• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help issues with memory

sparkymarky

Lurker
Mar 15, 2010
Hi I have a samsung galaxy portal and I am having issues with NPC and KIES not find my phone all I want to know is. How do i move the applications I downloaded of Android market on to my sd card as my phone memory is very low I have a 4gb memory card which is doing nothing. I cant seem to be able to do in the setting of the phone. PLEASE HELP

hi I have a good few installed but acording to the manual you should be able to. Has any body got any news when KIES and NPC will work. Thanks
Really? My manual doesn't mention it, which network did you get the Spica on? Regardless, you definitely can't do it without rooting your phone. Google have suggested they will implement it in the future, but they (apparently) have security concerns at the moment.

There's no word from Samsung on a working version of Kies yet, but they're most likely to release one at the same time as the 2.1 update, so sometime in April is the current time-frame. However, even with a working version of Kies, you wouldn't be able to install apps on the sdcard, that's entirely up to Google.

Upvote 0
Well, it is possible to install/move apps to the SD card, but it requires a bit of fiddling.
You'll need to "root" your phone, and partition the SD card so Android can install aps their.

The next question your going to ask is "How do you root your phone?"

Suffice to say, it's as I said, it' fiddley.

Here's a guide to show you what I'm talking about.

APS to SD Tutorial

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though. Installing APS on the SD card is due to be included in a later release of Android. Although not 2.2 I believe.

@Sparkymarky.
When you connect your phone to your PC, from your phone, do you mount the SD card?

i.e. Menu/Notifications, press USB connected, and choose Mount. You should see the SD card as an exteral USB drive.

NPC is still a bit crappy at the moment. If you wish to use NPC,
Menu/Settings/Applications/Development/
and enable USB Debugging.
Now NPC should see your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones