issue with SGP Ultra Crystal ClearAccessories

Last Updated:

1. mig1980

mig1980 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I purchased some SP and got them in. They had a sticker to lay down the top of the SP. Well, after I laid it down and tried to peel of the sticker it left a ton of residue. is this normal?

I also noticed that there are a ton of bubbles even after I tried to smooth them out using the squegee. How would I get all the bubbles out?

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. docprego

docprego Well-Known Member

It sounds like you haven't removed all the protectove plastic overlays. If memory serves I think the SGP has a plastic overlay on the adhesive side that goes against the screen and another on top of the protector on the side that you contact with your fingers. I noticed that on the top surface overlay it gives the appearance of bubbles until it is removed. From your description I would guess that you are trying to peel the tab off of the top overlay which would leave a lot of residue on it, when in fact the tab and overlay should come off as a single unit leaving just the actual screen protector on the screen.

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Yup. I concur with this. I actually messed my first one up because of the same exact thing. I didn't realize that the entire screen protector is purposely sandwiched between 2 install sheets.

4. mig1980

mig1980 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That was the issue guys and yes I did mess up the first SP. Wish SGP would state that a little more clearly. Or maybe they do and I just don't like to read instructions.

5. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

Are there no tabs labelled 1 and 2 on them?

Here's a good video on installation. It's not on an EVO but the technique seems solid to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClV7HB8W35w&feature=related

Notice, he aligns the LONG side of the screen protector before laying it down. Also, he doesn't take off the first film all the way until his long edge is lined up. This is important as it gives him plenty of gripping surface to make small adjustments while trying to get the protector aligned perfectly. If you take off the first film completely, you have less to hold onto without leaving finger prints on the sticky side.

You can also put down one of the shorter sides first if you want...but the key is NOT to remove the backing all the way...peel it off as you lay it down. Search youtube for other installation videos.