• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Issues/comments after installing ICS? Discuss/post here

You will most likely have to do a factory reset, and then download the update again.

Hi all,

While downloading the new Ice Cream Sandwich update for my HTC EVO 3D today, my phone turned off. Now it won't continue the update because the file is corrupt. Any ideas on how to fix this? :(

Thanks!

Upvote 0
how do u backup to computer...sorry for the newbie question but ive never had to do it before

Connect your phone to your computer using a USB/microUSB cable. Using your computer's windows explorer, browse to the phone, and select the SD card directory - copy the entire directory over to your computer's hard drive (just a regular copy/paste would work fine)

Or, if you prefer, power off your phone, remove the microSD card, connect it to your computer using a microSD card reader (assuming of course that you have access to one), and copy paste the contents using windows explorer) to your computer.

Upvote 0
Either mount your Phone and transfer filers, or take the SD card and use a reader and transfer files, or download an app called, My phone explorer client from the play store and transfer via WiFi, one of the best apps out there, I never mount my phone, I simply transfer all by WiFi

how do u backup to computer...sorry for the newbie question but ive never had to do it before

Upvote 0
-Background Data to prevent apps from connecting to google play (not talking about syn, etc) also setting data limit does NOT limit background data
-default option to load stuff when no default option is set to load a particular thing (ex. when you google search a youtube video and u click on the youtube link in google it will open youtube in mobile view instead of asking if you would like to open it in youtube app or browser.
-always on data option

does anyone know a fix for any of these? I have stock Evo3D ICS

PS yes i searched thru google and android forums for a solutions to these but NONE had a actual solution to any of these, just people talking like they know what there talking about but actually not knowing anything about what was being asked

Upvote 0
I found that I still have the original HTC flashlight. Maybe it's because I didn't back up and reset first?

Also, while I didn't "use" it, the free spinning carousal will be missed! Always thought it looked cool.

Anyone else having to get used to the new keyboard and wishes it could be dark keys for Swype again?

Upvote 0
-Background Data to prevent apps from connecting to Google Play (not talking about syn, etc) also setting data limit does NOT limit background data

-default option to load stuff when no default option is set to load a particular thing
(ex. when you Google search a Youtube video and you click on the Youtube link in Google it will open Youtube in mobile view instead of asking if you would like to open it in Youtube app or browser.

-always on data option

does anyone know a fix for any of these? I have stock Evo3D ICS

PS yes I searched thru Google and android forums for a solutions to these but NONE had a actual solution to any of these, just people talking like they know what there talking about but actually not knowing anything about what was being asked

I currently use the Evo 4G LTE (have the Evo 3D in a drawer - not going to update), and to turn off background data you HAVE to set a data limit and then go into settings (on screen menu key since there is not a hardware menu button anymore - for you try hitting the menu button) and select turn off background data. I believe this is an Ice Cream Sandwich change and should be similar across the handsets even though Sense is a different version?
If successful, you will probably have a notification in your bar all the time showing that background data is off.

As far as getting the phone to open applications instead of websites, you may want to give this thread on the Evo 4G LTE forum a read through: Android Forums | Evo 4G LTE - How to get it to open apps instead of websites?

Always on data option is gone as far as I can guess, based on my similar phone. The closest thing I can think of now is in the advanced wifi settings you can specify to keep wifi on during phone sleep, and use best performance which consumes more power.

Upvote 0
Is anyone's web browser not able to access certain form fields? For example, on phereo.com I can't get into the sign-in fields like username or password in the upper right hand corner because the address bar lingers at the top and blocks the form fields. It's so annoying.

Also, when I reply to a text, I always get directed to the lock screen first. Boo. My keyboard also seems to be a bit funky when I edit my text. :(

Upvote 0
Apparently my SMS problems were related to the threads being too large. After deleting the largest thread (which took about 20 minutes to actually delete, with no indication that it was actually doing anything), I can now open my text messages.

I've had similar issues with texts. I try to delete any thread that gets longer than 100 texts and the whole phone tends to work better.

Upvote 0
Is anyone's web browser not able to access certain form fields? For example, on phereo.com I can't get into the sign-in fields like username or password in the upper right hand corner because the address bar lingers at the top and blocks the form fields. It's so annoying.

Have you tried Chrome? I highly recommend it.

Reactions: ryanporter
Upvote 0
I haven't seen anyone post anything about this yet, so I hope I'm not reposting this. The whole ICS update went through with no problems at all except that I cant load any of my pictures or music that I have stored on my sd card. I downloaded astro, and plugged it into my pc to verify if they're still there and they are definitely still there. I tried using the music app and tried winamp, but for some reason it does not find any of the music I have. The same goes for pictures...I opened the gallery app and it cannot find any of my picture files. Is there something I;m missing or that I can do to fix this??

Upvote 0
Have you tried rebooting your phone ?? you also might need to do a FR

I haven't seen anyone post anything about this yet, so I hope I'm not reposting this. The whole ICS update went through with no problems at all except that I cant load any of my pictures or music that I have stored on my sd card. I downloaded astro, and plugged it into my pc to verify if they're still there and they are definitely still there. I tried using the music app and tried winamp, but for some reason it does not find any of the music I have. The same goes for pictures...I opened the gallery app and it cannot find any of my picture files. Is there something I;m missing or that I can do to fix this??

Reactions: billville
Upvote 0
I currently use the Evo 4G LTE (have the Evo 3D in a drawer - not going to update), and to turn off background data you HAVE to set a data limit and then go into settings (on screen menu key since there is not a hardware menu button anymore - for you try hitting the menu button) and select turn off background data. I believe this is an Ice Cream Sandwich change and should be similar across the handsets even though Sense is a different version?
If successful, you will probably have a notification in your bar all the time showing that background data is off.

As far as getting the phone to open applications instead of websites, you may want to give this thread on the Evo 4G LTE forum a read through: Android Forums | Evo 4G LTE - How to get it to open apps instead of websites?

Always on data option is gone as far as I can guess, based on my similar phone. The closest thing I can think of now is in the advanced wifi settings you can specify to keep wifi ono during phone sleep, and use best performance which consumes more power.

Ok so first I already tried what u said and it DOES NOT actually turn off background data, I can still go into google play and I still get app updates, yes there is a icon saying press this button if u would like to turn on background data but in fact doesn't do anything
Second app association does NOT let u choose what apps to open what in, huge misconception there

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed that the battery is draining faster? I have a second battery, but it still feels like it's going faster than when it was running gingerbread.

Any ideas?

I'm giving it a few days before I judge the battery life. Like you, my battery life seems to be noticeably less since the update. Sometimes it seems better, but when I use 3g for browsing it seems to chew through the battery pretty fast. Unfortunately, every update seems to eat up my battery faster for the first couple of days. Definitely something to keep an eye on though. A lot of times I worry that I am crazy, so it is good to see someone else seeing the same thing. Of course, we might both be crazy. :)

Upvote 0
I'm giving it a few days before I judge the battery life. Like you, my battery life seems to be noticeably less since the update. Sometimes it seems better, but when I use 3g for browsing it seems to chew through the battery pretty fast. Unfortunately, every update seems to eat up my battery faster for the first couple of days. Definitely something to keep an eye on though. A lot of times I worry that I am crazy, so it is good to see someone else seeing the same thing. Of course, we might both be crazy. :)
Crazy is better than nothing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones