issues with memorySupport

Last Updated:

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi I have a samsung galaxy portal and I am having issues with NPC and KIES not find my phone all I want to know is. How do i move the applications I downloaded of Android market on to my sd card as my phone memory is very low I have a 4gb memory card which is doing nothing. I cant seem to be able to do in the setting of the phone. PLEASE HELP

Advertisement
  2. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

NPC and Kies don't work with Android phones (not yet anyway). You can't. At least, you can't do it without rooting your phone.

How low is your memory? I have over 100 apps installed (some of them fairly big), and I still have 20MB free

3. sparkymarky

hi I have a good few installed but acording to the manual you should be able to. Has any body got any news when KIES and NPC will work. Thanks

4. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

Really? My manual doesn't mention it, which network did you get the Spica on? Regardless, you definitely can't do it without rooting your phone. Google have suggested they will implement it in the future, but they (apparently) have security concerns at the moment.

There's no word from Samsung on a working version of Kies yet, but they're most likely to release one at the same time as the 2.1 update, so sometime in April is the current time-frame. However, even with a working version of Kies, you wouldn't be able to install apps on the sdcard, that's entirely up to Google.

5. sparkymarky

HI yes on page 30 of you the manual it sates that you need to link to pc to move apps from phone memory to the sd card.

6. Srijith

Srijith Member

Hi,

Even i am looking for the same info. How to install applications on the sd card instead of using the default internal memory. Is there any way to move the installed applications to sd memory card??

I am using samsung galaxy spica!

Cheers,
    Srijith

7. susu

susu New Member

also lookin 4 that.kies nd other dont work, spica

8. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

Well, it is possible to install/move apps to the SD card, but it requires a bit of fiddling.
    You'll need to "root" your phone, and partition the SD card so Android can install aps their.

The next question your going to ask is "How do you root your phone?"

Suffice to say, it's as I said, it' fiddley.

Here's a guide to show you what I'm talking about.

APS to SD Tutorial

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though. Installing APS on the SD card is due to be included in a later release of Android. Although not 2.2 I believe.

@Sparkymarky.
    When you connect your phone to your PC, from your phone, do you mount the SD card?

i.e. Menu/Notifications, press USB connected, and choose Mount. You should see the SD card as an exteral USB drive.

NPC is still a bit crappy at the moment. If you wish to use NPC,
    Menu/Settings/Applications/Development/
    and enable USB Debugging.
    Now NPC should see your phone.