• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's an insane request, but it's driving me nuts...

I'm big into electronics and I've never smelled anything like this before. It's ridiculous lol.

the smell originates (ie, is strongest) towards the top where all the chipsets are (I believe).

Maybe someone that worked on it in the factory was wearing strong perfume or cologne. Ive know people that have worn it so strong that it lingers on anything they touch.

But seriously, in my backgound in electronics, I am guessing its some of the components getting warm. Some electronic components have materials in them that smell kind of sweet and "perfumy" when they get warm. Especially thermal compounds, the goopy white/grey paiste they put on chips between the heat sinks. Does the smell get stronger when the phone gets warmer, like in a voice call or using it on WIFI for a while, or charging it?
I'd just check on it when you are charging it or after you have used it for a bit, maybe pop the back cover off and see if anything is getting abnormally warm.

Upvote 0
I've already tried charging it and that didn't matter. Trust me when I say I'm used to electronics getting warm. I've built several computers and I've ****ed with several electronics when they were on their last legs.

It's not lingering perfume or anything like that. And I never noticed the smell until I took the cover off.

God I wish you were all in the room with me so I could pass it to each of you so you'd go "goddamn that's ****ed up!" lol.

I was honestly hoping a couple people would jump in here and say they smell it too. Now I just feel very weird lol =P

Upvote 0
I'm the creator of this:

M4cne.jpg

as well as this:

aT4CF.jpg

=)

Upvote 0
Now that I'm sober I'm guessing "electro-static discharge"? If so, for which computer, and why would you say that?

Anyway, I have no idea why I drunkenly posted those pictures. I think it was to prove that I've been around electronics. Or something. I have no idea...

The cardboard box... box would have potential ESD problems becaues there is no grounded metal chasis for the components. All the guts could build up an electric charge and it wont get "drained" to ground since there is no grounded metal chasis its all connected too.

Secondly, your water cooled rig seems to be missing it RAM sticks :).

Pretty cool tho, im a computer modder too, ive build a few dozen rigs in my day varying from plain to insain, but i guess that would be a different forum ><

Upvote 0
The cardboard box... box would have potential ESD problems becaues there is no grounded metal chasis for the components. All the guts could build up an electric charge and it wont get "drained" to ground since there is no grounded metal chasis its all connected too.

Secondly, your water cooled rig seems to be missing it RAM sticks :).

Pretty cool tho, im a computer modder too, ive build a few dozen rigs in my day varying from plain to insain, but i guess that would be a different forum ><

That's absolutely ridiculous. All of it, actually.

1. So a computer in a plastic case is also at risk I guess? Or any case with rubber feet? Or any case sitting on a carpet? I guess my Captivate is also at risk of ESD because it sits on a table or my bed, or wherever instead of having direct contact with the ground.

The cardboard case worked fine. The only problem with it was the fire hazard risk. Otherwise it had zero problems to worry about.

2. The watercooled system had 2 sticks of ram in it. If you can't see it, it's purely by perspective. They're in there.

Upvote 0
While not exactly correct, actually Infinite-t has the general idea: using cardboard instead of a metal case can cause ESD issues. But mostly from the fact that it's easy to build up a huge electrostatic potential charge by rubbing against cardboard, and without the (grounded) metal case you have no way to dissipate this charge.

If you never actually touched the case, this might not be so much of an issue but the fact that it's hand-built and open counters that argument. If you didn't touch it, the biggest problem would be electromagnetic radiation causing radio interference with other devices. A metal chassis prevents this.

The Captivate's plastic case is not an issue because it's sealed so it's preventing you from touching the ESD-sensitive internal components, plus it needs to be plastic for the internal antennas to function (cellular, GPS and Bluetooth). However, if you look at a teardown you'll see that various parts have metal shielding to protect them from the EMR of other components.

The fact that your computer seemed to "work fine" means nothing. Do some research on the term "latent damage" in regards to ESD.

Some worthwhile reading:
An Introduction to ESD

50718_3a.jpg

50718_3a.jpg

50718_3b.jpg

fm_ftes_imgc.jpg

53009.jpg

fm_ftes_imgb.jpg

ESD_ball2.jpg

gal_comp_c2mos_1.jpg
gal_comp_c2mos_2.jpg

ElectroStatic-Discharge-ESD-Electrical-Overstress-EOS-damage.jpg

Upvote 0
Okay, I get what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm not an electrician and everything I learned about computers and making them work I learned on my own through trial and error and research. I read about grounding yourself before working inside a computer but I never did it. I've never shorted out a piece of equipment and I don't know anyone who has either. If I was working with a five thousand dollar video card then sure, I'd probably ground myself, but the risk, while real and existing, seems very minimal.

Anyway it was just a hobby computer. I built it for kicks. I wanted to see if I had enough quality parts to build a working computer. The cpu used in that computer is naked and being cooled by a cheap heatsink+fan lol.

Upvote 0
That's absolutely ridiculous. All of it, actually.

1. So a computer in a plastic case is also at risk I guess? Or any case with rubber feet? Or any case sitting on a carpet? I guess my Captivate is also at risk of ESD because it sits on a table or my bed, or wherever instead of having direct contact with the ground.

The cardboard case worked fine. The only problem with it was the fire hazard risk. Otherwise it had zero problems to worry about.

2. The watercooled system had 2 sticks of ram in it. If you can't see it, it's purely by perspective. They're in there.

Wow, bro, I wasnt attacking you personally, or even your builds, was just trying to have a little fun with the pictures you so "drunkenly posted" and give a quick, rough explaination of how ESD might affect a computer system in a cardboard box. I guess I do see the RAM in the water rig, on closer look, they appear to have a shiny heatspreader on them, the reflection of the empty slots next to them gave a wierd optical illusion at a glance.. my bad.

But since you made the statements, how would rubber feet or a carpet keep something being from grounded? Being " Electrically grounded" doesnt mean that it is touching the ground. If that were the case, then almost nothing is "grounded". Cars, aircraft, my computer sitting on my desk, you get the idea.
If you are curious about understanding what electrical grounding is, im sure there is a ton of websites out there tha could explain it better and less technical than I could.

As Sremick pointed out, things like phones and handheld electronics are internally shielded and would not dischage against your hand or vise versa with a static charge coming from your body to the phone. So if you rub your stocking feet on the floor and pick up your phone, you wont "zap" it. Now if you opened it up and exposed the sensitive "guts" and a static discharge hit them, they would be fried.

As for a computer in a plastic case, most PCs are in either steal of aluminum cases, very few are in plastic. If they are, they are usually fully enclosed so that there isnt a way for a person, or other statically charged object touching something sensative in the case.

Laptops fall
under the "mobile electronics" category and have special shielding to protect them. The parts that are shielded, the shield itself is generally grounded. That way, the shields would never build up a electrostatic charge, or a capacitive charge of any kind because it is constantly being bled to ground. This also helps shield out other things like EMI, and RFI as well as harmonics.

Since you are a computer guy, you have probably noticed then when you buy a brand new part, it comes in a special static shielded bag right?

Sremick had then explaination on the money from what i can tell. He went far more in depth then my "metal case" explaination. Its been a few years for me since I finished my degree in the field and the electronics I deal with mostly are already preassembled units. I just go around and maintain them or try to find out why they arent working. I work with PLCs, LCPs, fire alarm, securty and other building automation units in highrises.

Anyway, sorry if I upset you, I certainly wasnt meaning to.

Upvote 0
Sorry if I sounded mad or rude, it wasn't intentional. I obviously don't know that much about ESD. I know of it, and I thought I understood the basics but apparently I may have just been lucky all this time. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be rude sorry.

I have no problem admitting being mis or uninformed. I do my best. I definitely would never consider myself anywhere near being an "expert" on anything. Sometimes I take a leap of faith with the limited knowledge I do have and make strong statements which are more opinion than fact. I do so more when I'm drunk than sober if that's any consolation...

Upvote 0
As much as I do not want to admit this, mine smells a bit flowery as well.

Sitting in the DMV yesterday, reading this I laughed out loud. Got some strange looks BTW. I thought the OP was crazy. There was no way I was actualy going to do this. It was absurd to think his phone smelled "nice"

A about an hour later. My battery died. While changing it for my spare. I thought, why the hell not. Imagine my surprise when I find it does smell good. I even had my GF smell it to confirm. She was astonished as well. I have no idea how to explain it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones