• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue "unfortunately sound picker has stopped"

iamloco724

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2009
I go into my messages settings to change the notification sound and i get "unfortunately sound picker has stopped"

Now i believe this might be happening because I used a hangouts notification sound as my text alert in messages and i updated hangouts tonight and i think that sound was changed because my text sound is different now but when i go into the area to change it i get that error and before i even go into it i can see on the menu portion before hitting my selection that for whatever reason its showing what i have as my ringtone under text notification sound yet when i get a text its not playing that sound either.

So my pain problem is i just want to be able to get back into the sound selection so i can choose a text notification sound, i have tried uninstalling the hangouts update i have tried clearing data and cache from messages and hangouts and even sound picker and i still cant seem to resolve this

I know this isnt a common thing because i google "unfortunately sound picker has stopped" and i literally get no results

any ideas?

Try this;

Tap on Settings
Tap on Apps then scroll over to All
Tap on Sound Picker and scroll down to Clear defaults
Tap on Clear defaults then restart your phone

It's the one thing you didn't clear. Might help, can't hurt.

I was just coming to post that I fixed it by restoring defaults in the messages app.. ThanksThanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones