• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have been a long time Verizon user and happy with their network coverage, quality. But it looks like all the latest, great phones are going to GSM carriers (ATT, T-mobile) first in the U.S, so that makes me jealous of them. I also happen to be fan of LG phones and like my Vortex. It's nice to see LG is stepping up in the android game with Optimus 2X.
So I'm considering switch to T-mobile next time if they have the phones I want and Verizon don't have. I'm just unsure of their network coverage though I heard that they are pretty good in rural areas at least.

Upvote 0
Yeah one of the great things im liking about Tmo (just swapped from VZW myself) is Wifi Calling on my Optimus T. I have bad service in my house but thanks to the wifi calling ability i am able to make and receive crystal clear calls as well as sms and mms messaging. So yeah i am glad i switched. And i was tired of not getting the good phones.

Actually Motorola is the only one giving Verizon their best phones though there were some exceptions like HTC incredible and LG vortex. So if you happen to like motorola phones like Droid X, Droid 2, staying with Verizon is not bad. Unfortunately I'm not fan of Motorola's design and UI. Other manufacturers seem to get GSM phones out first and give it to T-mobile first.

And I'm not familiar with the way HSPA or HSPA+ wireless data is working. Is both HSPA and HSPA+ capable phone working fine under either HSPA or HSPA+ covered area but just with different speed? I got such impression somehow. In case of Sprint WiMax or Verizon LTE, they require separate radio antenna turned on for that reception in addition to 3G antenna. Can someone explain how HSPA+ network in GSM carrier is working with antennas?

Upvote 0
Actually Motorola is the only one giving Verizon their best phones though there were some exceptions like HTC incredible and LG vortex. So if you happen to like motorola phones like Droid X, Droid 2, staying with Verizon is not bad. Unfortunately I'm not fan of Motorola's design and UI. Other manufacturers seem to get GSM phones out first and give it to T-mobile first.

And I'm not familiar with the way HSPA or HSPA+ wireless data is working. Is both HSPA and HSPA+ capable phone working fine under either HSPA or HSPA+ covered area but just with different speed? I got such impression somehow. In case of Sprint WiMax or Verizon LTE, they require separate radio antenna turned on for that reception in addition to 3G antenna. Can someone explain how HSPA+ network in GSM carrier is working with antennas?

From what I have personally witnessed (with my Optimus T) I went to Dallas (an HSPA+ network area) and when I got there, I had a H+ on the screen where i normally would have a 3g. I wasnt really worried but gave a call to Tmo and asked what it meant and the Tech I spoke to (think his name was Steve) said that it stood for the + network so... im assuming that it is dual compatable.... i could be mistaken though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing what you witnessed. I believe that only HTC G2, Mytouch 4G are capable of HSPA+ reception in T-mobile phones. But from your experience, it looks like even HSPA phone can detect the presence of HSPA+ and display it while it's only getting 3G speed. Probably those two HSPA+ phones from HTC work like dual detection like you say. If so, I like that compared to having to turn on separate radio for WiMax or LTE in Sprint, Verizon phones.

Anyway back to the topic, it's not clear to me if Optimus 2X comes with HSPA+ or other high speed data like LTE or not. If it does, it could be almost home-run phone for LG. If phones like this don't come to Verizon on the same timeframe, I might switch carrier.

Upvote 0
Take a look at this completly unedited leaked video guys. It's an amazing comparison between iPhone 4 and LG Optimus HDMI mirroring.

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jil4CEEryW8

Looks cool I still want to see a video capture sample @ 1080p..

Also wonder if CES or MWC will show projector phones like last year's Samsung Beam (that never made it out of Singapore).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones