• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Issues after rooting

jay_kay

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
Essex
Afternoon Y'all :p

Having a few issues since rooting and hoping someone here can offer some advice.

This morning I attached my phone to the laptop via usb to transfer some files but as soon as I did I lost all of my homescreen widgets (done via folder organizer) so was left with the boxes saying problem loading widget. I had a look in all apps and Folder Organiser was still there but when I went to add them back to the homescreen it was not in the list of widgets. I also noticed that mini info, android agenda widget and switch pro were also missing. I uninstalled them and then reinstalled via titanium and all was ok.

I didn't think it was a major issue as I could always connect via BT with no issued but at lunch I had downloaded Font Changer so went into recovery to apply the zip but when I came out the same thing had happened again?!?

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? Could it be Ap2sd+ causing this or I have read something on USB bricks?

EDIT: Just had a thought could this be fixed by putting the problem apps abck onto my phone and not the SD?

Are you definitely ONLY using a2sd+? This should be fine for your widgets.

Its only the froyo a2sd "Move app to sd card" function or maybe the install location mod that would cause this.

In regards to the folder organizer icons, i assume the icons you are using are on the SD card? That would make sense, although I've not seen it.

Reactions: jay_kay
Upvote 0
I've got about 200 icons stored on my SD card.

As far as I know its only Ap2SD+ that I installed. I also put the power mod and one other mod on there from Teppic's ROM.

I am in the process of putting it all back as it should be. Gonna then do a nandroid backup, hopefully it does not delete them again but I did go in via ROM Manager last time.

Might just wipe it all and reinstall the ROM over the weekend and start fresh.

Upvote 0
I'm not using froyo ap2sd. I've put a partition on my SD and then added ap2sd from the xda thread for teppics rooted stock ROM. I've got no doubt its something I've done but cannot figure for the life of me what it is.

Thinking I'm gonna start completely fresh and start again. It's happening when I just turn the phone off too and tried a hard reset earlier and just Hung on the HTC boot screen. Luckily I did a nandroid backup earlier so could get back in but still keeps doing the same thing.

Anyone got any ideas and if not what would be the best way to start completely rest and then reinstall the same ROM?

Big thanks for all the help people, new to Android but picking it up quick :0)

Upvote 0
If you do a wipe it'll certainly fix your problem, but on first boot A2SD+ will be activated again. If you don't want that, you either need to use adb to get rid of it (is a bit complicated if you're new to android) or you'll need to reinstall the base ROM. Alternatively delete the ext partition, then wipe, and A2SD+ will not get activated.

Upvote 0
Tried wiping from clockwork mod recovery but just Hung at boot screen again. Gave it 20 mins then had to pull the battery and restore.

One thing I've noticed is when I go into recovery some green writing comes up with an image error and Psomething after?

Also seen in advanced restore I can do certain parts. Could I do that and restore to a certain point?

Gonna spend the day at work tomorrow getting this sorted but time for sleep now :0)

Cheers for all the help!

Upvote 0
Cool so its nothing to worry about if its saying about no images?

The full part is

Checking for PB99DIAG.zip
No Image
Checking for PB99DIAG.nbh
No Image or Wrong Image
Checking for PB99IMG.zip
No Image or Wrong Image.

This is where I am at now...Not much further.

I cannot reset from within clockwork mod as when I reboot it just hangs which is the same as when I do it from within Settings.

It seems that whenever I set everything back up again and reboot it loses everything apart from the HTC and android widgets. All the apps are still in there eg switchpro but the option to use them as widgets has gone. I have to uninstall and then reinstall using titanium. I have stopped doing this now as getting fed up and will just keep doing the same thing.

Is there any other way to completely start from fresh? Tried reinstalling the ROM but it just kept looping on the quietly brilliant boot screen.

Have been googling all morning and not getting anywhere :thinking:

Upvote 0
:D Happy Days!

We are getting somewhere now. I wiped and reinstalled the ROM. It has now loaded up completely fresh and is looking good.

Right I presume my card is still partitioned and set up for AP2SD. Would it be best to remove that and format my card so that is completely fresh too?

I still want to use AP2SD but know now never to use disk drive mode again!

Would it be ok to reinstall that once the format is done?

You are a star Teppic, was just about to lose it and claim on my insurance!

Upvote 0
If you want to use A2SD+ then it sounds like you need to format your sdcard and start again. You can add the A2SD+ mod if you're sure it's all working.

I'll get it set up again and make completely sure its working 100% then re-do the A2SD+

Will make another Nandroid backup before that though as the last one kept loading with all the bad widgets!

Cheers mate. Am on a big learning curve but loving it and picking new bits up all the time :D

Upvote 0
I was normally around 20-30mb with everything I wanted installed. I enjoyed having A2SD installed as I could go a little mad and still had over 100mb free. It felt really good :)

The only thing I am missing now is my battery mod but just doing a nandroid backup now so will put that back on after if everything is going ok.

Right I think thats me done here, again thanks for your advice Teppic and DanFrance. Couldn't have done it without ya!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones