. It was also formatted with SD Formatter and I tried everything to get the no permissions error to come up and nothing. Looks like a hardware issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones