• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?

I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue was only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved. I am switching form the Crap pre to the HTC Evo 4G, and I am glad to now be a part of Android Forums. Thanks guys and have a good night.

Lakers back in the Finals baby. Boston is next:)

Upvote 0
I could care less... that's $30... a drop in the bucket. Hey, I'm fine with this measly 2gb card. (I feel old... I remember having a 128mb jump drive and thinking it was a lot of space) I only really use it for the camera and whatnot, that and I dump whatever pictures I take through the day as soon as I get home. If the 8gb card that's thrown in is total bunk, it'd be a disappointment, yes, no doubt. But it's only a trinket so you don't have to go out and get one right away. The 2gb that came on my Hero is small, but it's enough to get me started, which I think is the point of them.

Upvote 0
From the Facebook Evo fan page, courtesy of Robert Becher:

"I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue was only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved."

Upvote 0
that is not going to affect me. the people who post online do not represent the masses so although we have seen people post about it i dont think its anything to get alarmed about. i have the htc hero (had.. just sold it) on launch day and had a 16gb card in it and it was just fine. i stored facebook photos i would upload and some 3 stooges shorts on the card and never had any issues. the evo is a first gen phone so it will have bugs just like any first gen phone. we will be early adopters of this new tech so bugs will show up... mass produced products have bugs in them... the evo is no different..

but no im not worried because of a few posts...

Considering there are only around 5000 phones out in the wild (and how many of those are being used at all and of those that are being used how many are heavily accessing the uSD card), I definitely think there is something to worry about. There are no "masses" yet so the number of posts here seem disproportionate. I'm hoping it's a software issue because if the issue is related to the hardware it's going to require a recall of all the devices manufactured to date.

Upvote 0
From the Facebook Evo fan page, courtesy of Robert Becher:

"I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue was only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved."

Let's hope this is accurate for us waiting for the June 4th release, and let's hope Sprint does some form of software update for those who eBayed the Google I/O phones!

Upvote 0
Let's hope this is accurate for us waiting for the June 4th release, and let's hope Sprint does some form of software update for those who eBayed the Google I/O phones!

I have phone "googlehtcevodemo138" I had this problem the first time I started the phone. Reseated the card and did not have the issue until this morning, 6 days later. Reseated the card and then no error.
I have an 8GB microSD from my TP2 that I just reformatted on my PC and I am going to use it and see how it goes.

Curious, 8GB microSD from my TP2 when formatted fat32 lists 7.60 GB available.
8GB card from Google I/O when formatted fat32 lists 7.39 GB available.

Upvote 0
I spoke to a Sprint tech and she spoke to her supervisor. She was very helpful, and the info she gave me was very accurate.

And what additional info did she give you? Did they not address whether current Google I/O Evo holders would be able to obtain fixes? Your posts read as if you're withholding additional information, which is not being terribly helpful to those of us here in the thread who have been experiencing the issue.

Upvote 0
i formatted a 16g last night on my laptop, and it showed available space as 14.58g....is it normal for an empty card to show less mem like this...r there hidden files or something?

" When you format a memory card, the size indicated by your device or PC may appear smaller than the advertised capacity of the memory card.
Computer Operating Systems commonly define 1 Megabyte (MB) as 1,024 Kilobytes (KB). Flash Memory Card Manufacturers commonly define 1 Megabyte (MB) as 1000 Kilobytes (KB).
Therefore, a memory card with an advertised capacity of 128MB may show a smaller formatted size on a PC. This is standard for all memory cards. "

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
So I saw the no permissions message on my camera after the long format procedure. Needless to say I was bummed. The thing is I left the phone on because I was going to change the battery in a few minutes anyways. Well long story short, I opened the camera app again without reboot and it recognized the card. Hmmmm. Now what?

Upvote 0
I am sorry but I dont buy it either. These phones have been boxed and ready to ship out for a while now.

There is no way Sprint or HTC handed out 2,000 "test" units to the Google conference people. That would be suicide for both of them.

If RS alone has gone through 200,000 pre-orders there is now way from last week when the google people got their phones until the release next week that all those phones will be fixed.

I am willing to put money on it that if the google phones have this problem the phones next week will have this problem also.

On a side note: I have been using a 16gb card in my EVO for about 3 days and have not had the problem yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones