• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Issue mounting internal SD card

I'm running CM10.1 for my Bionic. None of the apps in the system (except PlayStore) have access to the internal SD card because it is mounted at the wrong point.

I have the following architecture:

[HIGH]
/storage/
sdcard0/
sdcard1/
usb0/
usb1/
[/HIGH]My Internal SD is in sdcard0/, but I discovered in a root file browser that sdcard1/ is marked as the internal storage device. sdcard1/ is an empty file directory.

I can remove sdcard1, and then create a symlink to sdcard0/ called "sdcard1" and this fixes some applications; not all.

ie:
[HIGH]
su
mv sdcard1 sdcard2
ln -s sdcard0 sdcard1
exit
[/HIGH]Reboot overwrites these changes as well. How do I achieve a more permanent and effective solution?

I'm running the latest nightly build from CyanogenMod; here. I just installed this build a few minutes ago.

And just so I am sure, are you running Safestrap recovery, and you installed in a ROM slot, or ClockworkMod?

If it is Safestrap, then the ROM is designed to use the external SD card as the /sdcard mount point deliberately. Because the recovery uses emmc (aka "internal storage") to store ROM slots, and because each ROM slot can take up as much as 3.7 GB, Hashcode designed his CM and AOKP builds to use your external SD card as the default storage location for /sdcard, in order to protect the "internal storage" from filling up (it is 12 GB empty, IIRC.)

See Changes coming in Safestrap v3 | Hash-of-Codes ; in particular,

Question: Why the move in the STS-Dev-Team ROMs to establish the external SD card as the

Upvote 0
Hah, I should've read my user manual. I didn't realize the bionic DOES have an external SD card slot on top of the SIM card. I assumed it didn't have one. Being a poor college student, it would be nice to have the internal memory work however I can go pick an SD card up from Walmart. Thank you for looking into this for me, I very much appreciate it.

Edit: I am using SafeStrap, yes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones