• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issue with Nexus 5

Amine1987

Lurker
May 13, 2014
Hello

I bought a nexus 5 in february and i have an issue with it. Sometimes i loose the normal network for 30-45 seconds. Ive changed once my micro sim card but the problem still remains. I'm from Quebec province in Canada with Bell as a provider....

Could you suggest me somthing to solve this problem

Thanks

I'll sometimes drop signal for a few seconds but its likely because Sprint is doing a lot of tower work in the area. Try making sure your phone is set up correctly on the network. Toggling airplane mode might help alleviate the issue as well.

If it is indeed a radio bug and not carrier issues there isnt much you can do, except hope the next update fixes them.

Upvote 0
Are you guys running stock only?
Are you rooted or running a custom ROM/kernel?

I know that the earlier builds, pre 4.4.2 had a radio bug that would drop signal.... But were supposed to have been fixed in 4.4.2. Although I've heard users have had issues on this build too.
As Rxpert83 said, Toggling airplane mode should help too as this will reset/refresh the radio. Although this would probably be only a temporary fix.... Same with rebooting the device and then the problem reoccurs.

You could also try going into "settings/more/mobile networks/preferred network type and change the setting to LTE (which is recommended) or to 3g. If your in an area that doesn't have LTE then 3g would be the preferred network setting... Or try setting it to "Global"

I did read that quite a few users specifically on Canadian - Bell/Rogers/Fido and users in the UK have had this problem and that by changing the "MVNO type" in the APN setting to "IMSI" solved the issue for them.

If your rooted and have made a proper nandroid and an EFS backup, you could try flashing a different radio/modem version. This post has a "Modems Link" to the various radio versions for the N5 and is an good thread about EFS and how to back it up.
[MODEM] [EFS] Nexus 5 Flashable Modems and E

Upvote 0
I never had this problem at all until I just did a factory reset on my phone and now it's happening all the time. At least in my case it seems like it's wi-fi related. If I have wi-fi off I have a solid LTE connection all the time. If I'm on a shoddy wifi connection, though, I'll lose data and my cell connection completely. Airplane mode doesn't help, only a full reboot. And then the problem can possibly just happen again immediately after rebooting.

As far as my phone setup goes, I have all the same stuff installed as before the reset. Less, actually. Other than that, the only thing that changed was me doing a factory reset of my phone, hoping my battery life would be better. Little did I know it would make my phone near unusable.

Upvote 0
If you "lose cell connection" does that mean a few seconds of not being able to hear the other person or does it drop the call and you have to call back?

That has happened to me a couple of times on a call it just drops and I call back or they call me back but the good thing is its only been a couple of times n it wasn't important phone calls

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones