• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It finally happened...

First of all, for those implying that rooting is that cause of this problem... I had the silent bug before i rooted my eris. And many here have it also who are not rooted.
But i do understand that my phone is in fact altered. and that's why I was considering just getting a different phone and not even making as issue out of this. Because I know they will just say the phone is the problem.

It was never my intention to make a huge deal about this, like a lawsuit or anything like that. But this problem made me realize how big of a problem this really is. I can't even imagine being in a situation where I need to call 911... no one else around, and I have to reboot my phone.

I do plan on talking to someone at Verizon about this (didn't get a chance to today), but i dont have my hopes too high about something actually being done about this. I just hope that something is already being done, since it's a known issue, before something worse really happens

Upvote 0
Never, ever dial 911 unless it is to report an emergency. :mad:

Exactly this.

Sorry it happened. I got my replacement ERIS 2 weeks after the OTA created the silent issue & haven't had the problem since. I only deal with one of the local corporate stores that provide our company's business phones. They seem to be very customer oriented & ensure that I'm leaving happy when I talk to them.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
wow that is pathetic. im actually on my 4th eris. unfortunately for me it works. i wanted it to fail so i could demand a new phone. tech guy guaranteed me it would work, so i was expecting a droid at worst. oh well
I read somewhere that Verizon is getting rid of that policy. You must have the EXACT same problem 4 consecutive times with the same phone before you can get a different phone outside of your upgrade time.

Upvote 0
Well said Frisco. Calling 911 purposely in a non-emergency is actually a crime. As another aside I got a replacement phone today because my screen died. The specs as far as Release/Software/Kernel/Build/etc. were identical to the Leak v3 I had on the original phone.

Ok get this. I needed to call the police for a non emergency reason one time. Just something suspicious I saw that was probably nothing.

It took me 20 minutes to find the number to the station and after the phone ringing like 20 times, someone finally answered and said he couldn't help me, and wanted to know why didn't I just call 911?

And I said "Because it wasn't an emergency!" And he said "Well, you still need to call 911, I can't help you"

Nice...

Upvote 0
Ok get this. I needed to call the police for a non emergency reason one time. Just something suspicious I saw that was probably nothing.

It took me 20 minutes to find the number to the station and after the phone ringing like 20 times, someone finally answered and said he couldn't help me, and wanted to know why didn't I just call 911?

And I said "Because it wasn't an emergency!" And he said "Well, you still need to call 911, I can't help you"

Nice...
A++ police department. Would call again.

Upvote 0
Nearly all jurisdictions ask that you call 911 when you need to contact the police whether the situation is an emergency or if you want to report something such as suspicious behavior or any event in which you believe that the police should investigate. You no longer have Barney Fife sitting behind a desk, at the police station, answering the telephone. 911 calls go to the dispatcher who dispatches police. If you call a non-emergency, they will have to call the dispatch center or ask you to do so, in order for an officer to be properly dispatched. This actually makes the system work more efficiently, so that if there is an emergency, the proper number of officers, ems, fire, etc, can be dispatched.

For those who disagree with me about making a test call to 911, we will have to agree to disagree. I believe that it is prudent that Cableguy make the call, because he NEEDS to know whether he happened to be out of a service area, or if there was a one-time glitch. He NEEDS to know that his phone will work for him should a true emergency arise. A quick call to dispatch, stating that you are a non-emergency and quickly explaining what happened, and they will understand. Prank calls to 911 are against the law. NOT calling to confirm at legitimate problem with reaching 911.

hrbib...they died. More lives are saved because of advances in technology. Look at stats...

Upvote 0
Just curious - when folks experience this "silent bug" (it's never happened to me once, but I don't make/receive that many calls per month), is it silent in both directions? Does it occur more/less frequently depending on whether the call is inbound vs. outbound?

The reason I ask is that I have had "silent calls" on every cell phone I've owned...

eu1

I was going to ask the same thing. I've never experienced a silent call on my Eris. but have often on other phones, especially Verizon. How do we know it's not just a service issue, some combination of problems related to the network?

Upvote 0
I wonder what people did in 1971, the year I was born, when stumbling upon a car accident.

I was born long before that.

Coming upon a collision or car off the road, you'd stop to render what aid you could, flag down another vehicle and tell them to go for help ("help" usually meant to a telephone booth to call the operator, a simple dialing of "0," who would contact police).

The idea then was that citizens took care of one another as best they could until professional help arrived at the scene.

Upvote 0
Peter and Frisco left 'party line' out of the antique technology list - something we had for a couple of years when I was growing up.

Cableguy's story actually ended differently (and better) than I thought it was going to. I was sure we were headed for some variation of "I was messing with my phone while driving, the car ahead of me stopped and I didn't..." :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to hear some of the guesses of what a "party line" was, from people in their teens and twenties. ;)

No Googleling allowed! :p

Oh! oh!....I've read/heard (hehe) that a party line was and arrangement which a person or persons had to share one line/service with a number other families in a locale (as an example). If you needed to use the phone in your house, you'd pick it up and if someone from one of the other "parties" was on the line, you'd politely ask them to hang up so you can place a call (or eavesdrop). And every "party" had a different ring "pattern". As a side note, I was born not long after that.....;)

Upvote 0
Oh! oh!....I've read/heard (hehe) that a party line was and arrangement which a person or persons had to share one line/service with a number other families in a locale (as an example). If you needed to use the phone in your house, you'd pick it up and if someone from one of the other "parties" was on the line, you'd politely ask them to hang up so you can place a call (or eavesdrop). And every "party" had a different ring "pattern". As a side note, I was born not long after that.....;)

Yes bishop you are close.
Where I came from it was called as "twin line". Sometimes when you picked up the phone there was no signal (tone) - that's how you know the other guy was on the phone. Sometimes you could faintly hear the guy talking. But as I remember, if you tried to to talk, interrupt the "twin" they never heard you no matter how loud you yelled.
I guess there must have been some kind of filters on the twin/party lines to be able to address two addresses on the same wire. Something line the DSL uses to separate voice from data.

It was a source of great frustruation - sometimes the twin hogged the line for hours and because you did not know how actually your "twin" was you could not complain to him/her.
Peter

Upvote 0
Actually, I think there might have been a difference between a twin line (which I've never heard of) and a party line. The partly line we were on worked just like Bishop described. There were four houses on our line, if anyone was using the line you could clearly hear, and join if you wanted to, the conversation. They worked just like having an extension in the house does now. All four houses rang on an incoming call, and you had to know your ring pattern to know if it was for your house.

Upvote 0
Actually, I think there might have been a difference between a twin line (which I've never heard of) and a party line. The partly line we were on worked just like Bishop described. There were four houses on our line, if anyone was using the line you could clearly hear, and join if you wanted to, the conversation. They worked just like having an extension in the house does now. All four houses rang on an incoming call, and you had to know your ring pattern to know if it was for your house.

Yes you are right. The twin lines had different phone numbers.
Peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones