• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's happening again.. dust :(

barnacles

Android Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2010
Dekalb, Illinois
I don't even think im gonna bother with all the crap I went through last time, but I wanted to see if anyone else was seeing dust under there screens? My hero was horrible, had the evo for about a week and sure enough dust is accumulating in the upper right.

I don't understand how HTC cannot put together a phone to keep dust out yet they can fit amazing hardware into the thing. I never ever had this problem with any of my old phones (besides the hero)

Yeah I could exchange it, get another which will prob accumulate dust. Or call HTC and send it in for another 3 weeks. But I just feel after all the problems the hero had with dust they might concentrate on sealing it properly.

I know some people think this is being too picky. But a 600 dollar device should not show dust less than a week after owning. Sadly, I'm just not that surprised..

Before putting your EVO in your pocket please empty all dust from your pocket. =P

Im guessing maybe your EVO has the raised screen issue? Thats the only way I can think of dust getting under the screen. I have the Rocketfish phone case, it was cheap and works well. So far no raised screen and no dust that i can see.

Upvote 0
Before putting your EVO in your pocket please empty all dust from your pocket. =P

Im guessing maybe your EVO has the raised screen issue? Thats the only way I can think of dust getting under the screen. I have the Rocketfish phone case, it was cheap and works well. So far no raised screen and no dust that i can see.

Some light leakage from the bottom. I've had a case on from day 1.. I try extra hard to clean my pockets before pocketing too.

Upvote 0
You need this:

swiffer.jpg

Upvote 0
OP, you will have to excuse most of the members on here. They somehow think these devices are flawless. They are not.

My hero had major dust, my first EVO had dust, and I've haven't gotten my final replacement yet (in the mail) but I expect that to get dust as well.

People sometimes think they know how dust is entering, i.e. volume controls, headphone jack, bottom connectors, etc...the reality is, none of that even matters...and they are wrong.

The screen is attached/sealed to the front panel of glass, it shouldn't matter if dust enters the device or not, as the screen is attached with double sided foam tape to the front. The problem is HTC is not adequately sealing the screen to the front panel.

After taking apart my Hero, cleaning the dust, pressing very hard on the seal after putting the screen back, I no longer had dust issues.

My EVO, absolutely has dust, it is accumulating in the upper left. Again, it has nothing to do with what connector is near the dust entry; its actually the seal that is broken in that area.

Unfortunately, most of the 'no dust' replies are simply because they are not looking closely enough with adequate light.

The dust issue is simple another example of HTC's poor build quality.

In time, they WILL notice dust, until then, read the replies below this post from users that fall into my aforementioned category that would seem to invalidate my accurate claim.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, most of the 'no dust' replies are simply because they are not looking closely enough with adequate light.
Something that requires me to go out of my way to find is not an issue for me. If I can't see it from normal use then it's not an issue.
You constantly go on and on about how horrible HTC is but yet you've been through Hero's and EVO's several times. If it's so bad then why not just return it and get your money back? ...or a different phone? I think of this everytime I read your complaints...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
, (attributed)
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

That said, I'm not saying the dust isn't an issue. I'm just saying if you have to jump through hoops to find it, then at that point it's not an issue!

Upvote 0
OP, you will have to excuse most of the members on here. They somehow think these devices are flawless. They are not.

My hero had major dust, my first EVO had dust, and I've haven't gotten my final replacement yet (in the mail) but I expect that to get dust as well.

People sometimes think they know how dust is entering, i.e. volume controls, headphone jack, bottom connectors, etc...the reality is, none of that even matters...and they are wrong.

The screen is attached/sealed to the front panel of glass, it shouldn't matter if dust enters the device or not, as the screen is attached with double sided foam tape to the front. The problem is HTC is not adequately sealing the screen to the front panel.

After taking apart my Hero, cleaning the dust, pressing very hard on the seal after putting the screen back, I no longer had dust issues.

My EVO, absolutely has dust, it is accumulating in the upper left. Again, it has nothing to do with what connector is near the dust entry; its actually the seal that is broken in that area.

In time, they WILL notice dust, until then, read the replies below this post from users that fall into my aforementioned category that would seem to invalidate my accurate claim.
Thank you. I appreciate your post. I would agree those that claim not to have it very well might, but might not see it. I'm outside a lot and when the sun shines on it its very clear. So no, I don't have to go out of my way.

It's a shame some assume I'm incompetent or doing something different then them.

Upvote 0
Dreamliner, I had the Hero and I have had ONE Evo since launch day and have had zero dust under the screen on either one of them. For you to come on here and proclaim they all have the dust issue is not only wrong but irresponsible!
You know how many heros HTC took back because of this. The issue is widespread. Maybe not with the evo yet, but of certainly was with the hero. HTC told me themselves it was a defect.

Upvote 0
I have to admit I had the dust issue on my first Hero. It accumulated pretty fast and was very visible during day to day use. I exchanged it within the 30 days and my second Hero never had the problem. My Evo does not have any dust but to the Op, if you have dust then by all means exchange it unless you can live with it. Good luck

I figure I will wait and see if it gets worse. My second hero had it worse then the first so this is another fear of mine. Maybe I just had bad luck with this one

Upvote 0
Barnacles, I am not saying the dust issue does not exist but it is not on every phone.

Oh I know. But I also believe that some have it and might not be capable of seeing it as well.

None the less, there should be no issues imo. We are to the point we can have 1 ghz processors in phones, enough power that used to power computers, yet we can't seal the screens we put in them. And again, I get not everyone has it, but some people do.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
They somehow think these devices are flawless. They are not.

Sitting in my car today, really sunny, wiped my screen with a 3M mircofiber cloth I carry in my pocket with my EVO... and alas... dust in the upper lefthand corner!!!!!

Since I can't notice it at all when the phone is on, I probably won't do anything about it... YET. It is very, very small and can only be noticed in direct sunlight with a dark reflection.

To anyone else who had this... is there a way to fix it on an Evo? tighten the screen? use a case/protector that covers this edge?

I definitely will be keeping it in my pocket (hate belt/swivel holders), so I just hope this doesn't get worse, but right now I just need to take precautions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones