Issues with data and snyc?

Last Updated:

1. 72g

72g Member This Topic's Starter

if one were to turn off all background data, sync, and gps will this effect how the phone should receive text messages? it has been a huge battery saver. i want to just turn on as needed, but i am not sure i will get all text, missed call, or voice messages. what are your thoughts. thanks

Advertisement
  2. 72g

Anyone??

3. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

GPS and SYNC will NOT effect calls and texts. not sure what background data effects. i only ever turn GPS on if i am using it, and i usually have sync on during awake hours. My phone lasts pretty much all day, as long as im not web surfing a lot. that seems to kill the battery a lot.

im curious as to what the BACKGROUND data turned off/on difference is...

4. ceruti82

after thinking about it, with the background sync off, you cant use the market, (which will save battery by screen usage, downloading, searching, etc).. You wont get instant emails (saving the battery by not using screen battery by checking each new email, which screen battery is always at the top of my battery usage list) ... so the battery would be saved in that way.. because the phone isnt being used as much.. so its not exactly an apples to apples situation..

if you use more of the phones options, you use more screen, using more battery.... BUT if you use less of the phones options, you use less battery, it'd basically be a dumbphone, receiving calls and texts, and thats it...

so the real question is~ do you want to check out the market and get instant emails, or do you not really care about visiting the market all day, and just check emails when you have a moment to check them..

thats my .02 .. :)

5. 72g

for the most part i need the phone to be a phone, to talk 1st and send/receive texts as it should. i can turn the other stuff on and off as needed.

my main concern is, will my texts and voice messages come in a timely manner if background data is turned off. i had a text that was 6 hrs late the other day and was not sure if the data off had anything to do with it.

i only need to look at the net or emails at certain points during the day and dont mind turning off battery killers after each use.

6. ceruti82

i tested it out all day yesterday~ background data and sync off. i was still receiving calls texts, no problem.
    i must say though, i didnt notice any difference of battery life saved. it still was down low at the end of the day. and just before bed it was at the yellow line, saying "charge your battery".. just as it is every day.
    HTH

7. cunni1jb

cunni1jb New Member

I have a new laptop with windows 8 and latest version of HTC sync. I get it to connect and start the sync, but after a few minutes, its doing nothing. THEN it crashes and I have to start the process over. Any suggestions?

8. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Welcome to Android Forums.

What phone are you using (something like HTC xxxxx on Sprint). With that information I will gladly move forum that has the most information about it.

... Thom