it's raining droids...alleluja.

Last Updated:

1. Interventizio

Interventizio Member This Topic's Starter

Anybody had his phone impact the ground? How tough is it really? My personal theory is that a metal case tough sign of toughness and good materials involved can make the thing also heavier and thus it can hit the ground more violently because of that. After all it boils down to how well the internal parts are put together imo, and a phone made of rubber would certainly be more "resistant". And of course th bigger the screen he easier it can break by falling. So what is your experience?

Advertisement
  2. jmims

jmims Well-Known Member

Christmas Day I dropped my phone as I was walking out to my car. I'm assuming when it fell it hit the ground on the top left corner first, as my screen had a wicked crack in that spot. The only problem that arose from that crack was it interfered with the proximity sensor, so I wasn't able to view the screen during a phone call unless I slid it open. That in turn effected my calls all together, and I ended up paying for a new one.

3. shinesley

shinesley Member

The first day with my new Droid, I dropped it screen down into a pile of rusted nuts and bolts. Needless to say, I was scared to death to even pick it up. I eventually did and not a mark!

Whew...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

dropped mine on the driveway while getting out of my car. just a few scratches

5. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Heavy things don't fall faster. That being said I've dropped it and it's been fine. It's probably the luck of the draw since it really depends what angle and where it hits etc.

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

The metal construction doesn't mean that every part of the phone is good quality. Look at the camera button; the substrate there is white. Would it have killed them to give us a brass button, or even just making the substrate black so it doesn't stand out so horribly when the brass colored coating chips off? Also, the headphone port is just three contacts lined up to touch your headphone jack. They couldn't even spend the fraction of a penny that manufacturers probably pay for the 3.5mm headphones jacks that you can find in those $8 ripoffs of the iPod Shuffle on DealExtreme.

It's a great phone, but I'm just saying, don't think they didn't try to skimp out as much as they could on what's underneath the pretty exterior.

7. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

no, but they hit the ground with more force ;)

8. Les Common

Les Common Well-Known Member

OP sed "hit the ground more violently", not "faster". More force, not more speed.

Force = Mass*Acceleration

More mass, same acceleration gives more force. Or violence, if you will.

Haven't dropped mine yet, so no direct report here.

-Les

9. fatcanadian21

fatcanadian21 Active Member

i had verizons invisible plastic case on my phone, it slid out of my coat pocket about 3 feet from the floor, case cracked, battery flew out, then the phone slid into a puddle of water. completley cooked. rooted as well, interesting insurance call that was. had to lie and say i lost it while sledding :p

10. PridgNYC

PridgNYC Well-Known Member

Insurance covers water damage.

Dropped mine from about waist height onto a linoleum floor, no damage.

11. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

i think he was more worried about the rooted bit lol

12. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Well-Known Member

I dropped mine (after having a few too many drinks) in the parking lot. It hit the top part and gave the top a small rash and landed screen down. I was worried until I picked it up and besides the small rash on top, everything else was fine. I don't intend to drop it again because I think I was lucky, so I've been more careful with it.

13. anderson.mcdaniel

anderson.mcdaniel Active Member

I dropped mine off the desk onto a wood floor, battery came out. Replaced the battery and restarted, no problems, maybe a nick on the metal around the screen. It did hit me in the leg on the way down, maybe slowed it down. More emotional damage than physical. I promised my droid I would never do that again.

14. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I dropped my phone from a window sill to tile, and the screen didn't crack but it stopped working, had to get a replacement. Just my experience, so now I'm terrified to drop it.

15. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

I read some of these horror stories and it's like, 'Yeah, mine fell into a wood chipper and I was really afraid to look at the screen...". Lol!
    I'm not funnin' on anyone's misfortune; I completely feel for ya. It's just that I'm so freakin' careful with mine that I couldn't even imagine dropping it.
    Meanwhile, tonight my wife had our 3 week old baby in one hand and her Droid in the other, and... "plop" went the Droid onto the floor. Only two feet from the couch, but still. She picked it up and looked over at me, as I was playing with mine. She grinned sheepishly and I said, "Not fer' nuthinn', Honey, but if it comes down to dropping the baby or dropping my Droid, welll..." Of course I was kidding (don't stone me!).

16. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I've had five or six drops, three for them on concrete and asphalt, from a minimum of four feet. In two of the three "big drops" the Droid ended up face down.

Screen is still perfect, not even the slightest scratch or blemish.

Frame around screen has a few dings/paint chips.

Overall very pleased w/the toughness of this phone.

17. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

wow, my first drop was screen down and it cracked. sad. got a new one

18. xjestersdeadx

xjestersdeadx Well-Known Member

I've dropped mine but I've tolerated a rubberized case on it and was glad I did. No screen protection, but dropping it on concrete and could find no damage at all.

19. lone_anarchist

lone_anarchist Well-Known Member

i think the title needs to change, i thought it was really raining droids i was so happy to look outside, but then there wasnt any droids :( jk jk... i've dropped it from about 5 ft onto a wood floor. nothing. same thing but on carpet. nothing. and it dropped about 2 ft and it was caught all ninja like in my hand :p nothing wrong with it still to this day, except the damn camera button which seems to be hard to start lol but thats been like that since i got it. and haha at the comment of i dropped my droid in a wood chipper LMAO, drop the phone off a building the screen will crack lol but it will still work

20. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

Lol great story, but I agree I couldn't imagine dropping my phone, and I almost NEVER do, I think my story was the first time that the particular one was dropped. Sometime poop happens

21. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Mine has taken a few hard drops in my car(the car dock's suction...sucks) and not a single crack.

22. Negativism

Negativism Active Member

Mmine has been dropped numerous time on tile. Coouple times on concrete and surviveewd protecting my thigh from the edge of a table. It has 3visible dent/scratches on the bottom edges. Slightly loose headphone jack which from what I read is common iin bot abused and unabused droids. Works like a charm

23. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

It's loose because there is no headphone jack. It's literally just three contacts lined up to touch the 3.5mm plug when you plug it in. It's ridiculous.

24. Interventizio

Interventizio Member This Topic's Starter

... except the damn camera button which seems to be hard to start lol but thats been like that since i got it.

Ithink that copper-like button is the most pathetic thing in the droid. Resembles the the grid in radios the time they broadcsastepresley's songs. And it gives the impression it may be falling apart any time.

25. Aero7

Aero7 New Member

I dropped mine about a week after I bought it. I was in the dressing room at Kohls and was trying on pants, when I turned mine over I saw it fall from about 5 feet off the ground. My heart skipped a beat as I saw it hit the ground...and then bounce about a foot in the air. The battery popped out and it landed face down. I picked it up and not even a scratch. Needless to say I got lucky. But I have had it for about a month and a half now, now screen protector or anything and the glass looks brand new. But some of the paint is chipping on the camera button and I have a scratch on the black bezel.