Issues with Swype and Handcent

Last Updated:

1. sonmica

sonmica Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I installed swype the last time they opened up beta registrations (around ~june 16 - maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago)

I didn't have any issues with it at all, managed to install fine and worked with all of my apps.

Then I installed Handcent a couple of weeks ago, and it worked fine for a while too (also worked fine with Swype).

And then I started to get a lot of FC's when I would go back to my homescreen (I am running SenseUI), and sometimes it would just show the HTC logo and takes a minute or two to load up the homescreen interface. I sort of pegged it down to handcent since that was the last major install I made on the phone.

And now lately, in the last few days or so, I've found that when I'm writing text with Swype (not only in Handcent, sometimes in other apps), the whole thing would just freeze. I can't enter or edit text. I found changing input method back to the stock keyboard would kind of work, but I would still need to close out of whatever app i was in and go to the homescreen (at this point the touchscreen isn't being responsive, thank goodness for those physical buttons). Then I would need to wait for the UI to stabilize, then go back into the app and try again with the stock keyboard.

Just wondering if anyone else has had these kind of issues as well? And if so, did you manage to fix it? I'm considering letting Swype know about this, as part of the testing process, but am a little reluctant to pegging it down to just these two apps, since this is all mainly speculation on my part.

Advertisement
  2. stueyboy

stueyboy Well-Known Member

I'm using both of these apps installed around the same time as you and I don't have the issues you describe. Could be these apps or could be something completely unrelated.

3. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Ditto what stueyboy said no problems at all

4. Saint2710

Saint2710 Well-Known Member

I'm using both, no issues whatsoever.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Try reinstalling swype, or should I say uninstall then install

6. zoidy84

zoidy84 Well-Known Member

i'm using both too and dont experience any issues, but one of my iPhone friends says the texts he gets from me are all messed up ... none of my other friends report that though!

7. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Not sure if this helps much but I am getting the HTC logo and reload of sense. With me it seems to be related to when I set Advanced Task Killer to auto kill on a schedule... Doesnt happen every time and i dont get any of your other problems.

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Aha, task killer, forgot to ask this question! Are you using one?

Nacatomi, You are probably killing something important like your calendar (or sense itself, I hope not!). Set it to ignore and no need to thank me! ;)

9. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Sorry for the hijack...

Not sure.. Have set it to auto kill in safe mode cant seem to add Sense to the ignore list.. But I might end up uninstalling anyway as my battery seems to have settled down and can easily get a day out it now :D

10. sonmica

sonmica Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ooh, replies, thanks!

No, I'm not using a task killer. I have just reinstalled swype in the hopes that i won't get those problems appearing again. Will dig this thread up if it starts crashing again!