• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue: Dismount/disappearing defect in the Included 8GB MicroSD?

Bek and everyone else with this problem. I am sorry to hear about your problems with the phone. I also received a I/O phone, but installed a 16GB card from the beginning. I have taken the card in and out multiple times to load videos. I have also taken numerous pics and videos which were later accessed. I have yet to have a problem (knock on wood)

So, hopefully it is a card issue.

Mine is googlehtcevodemo4925.

Upvote 0
Bek and everyone else with this problem. I am sorry to hear about your problems with the phone. I also received a I/O phone, but installed a 16GB card from the beginning. I have taken the card in and out multiple times to load videos. I have also taken numerous pics and videos which were later accessed. I have yet to have a problem (knock on wood)

is your 16gb a class 2 or class 6?

Upvote 0
I read that it is a problem with the phones that were handed out at that convention. I got this from the Evo's FB page:

"
I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue w...as only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved. I am switching form the Crap pre to the HTC Evo 4G, and I am glad to now be a part of Android Forums. Thanks guys and have a good night."

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I read that it is a problem with the phones that were handed out at that convention. I got this from the Evo's FB page:

"
I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue w...as only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved. I am switching form the Crap pre to the HTC Evo 4G, and I am glad to now be a part of Android Forums. Thanks guys and have a good night."
Maybe they are saying the update to fix this is Froyo OTA update as soon as we turn on your phones on friday!!!!! (ok wishfull thinking :p)

Upvote 0

I have also been using a 16gb class 6 card since day one.

No problems so far. Have taken lots of pics with the camera and completely shut the phone on and off every night.

Knock on wood.

Upvote 0
To be honest IMO this is why they gave all those handsets away. This is the perfect way to find defects and bugs pre launch. HTC had a patch come out for the Incredible about 10 days after launch so expect one coming soon also for the EVO.

So you think they will (or can) call back close to a half-million phones, unpack them all, fix them all 1 at a time, repack them then ship them out to resellers all in less than 2 weeks because they found a possible problem?

Never gonna happen unless they delay release for at least a month.

Reactions: Archon810
Upvote 0
So you think they will (or can) call back close to a half-million phones, unpack them all, fix them all 1 at a time, repack them then ship them out to resellers all in less than 2 weeks because they found a possible problem?

I agree. I think this is either a SW bug that affects many of the units, both Google I/O and general release, that they will address with an OTA update, or it is a problem with a bad batch of SD cards from SanDisk.

We'll have to see how it plays out.

Upvote 0
I had this problem when I first got my EVO, but have not had it since.

Tried your way of making it come back - browsing with Astro - and I went back into camera and sure enough it said I didn't have permissions.

Decided to format the card using the official sdcard formatter here: SD Formatter 2.0 for SD/SDHC - SD Association (takes awhile to do a full format because it writes to the whole card and then formats). I unmounted the card before I did this on the phone.

Put the card back in, browsed around and did everything I could to make it come back and everything seems ok now. YMMV.
I have one of the Google I/O phones and had the same problem, but reformatting the card with this special SD Formatter worked for me. Sometimes drives that are massed produced or cloned can have problems, so I suggest putting this high on your todo list before you have much data.

This problem didn't show up for a few days for me, but why take a chance?

Edit: I formatted the card with the utility without removing it from the phone. Here's the steps I used:

1. Plug the phone into USB and choose "Mount Drive" from the screen.
  2. With Windows Explorer, copy the files on the SD card to a new folder on your desktop.
  3. Download, install and run the special SD Formatter from the link above in aldo's post.
  4. You only need to do quick erase so it only takes a few seconds.
  5. When the format is complete, restore your backup files to the SD card.
  6. Done

Upvote 0
Well, I guess I may as well make a quick update.

24 hours since I've reformatted the card. Every time I've turned on the phone, I've made sure to hop over to Astro and browse files on the SD Card, and to the Gallery and browse photos. This used to cause the card to fail, but thus far I have not experienced a failure again.

To the rest who have experienced the issue, can we get an update regarding your latest experiences?

Regarding the claim that this is a software issue that Sprint has already solved, I think that's a load of shit. I replied to the post on the HTC Evo Facebook site, to the guy who claims he spoke to Sprint, and have yet to get any actual clarification. Someone else here stated they communicated with Sprint as well. Neither have posted up more information, much less replied to the inquiries. That leads me to believe that they were full of shit, or just fed lines of bullshit from Sprint Customer Care.

Upvote 0
24 hours with a new 16 GB Sandisk card and have not seen the problem once. Yesterday, I saw it atleast 10 times. So atleast for now, it looks like swapping the card fixed the problem. Of course, with the original card, I did not see the problem until day 3 or 4, so I won't feel real comfortable, until I go atleast a week without seeing it on this card.

Upvote 0

You have no idea how old the handsets are that they gave away. That may be the very reason they gave them away in the first place. The ones shipping for retail this week could have totally different and or upgraded components in them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones