• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Issues with Market

Honestly this is my one reoccurring problem with Froyo regardless of the version, rom, etc. I'm running. The market sucks. It hangs all the time and takes an abnormal amount of time to load.

Clearing the data, every once and a while helps somewhat but it is far from a solution.

Upvote 0
Try setting your Plugins to "on demand only" in your browser settings. I noticed that Java was really slowing down my browsing in general. It kind of sucks since if you do set it that way anytime you want to see something in java you have to tap the screen but it does help a little with download times. Might work might not but worth a try.

Upvote 0
Try setting your Plugins to "on demand only" in your browser settings. I noticed that Java was really slowing down my browsing in general. It kind of sucks since if you do set it that way anytime you want to see something in java you have to tap the screen but it does help a little with download times. Might work might not but worth a try.

droids load java?

Upvote 0
Android is based on Java and all apps are created with Java.

On another note, I know that Google has stated that they are working on improving the market. this may be the cause of some of these issues.

Kratos
i've been trying like mad to be able to load the emulator for my work on my droid and when i called the company line they said because it could not load java correctly ... so maybe this is possible after all then

any ideas on how to check it out Kratos?

These are the system requirements it gives me
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 with JVM Build 3167 or greater
JRE Version 1.4.x
Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac OS

I figured there would be a work around for IE to get it to load

Upvote 0
i've been trying like mad to be able to load the emulator for my work on my droid and when i called the company line they said because it could not load java correctly ... so maybe this is possible after all then

any ideas on how to check it out Kratos?

These are the system requirements it gives me
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.1 with JVM Build 3167 or greater
JRE Version 1.4.x
Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac OS

I figured there would be a work around for IE to get it to load

I sounds like your emulator is web based? If so, try using Dolphin Browser and changing the user agent to Desktop. Also, do you know if your company requires any VPN's or "third party programs" in order to run the emulator (other than Java)? For example, my company uses Citrix to access programs and it requires the Citrix server to be installed on my system. Without the server, I am unable to run the virtual programs. The Citrix server is not able to be installed or run on Android (or any mobile environment) because of the way it is coded.

Other than that, I don't know of any browsers that are able to mock IE in android. Maybe someone else who reads this thread would have a better idea.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I sounds like your emulator is web based? If so, try using Dolphin Browser and changing the user agent to Desktop. Also, do you know if your company requires any VPN's or "third party programs" in order to run the emulator (other than Java)? For example, my company uses Citrix to access programs and it requires the Citrix server to be installed on my system. Without the server, I am unable to run the virtual programs. The Citrix server is not able to be installed or run on Android (or any mobile environment) because of the way it is coded.

Other than that, I don't know of any browsers that are able to mock IE in android. Maybe someone else who reads this thread would have a better idea.

Kratos

i tried with dolphin. I don't believe it loads any third party programs to run it. I brought up dolphin, switched user agent to PC and typed in the URL. This is the message it gave me

"a java virtual machine is required to use webconnect applets"

any ideas?

Upvote 0
And to expound, Kratos please correct me if I'm wrong, the market tho set as an app is still web based. so even though it doesn't open in a browser it still opperates as a browser (sort of, I really can't explain it succinctly here). So yes, when you open the market your phone is going to check to see if there is any java scripts that need to be run, wether they are in the 10.1 architecture or not.

Upvote 0
i tried with dolphin. I don't believe it loads any third party programs to run it. I brought up dolphin, switched user agent to PC and typed in the URL. This is the message it gave me

"a java virtual machine is required to use webconnect applets"

any ideas?

As far as I know, that requires the Java Runtime for PC's. Basically, it is opening a stand-alone Java program on your computer. This is not possible with Android, again as far as I know.

And to expound, Kratos please correct me if I'm wrong, the market tho set as an app is still web based. so even though it doesn't open in a browser it still opperates as a browser (sort of, I really can't explain it succinctly here). So yes, when you open the market your phone is going to check to see if there is any java scripts that need to be run, wether they are in the 10.1 architecture or not.

The market is web-based and therefore the market app is connecting to a Google server. It then displays the apps in a touch friendly view. I'm not sure if it is running Java scripts other than the app and Android scripts that are run to deploy the app.

Kratos

Upvote 0
As far as I know, that requires the Java Runtime for PC's. Basically, it is opening a stand-alone Java program on your computer. This is not possible with Android, again as far as I know.

Kratos
that must have been what tech support was trying to tell me. I REALLLLY wish there was a way to get it to work :(

btw .. do you play halo online kratos? I was on last night and a guy named BigKratos whooped my ars!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones