It says my DROID is connected to a car dock, but it isn't...Support

Last Updated:

1. yerfdog2314

yerfdog2314 Member This Topic's Starter

OK so I was at my friends house and I put my phone on the table and it said it was connected to a multimedia dock, so I picked it up to check it out, and it apparently disconnected. So I put it down and it said it was connected to a car dock. Again it disconnected when I picked it up. I put it down on my right side instead of the left and nothing happened. I tried putting it down on random areas and nothing happened. So I put it back down in the same spot and it said it was connected to a car dock AND a multimedia dock at the same time, which I don't think is possible (I'm assuming they both use the USB). But the really weird thing is, when I pulled the paper out from underneath the phone, and put it down nothing happened. So I put the paper back and it did it again. I tried putting it on the paper in other spots but it didn't do anything. I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on with my phone?

Advertisement
  2. Paul1201

Paul1201 Well-Known Member

There was a magnet near where you placed your phone. The Droid uses a magnetic sensor to go into the different docking modes.

3. yerfdog2314

That's what I thought, but I checked it and there was no magnet. And also, why would removing a piece of paper make and difference?

4. Paul1201

Paul1201 Well-Known Member

Now you really have me.

5. yerfdog2314

That's what really confused me too. Like I thought it was a magnet or something, but I checked under the table and everything and there was nothing, just wood. And the paper thing threw me off completely. But it hasn't happened again since so hopefully it's ok.

6. Beergnome

Beergnome Member

what type of paper? magnetic ink perhaps?

paper currency uses magnetic ink... that's how vending machines "know" what yer sticking into them.

was it a stack of laser printer print outs? could've been some lingering electrostatic.. stuff on there messing with the hall effect sensor?

7. kigs

kigs Member

I carry a blackberry in a pouch (magnetic pouch) along with my Droid. Whenever the two are in the same pocket, the droid always says connected to the multimedia station

8. natbug

natbug New Member

turn off your droid, take out the battery, wait 5 seconds, put the battery back in, turn droid on. That should take care of the problem!

9. natbug

natbug New Member

turn off your droid, take out the battery, wait 5 seconds, put the battery back in, turn droid on. That should take care of the problem!

10. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Actually, it may not be a magnet but rather a magnetic field from, say a power wire underneath the table, and when the paper was placed in the right spot it was actually altering the EMF and caused this inexplicably weird behavior....

Either that or your friend was pulling a fast one on you.