Its been about a month since the G2 was released, how is your z-hinge holding up?General

Has your G2 z-hinge weakened over time?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Slightly but nothing major

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Its alway been loose

4 vote(s)
    7.4%

Last Updated:

1. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I got a chance to play with a G2 yesterday (loved it), but the hinge was severely jacked up. It was so loose that handling it even the lightest manner caused jigglin and such. I'm not sure if it was like that out of the box though, I kind of got the feeling it may have been worn down from constant usage. Honestly I don't know.

So I was just curious to see if the z-hinge can wear down after extensive use.

Advertisement
  2. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

Hinge is a non-issue for me, as I see no problem with it. I have 2 year warranty, and that is longer than I will probably have this phone.

3. saberhack

saberhack Active Member

no problem even had a fall from 3-4 feet on to the side had the body glove case no issues as of yet

4. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I had the phone replaced but due to the random reboot issue and this new one has better hinges. Non-issue for me.

5. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

no problems here

6. clitrenta

clitrenta Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's just a matter of which you end up with. My first G2 had a very snug hinge and it still is. I had been sent a replacement G2 at one point that I did not end up using and the hinge was definitely looser which was one more reason to send that 2nd one back. Now that I have the update, my phone is great, hinge and all.

7. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i am dont have this phone.. still trying to make a decision...waiting for more info about the Sprint Knight.. I might be the G2.

i think the zhinge might be a great design.
    with it fully opened or closed....
    it feels like a 1 piece solid device.

dont wiggle or start to slide like the epic
    or oreo like the pre
    or hold in half way like moto

8. EdWRX

EdWRX Member

Mine has become a bit loose, but nothing to worry about, also fell from 50cm from the floor, and only had a small scratch, and the hinge didn't suffer any damage.

I'm rockin this phone!

9. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

with the Merge coming soon (hopefully)... debating on G2 now or waiting for Merge... the early hands-on for the Merge seem to really praise the Merge keyboard... wondering if even better than the G2's... with a non-hinging slider design, I'm thinking the Merge to be a "better G2"... i wouldn't even mind the Sense UI... although going to VZW could be an issue... although the way T-Mo is becoming (charging for tether, throttling past 5GB, making it difficult to get EMP now... T-Mo isn't the nice little carrier it used to be...

10. J_5

J_5 New Member

Dropped mine a bunch of times and the hinge is still holding up just the same as the day I got it. I've had no problems with the hinge.

11. djsinco

My hinge is not "tight" but it is not a concern to me. With the keyboard open, it has no slop, and has remained pretty much the same for the six weeks I have enjoyed having it.

12. Artemis68

Artemis68 Active Member

I've had no problems with my hinge. I don't know if it's "tight" or not. I know it will fall down if I hold it upside down but I don't do that anyway so it's not a concern.

I haven't felt any differences or noticed any wear and I consider myself a really heavy user.

13. Texter

Texter Well-Known Member

Looked at this tonight because my son is interested in it. Can't see getting one without buying a warranty. Two years is a very long time and I doubt it will last that long. Having said that, he has an old G1 with a unique hinge and it holds up just fine.

14. djsinco

IF you can buy the phone at Costco with an AmEx card, the phone is covered for 2 years. As far as demo phones on display in a store, these phones take a lot of abuse and in some cases would not represent how they might work for an individual.

15. andycall

andycall Member

It feels a bit wiggly but its been like that since day 1. I don't think it got any worse a month later. Pretty happy with the phone so far.

16. iownaG2

iownaG2 Member

My hinge seemed a little loose at first and I was initially concerned. However, any way that I hold it with normal use, it seems to be designed well so that the weight of it keeps it closed whenever I need it that way. If I TRY to make it look loose, it will. But no problems with daily use.

17. No_Nickname90

No_Nickname90 Well-Known Member

Nope. The hinje is loose, but it's only because the way the hinje is designed. I mean, it's nothing that I have to worry about. I mean, the phone does get affected by gravity, but no. That hinje you're talking about was abused. LoL!!

18. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

holding up great here!

can't perceive any difference between now and the day i bought it

and here it is.. middle of jan2011 (bought it first month it was out!)

:cool:

19. Dezden

Dezden Member

I got mine about 2.5 weeks ago... I dropped it for the first time today, and I do feel like it's a bit looser now, but I also think I might be making it up. Heh..

20. YellaDogg2002

YellaDogg2002 Member

My G2 is good and tight like 44DD in a 40DD bra....

soada101 likes this.