Issues with Nexus One cases (flash and docks)-Considering going naked. Please advice

What should I do regarding docks/cases?

1. Keep case and use non-Nexus dock that fits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Use Nexus without case with standard Nexus docks

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Remove the case before putting it to dock

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Other (please post)

1 vote(s)
    20.0%

Last Updated:

1. vitalyb

vitalyb Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought the [​IMG]Smoke Check Crystal Skin Gel from ebay and I while I found it durable (and CHEAP) I have 2 issues with it:

1) When taking pictures with flash, with the case on, I have a really horrible flare:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34935/2010-05-29 22.16.07.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34935/2010-05-30 10.19.36.jpg

needless to say that without the case, the flash and the picture works fine.

2) I find it very annoying to take the android out of its case to put it into a car/table dock.

Now I'm aware that the case that I got is very cheap, which might explain the flash issue and I considered changing it. However, the general consensus on this site and elsewhere that there is no case that fits the official docks. Things brings me to 2 options:

1) Use non-Nexus dock in car which can fit any phone. It works fine, but I'll be making it harder for myself both to charge it (even though I do have miniusb charger in car that I could use) and use it speakerphone. Same with table docking stations, I guess I could find one that fits less snuggly. In this case, I am not even sure I'd lose much.

2) Just don't use any kind of case. I don't mind scratches on the phone itself (I keep it alone it the pocket, and frankly, a gadget whose maximum lifespan of 3 years, I don't worry much about scratches). However, I AM afraid for the screen. A friend of mine had his screen broken after a relatively short fall to the ground - he tried to put nexus into his pocket and missed, so it was about 1m fall to the floor.

Is the screen as fragile as demonstrated by my friend? Would a case help me out in this case? I'd be happy for any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

P.S I've also added a poll, please vote and help me choose.

Advertisement
  2. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

I use my Nexus One without a case or a screen protector, but I am always hesitant to pass that out as advice. I prefer this for aesthetic reasons, and you do have to be more careful.

If you are going to go that route, do *not* use your pocket. It is very easy for abrasive foreign objects to get in your pocket and if you misjudge depth an object (desk)is more likely to hit mid thigh than anywhere else.

I carry my Nexus One in a horizontal belt case-- heehee, plenty of padding around my waist to protect it. I never ley myself be in a hurry to pull it out or put it away. I also did this with my Nokia 5800 for a year. It is a risk, but one I've decided I'm willing to take for the pleasure of handling the device this way. And I won't whine if I ever miscalculate.

vitalyb likes this.
  3. the co0kie

the co0kie Well-Known Member

i use my nexus one with the case mate tough case... i would just take the case off when you dock it... i only use my case when im out.... when im hope i dont use it