It is possible to take screenshots w/stock Evo 3D running Android 2.3.4 (yes now possible)Support

1. djk80

djk80 Member

Hey guys,

In case nobody knew you can take screenshots with your htc evo 3d unrooted

I have a stock phone from rogers

If you press the power button down slightly (not all the way that it turns off) and then press the "home" button. You will hear a sound of a picture being taken and a message on your screen "screenshot captured"

The images then go into your gallery. Just an fyi as no other 3rd party apps are needed

Advertisement
  2. TxFig

TxFig Active Member

I haven't tried it on mine (yet), but a buddy who has had the phone for 3 weeks told me about this feature. I would guess that it's true.
  3. ogwilson

ogwilson Well-Known Member

Tried it. Doesn't work on Sprint 3D.
  4. djk80

djk80 Member

It is not a troll post !!! I actually did it by accident on my phone...then I researched online and there was next to zero info......but then someone mentioned just pressing down the power key so it still goes in and presses (however doesn't turn off) then by pressing the home screen.

It takes a screenshot then says that it took a screenshot

I've even uploaded my pictures on facebook already to show my friends my new phone. Trust me it works not sure if its just the Rogers Evo 3D or what but you would think it would work on all the HTC EVO 3D's

Heres the screenshot I took:
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...40330451_100001486400813_550558_4448783_n.jpg

I know its not any proof but unfortunately I dont have a way of taking a screenshot of myself taking a screenshot.....If you guys really want I can use my roommate's phone to record the process
  5. shiggity

shiggity Active Member

I just don't see a way for you to press down on the power button without it either: 1) locking or 2) go to the power down options menu.
  6. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to me that they'd make an exception for Rogers (I'm guessing that is a Carrier in Canada or something???) but no other EVO's could do it. I've tried every which way I can think of just to make sure others don't sit there trying and still not working. It'd be great if this works and if it truly is legit then great. But as of now, my view is nay.
  7. gonk24

gonk24 Active Member

Why is taking a screenshot something that Android doesn't natively do anyway? Seems like a basic function to me. webOS can do it and I used it a lot. Missing the feature on my 3D
    Wiley_11 and CarrieK like this.
  8. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

As much as I love this phone and Android I have to agree. I am rooted so this isn't an issue at the moment but you shouldn't have to root to do this.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
  9. Wiley_11

Wiley_11 Well-Known Member

So far I've "only" found three things on this phone I don't care for. A lack of dimming capability on the capacitive buttons,notification LED lasting 10 minutes or less,no screen capture. I hope an OTA update will fix these issues. HTC can you hear me now? :p
    CarrieK likes this.
  10. isaemm

isaemm Well-Known Member

Well I've been trying to do it and cant get it to work. It just keeps going to sleep. Maybe I dont have the right touch.
  11. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

In the screen capture..

The signal bars are not the same as mine from the looks. The Picture has 4 bars, while the Sprint 3D has 6. Is it just a Carrier thing, or is this in fact, a bogus screen shot.
  12. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing upon first inspection. I restate my previous comment, I smell troll.
    nvr4g3t likes this.
  13. shiggity

shiggity Active Member

Yeah, it's definitely a troll post.
    nvr4g3t likes this.
  14. CarrieK

OP offered to have his room mate take a video of him doing it if we wanted so I'm taking him up on it.
  15. CarrieK

Lol I'll bet this guy is laughing his butt off at us but I tried slightly pressing the power button and pressing the home key and got a list of recent apps. Any of you others who tried this get the same thing? And no, you guys know me... I'm not a troll!
  16. OhioCalling

OhioCalling Member

I can also get the recent apps to show using this procedure but no Screenshot.
    CarrieK likes this.
  17. jojkos

jojkos New Member

lol i just tried it like someone said before (hold down power+home) and it really did it :D cant believe it and i dont really understand why there is no mention about it anywhere so everyone could know it
    edit:it seems it works only at EU and some USA versions
  18. RTWODTWO

RTWODTWO Member

And we're gonna believe your first post ever? Nice try.
  19. jojkos

jojkos New Member

20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

So - please aware that the Rogers phone is running 2.3.4 as well as some other changes.

Maybe it's best to not call people trolls until we can correlate all of the facts involved.

The EU only there means European only.

It also means that we have a rather limited view of the planet, doesn't it? Canada typically gets what we call European models. ;)

Embarrassing that no matter how often the OP stated that he was in Europe, and posted that his software config was different than ours, he got his butt flamed off.

Kinda embarrassing.

So - unless you have the GSM 3D, please refrain from name calling here, cheers, thanks.
    ocnbrze, novox77 and marctronixx like this.
  21. EarlyMon

By the way - screenshots requiring root came along with Froyo for virtually all phones. Some of the Samsungs somehow didn't have the issue for the while, but I'd read that that varied by model and each model's update history.

So - that's Android, not just HTC.

If you're connected to a PC (or Mac) via USB, taking screenshots is a breeze.

How to take screenshots of your Android based phone from Windows – Simple Help

No root required.
    marctronixx and CarrieK like this.
  22. CarrieK

Redface here. I apologize.
  23. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

this thread is kind of misleading insomuch that you can only take a screen shot of the home screen on the EU model. however what about ANY other screen?

i mean with this "tip" can you take a screen shot of, say, a video playing on the device? how about a screen grab of your video folder list?

shootme would allow you to take a shot of any screen anywhere on the device , not just the one home screen (when it worked on the evo 4G for example).

what say ye?
    EarlyMon likes this.
  24. EarlyMon

More and more, we're going to be needing a GSM version of this forum...
  25. CarrieK

That is a great question. Out of sheer curiosity (since ours won't do it) I'd like to know.