issues with sms backup and backup to gmail

Last Updated: 2011-05-12 15:47:56
  1. moveright

moveright Well-Known Member

I downloaded "sms backup" the free app, to backup my texts to gmail. it worked but it does not back them up in the correct sequence, i.e. the conversations are out of order.

So, I figured, maybe that was just a downside to a free app, so I paid the $1.99 and downloaded "backup to gmail" which appears to be an identical app. Same problem.

Are there any sms backup apps out there that will backup my sms messages to gmail in the correct order timestamp and reply wise?

Advertisement
  2. moveright

no thoughts?
  3. AndroidSocialMedia

AndroidSocialMedia Active Member

I wondered this too for awhile but I never found anything. It doesn't really bug me so I keep using SMS Backup on my Android.
  4. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

5. moveright

Well I figured out what the problem is. Now all I need is for someone to solve it lol. Oh, and I don't care about really "backing up" my sms messages, I was just using this as a way to get entire conversation threads in the correct order to my gmail so I could print them out (don't ask).

Anyhow, after extremely close examination, I discovered that there is a 5 hour timestamp mismatch once the conversation thread hits gmail. The problem is consistent ONLY with messages TO me. The messages FROM me are correct. so, for example, I text someone at 6pm and say "hi", then they text me back immediately, once this conversation is sent to gmail by the backup app(either one of the two I mentioned in the OP btw), my message timestamp says 6pm and their message is marked 1pm. Only in gmail though. If I look at my conversation on the phone, the time's are correct.

I went into gmail global settings and made certain my timezone was correct but from here I don't know how to solve this. The fact that either app causes this to happen really puzzles me. I am in contact with the developer from "backup to gmail", the paid app, and they are pretty stumped as well.:confused:
  6. carpe

carpe Member

Does that app actually restore the texts as well? And does it restore them with the proper dates?
  7. akazabam

Yes, to both questions.
  8. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm using SMS Backup+ by Jan Berkel (free) - not seen that issue with this one (there are a few similarly named apps on the market).
    Works very well for me, and now handles MMS and backing up the Call Log to Gmail and my calendar as well.
    CPUJediX and SpikedKnight like this.
  9. moveright

found a little app in market called "sms time fix". seems to be working. I'll keep an eye on it.
  10. ToxMox

ToxMox Member

Ditto. Using SMS Backup+ which is an updated and better version of the original SMS Backup.
  11. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

SMS backup n2manager works for me, and it seems like it restores it in the right order. It doesn't send a log to GMail, just saves a file on my sd card to restore
  12. lilerica521

lilerica521 New Member

I have been having the same problem where my g-mail time stamp is 5 hours behind. Has anybody found any fixes for this?

Thanks.
  13. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

5 hours sounds suspiciously like a time zone difference to me does your gmail account time zone match your phone?
  14. lilerica521

lilerica521 New Member

Yes, i have checked time zones and everything. Only the received messages are 5 hours behind. Everything else is correct. This only started happening Mid-November.
  15. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

I used SMS backup to go from droid 1 to droid 2, it got all the messages, but it has them all on the same date, today.
  16. akazabam

That definitely doesn't sound right. Just to make sure I didn't give bad information, I checked on mine (on which I recently restored all of my sms messages this way) and the dates are correct. Maybe the droid(s) store them differently? Did you specifically use the app I linked to above?
  17. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

yes. that is the one i have been using. I will try it again. wierd thing is that I used it no problem when i had a d1 crap out and got another one, but when i got this new d2, no go on the date issue. the messages were there, just the time/date all being the same (the time of the import).
  18. akazabam

Maybe it doesn't like importing between different phones (or types of phones). That still doesn't make much sense, though.
  19. gegann

gegann New Member

I've had a problem with SMS Backup and SMS Backup+ on my Droid 2 global. It's not backing up "all" the text. It gets all of what I say, but not all of what the sender says...I also have the timestamp issue. Anyone know anything about this?
  20. CPUJediX

CPUJediX New Member

SMS Backup+ by Jan Berkel was the only one I used that imported with the original timestamp instead of the date/time of import. Though I did see the issue with the timestamps being off! I haven't finished backing up the thousands of messages I have, but I need to finish then delete (so I can start using SMS again!) before I can say for sure if it's just DST or is it off by hours! Of course I did just change the timezone in gmail before starting the backup.