1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Issues Updating Firmware from Android 2.1

1. shadegem

shadegem New Member

I purchased a used Samsung Vibrant a few months ago (IMEI checked, all good) and finally have gotten time in my schedule to update it and convert it to a phone I can use while travelling. I've registered it, rooted it, and unlocked it (all confirmed/double-checked). But my problem lies in updating the thing.

It currently is running Android 2.1. Because of this, there are several apps I can't run and several modifications I'd like to do that aren't applicable.

I've tried updating the firmware using Kies Mini, but even after 24hrs, reinstalling the program and drivers, and wiping and rebooting my phone, the program still has it as unregistered.

My ultimate goal is to get it on ICS. I was trying to update it to at least 2.3 so that it could, of course, run smoother, and I'd be able to apply the guides I've found online for updating it to ICS.

I've also attempting to reinstall using the ICS zip file that I placed on the phone's internal SD card. But when I boot into recovery mode, my choices are limited to:
    1) reboot system now
    2) reinstall packages
    3) Delete all user data
    4) Delete cache data

Option two does not work, stating that the file (/sdcard/update.zip) does not exist. I've tried relabeling the ICS file to "update.zip" and, when that didn't work, also relabeling the sdcard file from "sd" to "sdcard" on the assumption it may have been mislabeled. But I keep getting the same response.

If someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it. I admit, my knowledge on smartphone/android tech is fairly limited since I'm so new to it, but my comp knowledge isn't too bad. For now I'll continue trying to get Kies mini to work, and if it does I'll say so. But until then, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks~

Advertisement
    :