Issues Using A500 as a Hotspot/DHCP ServerSupport

1. CJonesDigilent

CJonesDigilent New Member

I have 3 devices that I am currently working with:
    ACER A500 with 4.0.3
    ACER A500 with 3.2.?
    HTC EVO3D with 2.3.4

What I want to do is use the Access Point (AP) functionality to setup the device as a DHCP server. I will connect to it from another wireless device.

I don't need tethering/data sharing. I only need the AP to work and assign IP addresses to the devices connecting to it.

So far, here is what I have:

With the HTC EVO3D I can setup the phone as a hotspot, set the SSID name it broadcasts, see a list of attached devices, set the EVO3D's IP address. In short, it works fine. The Android app I wrote sends data to the attached device as intended. The attached device needs to know the EVO's IP address in order to connect.

With the ACER A500 with 3.2.?, I am able to setup the tablet as a hotspot and broadcast an SSID of my choosing, but I am unable to know/change the IP address through the menu options. I suspect that this is something I may need to do in the Android app itself, but I am still wading through the references and forums trying to figure out how to preset the Socket's local IP.

With the ACER A500 with 4.0.3, I no longer even have a menu option from which to activate the tablet as a hotspot. The "Wireless & networks" menu that was available in 2.3 no longer has any options for AP settings.

I have all of the above listed devices working fine when I connect to them with the attached device through a router. I assign them static IP addresses and I can select one of the phones/tabs using switches on the attached device.

FYI: the 'attached device' I keep referring to is a Digilent Cerebot MX3cK with a PmodWIFI antenna. If you google any of that you can see what I am working with. The MX3cK has a PIC32MX320 processor and the PmodWIFI has a Microchip MRF24WB0MA wireless module. The IDE, called MPIDE, has complete libraries for using this peripheral module(Pmod).

What I need to know is:
    1. Is the ability to use a phone/tab as a hotspot an Android feature or a manufacturer's feature, i.e. device dependent?
    2. In a more general sense, should I try to do all the assigning of static IP in the Android app itself? In other words, to not rely on a manufacturer to allow this functionality but instead to make the functionality part of the Android app, i.e. device independent?
    3. Can I even make this functionality available with an Android app?
    4. Did the A500 lose this functionality for good when I upgraded it to ICS? Both tabs were Honeycomb to start out with, I upgraded the one to ICS.

I covered a lot here, thanks for any help!

Advertisement
    :