• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's happening again.. dust :(

vacuum your house more often? j/k. No dust here, but I'm wondering is it something obvious during regular use or do you have to look closely on your screen? Also, does it show up when the screen is on at all?

Had my evo since release, never noticed until today in the direct sun (NY might get to 100 degrees!) in the car.

When screen is on I do not notice it at all... though I just played a Youtube video to see if it would show on the black bar underneath the video and it does show.... though only in direct light.

Upvote 0
Sitting in my car today, really sunny, wiped my screen with a 3M mircofiber cloth I carry in my pocket with my EVO... and alas... dust in the upper lefthand corner!!!!!

Since I can't notice it at all when the phone is on, I probably won't do anything about it... YET. It is very, very small and can only be noticed in direct sunlight with a dark reflection.

To anyone else who had this... is there a way to fix it on an Evo? tighten the screen? use a case/protector that covers this edge?

I definitely will be keeping it in my pocket (hate belt/swivel holders), so I just hope this doesn't get worse, but right now I just need to take precautions.

Thanks for being honest!!! Yep, upper left is where the dust enters. Unfortunately, even when taking precautions, it will continually get worse. We've only had the phone for 30 days and we see the dust under direct sunlight, the question is...how many more days until it's noticeable during regular use?

Reactions: tomhagen
Upvote 0
wow you guys are something.

dust under the hero's screen was a widespread issue. not everyone had it, but it was so common that there was a need for concern.

the only time i ever noticed the dust on my hero was in sunlight. but it was really FRUSTRATING to look at. I would be using google maps and trying to wipe the dust every 5 minutes.

i had my hero for only 4 months before upgrading to the evo.
i'm praying this is not an issue that the evo picks up but i have already seen some posts suggesting it might be a problem again.

i'm praying for my evo :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for being honest!!! Yep, upper left is where the dust enters. Unfortunately, even when taking precautions, it will continually get worse. We've only had the phone for 30 days and we see the dust under direct sunlight, the question is...how many more days until it's noticeable during regular use?

I had the large area of tiny dust specs in the upper left corner which wasn't noticeable with the screen on, but also two big specs toward the center that were easily visible on the google homepage or any white screen. Several friends who checked out the phone noticed it without me saying anything, usually thinking it was dead pixels, or trying to wipe it off unsuccessfully. They were too big to be dust specs (maybe 1mm long, easily noticeable), my best guess is that it was lint from my pocket that got in through the headphone jack. That was a 4/16 v2 and I traded it for a 6/17 v3 and so far no dust, but it has only been a few days and I'm prepared for the worst in the long term! The power button on the new one isn't sinking like the old one, but the volume down button isn't as solid. It's kind of creaky sounding when pressed. Same screen on both, bright novatech with inaccurate (compared to calibrated monitor) but vivid colors. Light leakage on both. Bonus was that the new one wasn't updated and the best buy girl let me cancel the ota update, so I get unrevoked and free wifi tethering back, yay!

Upvote 0
I have never had a dust issue on any of my touch screen handsets. Its to bad they don't make a little plug for the headphone jack I think thats the most likely place the dirt is coming in from. The power and TV output jacks on the bottom are pretty well sealed. I almost never use headphones so I have put a small piece of tape over my headphone jack to help stop dirt from getting in.

Upvote 0
I had a significant build up of dust in the upper left corner of the screen on my first Evo. I exchanged it at ~28 day mark for a new one. The light leakage and grounding issue I could overlook, but the dust just kept accumulating and I wasn't happy about it.

FWIW, I work in an office environment and baby my phone. There's NO reason dust should have been under my screen. Lol.

Upvote 0
Although people keep claiming the way you use your phone is the culprit, it is not the LEAST bit. If I am meticulous enough to be concerned about dust under the screen, don't you feel I would be meticulous with handling the phone as well? I mean really..

After hearing those of you who exchanged and had the same problem, I'm holding out on doing anything. I spend my first 2 months with my hero dealing with problems, most of which were never fully resolved with a new device. Looks like for now its something to get used to :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones