Issues with CM6 (new root user)

Last Updated:

1. SigmundDroid

SigmundDroid Member This Topic's Starter

So i just rooted my phone last night. I downloaded ROM Manager Premium and instantly backedup my functioning ROM. It had all my contacts and everything that my phone had pre-rooting.

I have heard great things about CM6 so I tried to DL it through ROM Manager, and everything installed great. Once I rebooted, I was unable to retrieve any of my contacts or apps because I could not sync my Gmail account or Facebook to restore any of my contacts/apps.

So I have a few questions that I bring to the much smarter posters on this board. Can I install ROMs successfully directly out of ROM Manager? How do I sync up my Gmail account on new ROMs? And lastly what ROM would people recommend out of the ROM Manager Premium section?

I will appreciate any help I can receive on this matter. Thanks guys!

Advertisement
  2. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

You can install roms directly out of rom manager. When downloading a source based rom (CM, Sapphire, etc.) you should be prompted to download something called Gapps, or google apps. That is required to access your google information such as contacts and gmail.

Do you recall if you selected this when you downloaded CM from rom manager?

SigmundDroid likes this.
  3. SigmundDroid

Much appreciated. I actually did not select to download those. So that fixed the problem.

Lastly how would I properly DL and install new kernals and themes out of ROM Manager? After this info I should be ready to go explore on my own.

4. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

This is the kernel I use and love it, best battery life I've had.

Froyo Kernels by slayher - CyanogenMod Forum

Download the kernel you want and put it on your sdcard. Using Rom Manager select "install rom from SDCARD" then select the kernel. While it isn't a rom RomManager will install it just fine. Make sure you select the option to make a backup before hand incase this kernel isn't for you.

5. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

One more piece of advice, download more than 1 kernel onto your SD card. If a kernel does not work, it will cause your phone to bootloop (constantly rebooting, never getting farther than the

SigmundDroid likes this.
  6. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

^ great advice

7. SigmundDroid

thanks guys...and one more question what is tunneling?