It reboots when unlocking !Support

1. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

Hey everyone !

My Desire has been dropped, thrown, bent and everything imaginable in the three years I've had it, and on top of everything some items have been burnt into the screen, such as the keyboard and the notification bar.
    However, recently It's been starting to reboot when I press the power button to unlock it. It's as if it unlocks into darkness and then simply reboots. I did a factory reset, since I thought the reason might've been my inbox of 40.000 messages, but to no avail. It still reboots every now and then when I try to unlock it. Is it finally dying ? Is this my calling to get a new phone ?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Ummm, I was thinking is the power button sticking, but that would be a shut down instead of a reboot.

The way I see it, if a Factory Reset doesn't fix it, it's hardware.
    donnie likes this.
  3. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

Yeah I toyed with that idea initially, but as the power-off selection menu didn't show up, I figured that couldn't be the case.
    Though, on a curiously related note, this started to happen right after the power button got stuck at one point (but I managed to fix that).

Seems like a logical conclusion. If it's a physical circuit-board damage, maybe I can find a way to fix it. Or just buy a new phone.
    That'll be sad though, since we've been through fire and rain together - literally.
  4. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it really can't be stuck, like you said, not power menu appears. It wouldn't turn on if it was stuck down either, would it, because you can't actually press the power button.

I'm actually a little stuck for ideas.
  5. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Could be early signs of the CPU overheating if it was one of the early desires. From Off hold down volume while pressing Power. It will bring you to a white screen with text.

Somewhere on there will be a PVT- number. The PVT-1 models were prone to CPU overheating.
    donnie likes this.
  6. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

Oh I never knew this. I bought from the first stock, so yes it's a PVT1 :(
    It does smell a bit like warm electric components in the battery area.
    Is rebooting like this a conventional sign ?
  7. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Yes rebooting can be a sign of overheating. When you press the power button to unlock the phone wakes & the CPU will suddenly start to work harder. When it works hard it gets hotter.

When mine went it started behaving erratically when I used the GPS which again will ramp up the CPU. Eventually mine wouldn't boot at all.

It may not be the CPU but I suggest you back up everything you can just in case.
    donnie likes this.
  8. donnie

donnie Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads-up and advice :)
    nicka3200 likes this.