It's official: I F*%$@#! hate this phone.General

Last Updated:

1. A User Name

A User Name Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Bought my Eris in February. Loved it for a few weeks.

Then the battery started dying really fast. I joined these forums, got tips on how to maintain it better, to prolong the battery life, etc.

Between horrendous typing lag (It takes me about 3 times as long to type a text message out when compared to using a hard keypad on a Blackberry) the sound going out every day so I can't make/take a phone call since I can't hear anything, the EXTREME DIALER LAG when trying to dial a number that isn't in my Contact list, as well as other miserable experiences.

I've been active here for a while, I was on top of all the "tips and tricks" threads and all those other topics that helped everyone manage the phone better, but now the problems I am having with basic features of the phone are just eating away at my soul.

I did try my best to love this phone, but this shit is getting a tad ridiculous and I can't take it anymore.

I wish I could buy a new phone and get rid of this piece of crap, but I can't.

Woe is me. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  2. cgh

cgh Well-Known Member

:(
    Use Swype for your keyboard...
    Root and get 2.1
    Profit?

Soul=Saved

3. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Don't know if you're stuck with it now or whatever, but best thing you could do is 'try' to make the best of it I suppose.

With the lag while dialing numbers, are you keeping your 'Call History' clear? That's been working for folks I hear.

And I wonder if the typing lag, maybe using a different keyboard? I switched mine, but paid $1.99 (not to say you should go pay for something), but it's much easier for me.

I just think it would suck to be stuck with something and hate it.

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

oh boy

apparently you didn't stay on top of the tips and tricks

i dont use the stock kb so i can't comment, but swype is more then awesome, try it

if you read tips and tricks and stuff, you would know that downloading the free app "call log trimmer" and setting it to 5 or 0 will stop the dialer lag

and some people have reported the no sound issue, with no resolution other then maybe doing a factory reset or flashing 2.1 again.

you put yourself in this position loading a not quite finished OS on your device, as many people did, me included.

5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

The only real gripe i have after rooting my phone and running the sense-able v2 rom is the storage space on the phone for apps. I find myself not getting certain apps because of the space contraints. This was the only dealbreaker for me.

6. Stephanie1981

Stephanie1981 Member

Definitely get Swype. As for 2.1, rumor haas it that the OTA will be on the 24th.

7. A User Name

I am using Dialer One for the dialing lag.
    Swype sucks.

8. Caddyman

in your opinion.

alk1 likes this.
  9. cgh

cgh Well-Known Member

lawdy lawdy rumor has it :p

10. smacky

smacky Banned

I don't like Swype much either. Used it for two weeks or so and just got tired of it.

Just manually delete your call history. Also, make sure you aren't suffering from the 50% without signal bug. Go to Settings, About Phone, Battery Usage, and select Cell Standby. Look at the bottom and look only at the percentage, not the time. If it says nothing or says 0% you should be ok. That should save the battery.

If it says anything about 10%, you may have an issue with the bug. What you'll need to do is in these steps

-put phone in airplane mode
    -place on charger
    -let it charge for about 10 seconds or so
    -unplug the phone
    -take out of airplane mode
    -wait a few minutes and go check your time without signal again. It should be back to 0% and should stay that way.

Restarting the phone resets this, unfortunately, so you will have to do this once in a while.

ericDylan and mandable like this.
  11. A User Name

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

You are aware that for it to be "official" you have to have all forms filled out in triplicate and turned in no later than 4:47 pm on a Wednesday that does not precede a Friday or follow a Monday in the same month. The forms must also be notarized and singed in your own blood.;)

Sorry you are having trouble. It always sucks when tech you like doesn't work.

13. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I share you opinion of Swype. Goofy, strange, unnecessary for me. It was a whim that I tried it, and was happy to toss it.

It is popular, though. Just goes to show you.. ;)

14. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

I freaking love swype...if I could marry it I would. Can you take the phone back for a replacement. I've only had my phone for about a month now and I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned...maybe you got a lemon.

I just now deleted my caller history (never even thought about looking at doing that), I had a ton of calls in that log and when I dialed a number the numbers showed up instantly when I pressed the button.

I know, I hate it when I have a problem then some moron (like me) says my phone doesn't act like that. But I was only stating my experience to show that it might just be that you got a crappy phone.

15. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

OP never stated that he put 2.1 on his phone...

16. Eris_2.1_2010

Eris_2.1_2010 Well-Known Member

I tried that and now it says android using 100% battery. Is that good? Or should I try it again

17. A User Name

It's just the overall OS of the phone. I only have like 20 contacts but for some reason every person I have on Facebook shows up in the caller log, so when I try to dial a number, it is searching through hundreds of people to match the number I am dialing.

I'm just over this thing...

18. Caddyman

the problems he described were problems in 2.1... :)

19. A User Name

Caddy is correct. Although I have had 2.1 since the first leak and have never really had issues before, or was able to deal with them, I've just reached the boiling point with all this crap and give up trying to use the phone for basic things.

Hell, I can pay my bills, book plane tickets with no problem on this thing, but ask me to send a text or make a phone call and watch me throw the phone across the room :rolleyes:

20. Mojorisen

Mojorisen Well-Known Member

I see. I have the "dialer" issue at times, but still running 1.5. Haven't had the others though... I didn't realize they were still issues in 2.1.

21. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Swype is a must have for me. I used it alot. It comes in handy when typing text on facebook or writing an email. It is abit of a hassle when doing other things but its not that bad really, you get used to it. One nice feature of it was you didn't need to be very accurate with your typing. With the onscreen keyboard i used to hit letters next to the one i wanted to type all the time. I've even used to using an onscreen keyboard with my ipod touch, but for some reason this keyboard they included on the eris is even smaller and easier to mess up when typing out text. Anyhow with swype most of these errors were gone and i could input text alot faster, and by alot i mean a ton. I was typing 3-4x faster with swype than with the stock keyboard, so thats saying something.

22. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

I also experience insane lag when typing in landscape mode. Anyone else experience this?

It's fine when in portrait but when in landscape it can literally take one or two seconds between each character. Sucks big time.

23. OfTheDamned

I guess that is one of the reasons I never see any typing lag. I use the compact qwerty in portrait all the time. Never liked Swype.

24. irish1136

irish1136 Active Member

Where can i find swype?

25. OfTheDamned

irish1136 likes this.