It's official 2.1 is better than 2.2!

Last Updated:

1. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

At least in our house anyway. As long as I have a nice controversial title to rope you in i'll explain. I spent last night playing with both my parents DroidXs and my wife's Evo all of which are still on 2.1. I can say without a doubt and everyone in the house agreed thier phones run better. Sure my phone scores better on linpack but it doesn't translate to better performance. I think any performace gains we think we have are just imagined. I was in the same boat as many of you. I thought it performed better until I ran them all side by side. Sure mine will play a couple of videos theirs won't but not many. Once you have about 3 different browsers they will play most things on 2.1. If you're on 2.1, stay there.

Advertisement
  2. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

My 2.2 runs fine. Maybe you should try a factory restore

3. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

Matter of opinion I guess.

4. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your view....Now back to enjoying 2.2!

The word OFFICIAL should not be aloud in any thread titles! People use it to losely around here....

5. Lord_Kaizer

Lord_Kaizer Member

My 2.2 is great probably because im running a 1.3ghz overclocked custom D.C 3.5 Rom with fps unlock so my flash videos play a lil smother on the default browser

6. aclark414

aclark414 Well-Known Member

What exactly isn't running better? My 2.2 is running flawless and a night and day difference from 2.1. It was like when I went from my Hero to the EVO.

The Dorian, namoroman and Lord_Kaizer like this.
  7. hendodo

hendodo Well-Known Member

2.1 is better. Everysince 2.2 my phone havent been the same

ThatNewAndroidGuy and zombdroid like this.
  8. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

2.2 browsers experience has declined, but everything else is beetter

manny84 likes this.
  9. jerzeywill

jerzeywill Well-Known Member

I love 2.2 and don't have any issues with phone or battery. I prefer 2.2 over 2.1

10. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

it plays a*lot* more videos then before. i don't even use mobile versions of sites at all anymore. mine performs well. sorry yours doesn't. have you tried any of the tips for "fixing" froyo available on this forum? i know it seems like a PIA, but it could be well worth it for you.

11. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

Move on people just making his point 2.2 rules

12. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

13. ARR22

ARR22 Well-Known Member

2.2 is great. Please read above links ^

14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I put 2.2 on my Droid and it made a world of difference. Not just benchmarks, but just everyday use.

Scrolling in different settings pages is alot better, smoother. Scroll thru a long list of phone contacts, long list of apps and u will see. Unlocking the phone is better. Since the X uses the same unlock as the Droid I'm hoping the lag, stutter issue with unlocking on the X is fixed with Froyo too.

Although even with Froyo, most of us still used Launcher Pro or ADW. The stock Android launcher is just not as good as 3rd party, custom ones.

I know coming from 2.1 to 2.2 u need to wipe data, cache....everything first. Maybe a wipe will help ur phone perform better.

15. WarDamnEagle09

WarDamnEagle09 Active Member

I updated using the .3 version (EVO) and didn't notice any issues at all, except for not having .6 listed. But for peace of mind I updated to .6 using pojoman's fix. It does a clean install which I'm def a fan of, never like 'upgrades' always feel like its dirty. Anyway, my EVO is running great after it. Feel like its much smoother and snappier, but that could be an illusion. Anyway, thought I'd share, be sure to use mybackup pro or something similiar to keep your call logs, SMSs, and app data. Here are the instructions I used.

Pojoman vs. HTC - The race of the "delayed" 2.2 software fix. - xda-developers

16. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, 2.2 brought with it the shuddering unlock screen. It seems like every time I unlock my phone, the little bar we drag down wants so badly to just lock up and freeze. Aside from that nuisance, I think Im enjoying 2.2. I mean, yea, flash isn't the smoothest thing out there in here, but hell dude, I can now watch my love streaming sites all from my phone! That's whats up, in my book anyways.

17. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

The Droid X does some things better than the EVO. Cursor placement in a text field, for one.

18. killeronly001

killeronly001 Active Member

If 2.2 had a good Advanced Task Killer, then it would be much better for me. Regardless which is better, these devices keeps on updating. Sooner or Later everybody has to update. 2.2 is still fresh, I am pretty sure they will have thing to fix it's minor issues.

BTW, if you have battery problems then make sure you go to Manage Apps, and stop the running apps that you're not using, i think it saves more battery that way. Not many people know about this, since they relied on the Advanced Task Killer so much.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

There are more than a few people having significant problems after installing 2.2. Following the steps in the linked threads seems to resolve most issues for most people, but not all issues for all people. Some of the changes in 2.2 aren't bugs, they're deliberate changes, and I don't like all of them.

My take: I'm perfectly happy with the way my phone runs now. I'm not particularly in the mood to factory reset and have to redo all my customizations and reinstall all my apps. Nor do I want to lose the Unrevoked3 root and lose access to the several apps I use regularly that require root.

I'll wait and see if htc comes out with a bug-fix release in the next month or so. I really think htc and Sprint rushed this out with inadequate testing, because they wanted to beat Verizon and Moto to the punch on FroYo. Verizon and Moto may have taken the smarter path, though.

20. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

My Evo on 2.2 is smoother and faster pretty much everywhere, and all around better. Flash videos play in sites now, and VERY well. I made it a point to check 2.1 before I did the update so I would know for sure. And I know. Officially.

21. brushrop03

brushrop03 Well-Known Member

We really just need to put all of these "2.1 is better than 2.2" threads into one and put it as a sticky. I'm tired of seeing all these post.

Can we move on?

22. manny84

manny84 Well-Known Member

The WEB BROWSING on 2.2 SUCKS. But aside from that no major issues.

23. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

The only differences I've noticed so far were, the flashlight app, full flash support, and chrome to phone. Otherwise it behaves pretty much as before. :)

The thing is I love all 3 differences. Chrome to phone is amazing, calling a restaurant or office in the net is a lot easier now. :)

24. Camslam

Camslam Well-Known Member

Another MAJOR vote for 2.1. My phone was basically perfect before the damn update and now I have had problems that I NEVER had before.

I would attribute that to 2.2.

Problems that have popped up:

- 1/3 of my music and all of my video files literally disappeared from my SD card. I have no idea where they went.

- Droid X Multitouch keyboard no longer works.

- When my phone plays music or videos, I get pauses, crackles, and glitches on a regular basis, and while that happened maybe 2 times total with 2.1, it happens regularly with 2.2 everytime I watch or listen to something.

- Pandora sucks now. (Well documented I know)

- My typing while texting has a major lag now that wasn't there before.

- My bluetooth wouldn't allow me to speak until I pulled the battery.

- My phone mic for speaking into for calls and such didn't work. Had to pull battery for it to reset for whatever reason.

- I have had random lags and pauses just moving around from screens and loading apps, etc...

NONE of these happened before the 2.2 update. I still love my EVO, but I wish I had never downloaded that stupid update.

If you haven't had any problems, congratulations, but it doesn't change the fact that many of us have had our phones messed up from it.

No I haven't done a hard reset and don't have any desire to, I realize it is fairly straightforward, but having to reset all of my screens and load apps and all that crap is just something I don't have interest/time to do right now. Plus, if HTC, Google, and Sprint are going to push out an UPDATE of all things, shouldn't it be better?

Just my $.02

Pathetic.

25. brushrop03

brushrop03 Well-Known Member

MyBackup lets you restore your home screens. It takes about 15mins to reset your phone and have it up and running, and its something you really should do. Even on WinMo phones, when flashing (upgrading) to a new ROM or update you always do a hard reset. So stop complaining and actually do something about fixing some of the issues with your phone. Geez...