It's Official... the Hotspot Ride is over.General

1. LazarX

LazarX Member

Sprint pushed a mandatory firmware update which while stating it a performance and reliability update had a more serious mission in mind.

Given how popular the phone is with Sprint customers. (The day I'd registered mine, they hadn't been signing up any other phone for days) It was inevitable that the free hotspot avenue would prove popular. It was also inevitable that eventually the Sprint engineers would take notice.

They did. And today they nailed the backdoor shut on the free Hotspot. None of the applications like Quickset are going to be giving you that feature unless you either pony up to Sprint or root your phone.

If you're going to root your phone keep the following in mind.

1. Don't do this if you don't have full ownership of the service. If you're on a family plan or on one through the generosity of a friend, it's the height of irresponsibility and downright unethical behavior to root your phone without the goahead of the person who's paying the main bill for you. As they're going to be the ones to catch the heat if you're found out. Thing again also on the ethical issues in trying to essentially "steal" a service they want you to pay for.

2. Remember that you may be pretty much on your own if you root your phone, especially if you brick it while trying to root it.

3. Sprint's aware of this little trick, they had nailed the backdoor on the EVO phones, probably before they shipped out because they were running an older Android, I suspect that since Optimus had shipped with a then brand new OS is the main reason we got the free ride for as long as we did. Well that's pretty much over.

Advertisement
    :
  2. shinedown87

shinedown87 Well-Known Member

By all means, if you haven't rooted your phone, you should definitely do it! Not necessarily for the hotspot (although that is a nice plus), but for everything else.
  3. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Well-Known Member

Are you mad cause they closed the hole or because you dont know how to root your phone and make it work again? :)
  4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

5. LordBane00

LordBane00 Active Member

Well he pays for his hotspot to be turned on or more like sprint gives it to him for free or something like that there are benefits to being a sprint employee.
  6. he_slices

he_slices Active Member

i just ordered this phone for this reason ! but i'll just root
  7. Nanoscale

Nanoscale New Member

Does anyone know about SetCPU? It's on the amazon appstore.
  8. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

why not just avoid the update?
  9. LordBane00

LordBane00 Active Member

For some the update forced it self to install.
    It did it on my optimus.
  10. chilinski

chilinski Member

Here's my issue. I bought three of these phones...for myself, my wife and for my handicapped son who lives in a group facility where they have not internet access for residents (only staff and administration). So the hotspot was nice for him to use, and he doesn't use it all that much.

But if I root his phone, I don't know what he'll do in the future if he gets a notice for an update. He'd probably end up bricking the phone in no time. So I can't risk this.

So for him, it's probably either pay the $30 or do some USB tethering thing.

So there are good reasons not to root.
  11. RazzMaTazz

Would accepting an update on a rooted phone actually brick it? I never heard that, and it doesn't make sense to me.
  12. JiggilyJoe

JiggilyJoe Member

13. RazzMaTazz

No JiggilyJoe. The thread that you linked to is old. Sprint killed these back-door WiFi Hotspot exploits in their LS670ZVD software update released on 3/20/11. NOMster revised his original post to mention this in the last paragraph.
    JiggilyJoe likes this.
  14. worldcreator

worldcreator New Member

What are the "everything else" benefits?
  15. shinedown87

shinedown87 Well-Known Member

I am not even close to a rooting expert, however the most important benefits for me are the following:

- Much more room to download apps. Without root I was constantly having to delete apps because I was out of space.
    - Better performance
    - My choice of themes (that can be changed whenever I want)
    - the ability to perform and restore backups (both nandroid and Titanium Backup)
    - The ability to restore not only my apps, but all the settings within those apps if I choose to reset my device
    - the ability to force the device to roam. Very useful in a particular building where I spend one day per week.