Issue not seeing images after ICS upgrade (ATT)Support

1. jpfotoz

jpfotoz Member

I have a VERY similar problem - my difference is that I had ATT do an upgrade on my Galaxy SII to Ice Cream Sandwich and I now can't see any photos that were on the phone previously. (I was getting a loop in the touch wiz interface and couldn't access the phone the lame ATT tech at their service center said all he could do was do the upgrade -- I figured out later that the Keis software could have saved my photos.)

Will the same techniques work for me? I'm about to attempt to clone the phone to a hard drive as a back up and have something I can dig around in, instead of the actual phone.

I also found some Computer Forensic sofware to clone the drive.

Any further advise is greatly appreciated.

JP

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Without knowing exactly what they did at the AT&T store, I can't say whether or not anything will work to retrieve your missing images. A factory reset or system update should not have touched your /sdcard partition. If you use a file browser like Astro or ES file explorer, can you go to /sdcard/DCIM and see if there are any images there?

If the tech formatted the sdcard storage, then I'm afraid there's not a lot that can be done.
  3. jpfotoz

jpfotoz Member

The did an install of Ice Cream Sandwich - I think it was a full install vs the update as all the forums I've read mentioned problems.

I looked with a app called Solid Explorer - and only see one photo in the DCIM folder - that I took after the install.

Does that mean they wiped my internal storage and killed all my photos?

Thank you.
  4. lunatic59

That's not good news. :( Sorry.

I'm not sure what you mean by installing the full version vs. the update. There are three ways to update a phone. One is to apply updates from the carrier or manufacturer that will migrate you from a previous version to the current version while leaving your apps and settings intact.

Another is to download the most recent carrier firmware for your device from the manufacturers site and install that which is pretty much setting it back to factory settings. You can do this several ways, but the result is the same.

Finally you can root your phone and install custom firmware (aka. flashing).

None of these methods require the /sdcard partition be reformatted, although sometimes custom firmware will repartition your device which will wipe everything out.

Now, when you move from one version to a new one -- and the move from Gingerbread to ICS was a major move -- it is always recommended to clear your caches and perform a factory reset. It may be possible that from the recovery menu, the tech reformatted the /sdcard as well.

It does sound like your images are gone. It may be possible to use a utility like recuva, but I have never had much success with these types of utilities. You plug your phone into a PC and mount as storage. Then run recuva and look at the drive that represents the phone's internal storage.
  5. jpfotoz

jpfotoz Member

I tried the Recuva software and it didn't find images that I'm looking for. :(
    I think the lame tech person did the factory install. [I think I'll write ATT a nasty gram - maybe they'll feel my pain and give me a new SIII :)]

Moving forward what do you suggest I use to backup my photos, apps, contacts? What's the best method? Google? Dropbox? Can I backup everything? Which is best and can any of them be automatic?

Thanks in advance!
  6. lunatic59

If you sync your contacts to Google, they'll always be there in the cloud. You can sync all your photos to Picassa as well and I am sure there are other services as well. You'll have to look at the data they consume, if that's an issue. For example, if you are on a limited data plan and you only want to sync at night when you are home on your personal wifi connection, then you'll have to look into an app or service that schedules the sync'ing.

You can sync apps and app data with Google, too. What will happen is that if you ever wipe your phone or register a new one to the same gmail account, the apps will automatically install and attempt to restore the last dataset for those apps. It's not 100% but it's better than doing them one at a time.

For rooted users, Titanium backup and nandroids are the common fare.

I sync my contacts and apps, but i copy photos manually, only because I don't really leave copies of photos on my phone for too long.