issue with sending picture mmsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. yasikwidit

yasikwidit Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure if this had already been addressed but is anyone having trouble sending picture (or video, etc.) mms on the eris? I'm currently using handcent and it would not send any picture texts. The sending green bubble keeps spinning no matter how long I leave it. Then the text becomes "undelivered."

I also tried sending picture mms with the native message app and it got sent but the people I was trying to send it to said they didn't receive anything.

Advertisement
  2. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

do you have mobile network on? aka 3G?

3. Crunchbot

Crunchbot Member

I had that issue with handcent also. I could never get it to send pictures, no matter the strength of the connection, type of data connection, or even state I was in (Oregon or Florida).

It's too bad, I liked it a lot but I didn't want to switch back and forth depending on what kind of message I was sending, so I went back to the stock one (in the Eris).

Since then, I haven't really missed handcent, It occured to me I just need to read the message, I don't need to look at the colors. I also like that I got the popup back on my lock screen without having to use SMS popup.

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

make sure if you are using handcent your options in the stock messages app

settings>auto retrieve is off

5. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

hm..for me it seems to do that whenn 3 G is off, at all other times it works

6. yasikwidit

I think I had my 3G off because I was at home and using WIFI. Will try this again on 3G and see how it goes. Thanks.

7. JoCo1289

JoCo1289 Well-Known Member

I also have a somewhat problem with mms messaging. I know you have to have the mobile network on to send them but some people only get red x's when I send them pics. I resize the picture like twice like it tells me to and they still don't get it. I've tested sending the pictures to my siblings and their phones get the pictures just fine. So is my phone to blame for those people's red x's or is it their phone?

8. yasikwidit

I've tried sending picture mms with 3G on and it worked. Thanks guys.

btw, when i turn on wifi, does 3G automatically turn off? or do i have to manually do it to save batt?

9. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

The answer to your question is sort of "yes and no".

MMS messages can only be sent or received using the Mobile network interface - not through WiFi.

If you send an MMS - or one is pending for delivery (inbound), and you have both "Mobile network" and Wifi turned on, the "Mobile network" will be used only temporarily for talking to Verizon's MMS servers. Under almost all other circumstances (with both WiFi and Mobile network turned on) the WiFi connection will be used, and the cell radio will not be active. On the other hand, if you explicitly turn off "Mobile network", MMS can not be sent or received. I suppose that means that messages get stuffed into a Drafts status, or you get an error message, depending on the SMS/MMS app.

Will that save battery, with both WiFi and Mobile network turned on?

Yes - but only while you are connected to a WiFi AP. As soon as you lose your connection to the WiFi AP, the (cellular) Wireless network will start to be used for data traffic again.

I realize that's a complicated answer - but that's the way it appears to work.

eu1

10. yasikwidit

that actually makes a lot of sense. thanks for all the help.

btw, do you guys know where drafts are saved in handcent? i can't seem to find them.

11. Jess8222

Jess8222 New Member

I cannot send picture texts at all... I did a factory reset once and it worked then after one sent picture text, it no longer worked. I didn't change any settings after it worked then it just didn't send pictures anymore. NOW that I have a NEW phone that they sent me... it STILL doesn't work... it worked after the activation one time like the other phone... then nothing agian.... I've tried everything above and spoke to 3 tech people, they have no idea. I get the message "National Coverage Not Available" Tech people checked my data plan and everything, nothing seems to be wrong. I am so frustrated... someone have any ideas????? Makes NO sense to me.